Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 130 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

KA2DDX Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2017 17:42 Send this review to a friend
Simply the best  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
So, I finally broke down and bought the ftdx5000 July of this year and have had it 5 months. I have been very pleased with my ftdx3000, but this baby surpasses it. It has the best receiver around (in my 55 years of ham radio experience), the best filtering, and the receiver is so easy to listen to for long periods of time. Hooking up the sm5000 and my dmu2000 simultaneously was a piece of cake. I can watch spectrum, audio and "o" scopes all at once. Audio into my Senheiser headphones is outstanding.

Not much more can be said that isn't already said by others in this space. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I am mine.

73 - Larry KA2DDX

G4OER Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2017 07:52 Send this review to a friend
Masterpiece  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned most radios in the past 25 years. Nothing comes close to the 5000. The noise filters are essential in my QTH and background hiss etc can be completely iradicated.

Not only does it perform well but it's really nicely designed and thought out.

DD2NU Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 07:24 Send this review to a friend
outstanding radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have my FTdx-5000MP for about 2 month. My first radio was a FT-301D, than for 10 years the FT-1000MP. The FTdx-5000MP is the best radio I have used at all. 5 points for that outstanding radio!

VE7RE Rating: 4/5 Dec 12, 2017 19:24 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING RADIO  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is by far the finest radio I have ever operated Period.

It's a joy to listen to and to operate. The filtering is fantastic and to date there is not a signal that I could not copy with the amazing front end and filtering sections of this rig. The DNR ROCKS!

If I had any complaints about this radio it would be that the AF gain/RF gain knobs are in my opinion, backwards. VFO "A" gain knobs should have been on the left of the VFO "B" gain knobs.

I have been using this rig for a while now and can not get used to that. I guess it's a matter of personal choice but for me it was a bad choice by the manufacturer however it does not detract from the very intuitive operation of this transceiver, and again it's just a personal choice. Others may feel different and disagree. To each his own I suppose.

I also think Yaesu should have recalled this rig for the OLED issues and solve the problems once and for all. I have not had any issues with mine and the radio is on every day for hours but still for the price point of this radio they should get this resolved once and for all and put this issue to rest.

Otherwise, the build quality of this rig is fantastic with a "real" S meter that is absolutely gorgeous and a perfectly weighted main tuning knob. I wish they had a Shuttle jog like my old FT-1000MP but the "Fast" button is handy enough and is located conveniently, I suppose this replaces the shuttle jog but again, in my opinion Shuttle jog was a great feature and It would have been nice to keep it with this rig.

All in All, a fantastic radio and I get unsolicited reports of "fantastic audio" and "Great Signal". Exactly what you want to hear from the stations you work.

The FTdx-5000MPL is a great replacement for my old FT-1000MP and I have no regrets with my purchase of it. None!

The Monitor scope and DMU are a nice additional touches as well although the DMU is WAY over priced for what it is and what it does.

However, At the current price point of this radio you are getting Big Bang for the Buck.

Buy one, You'll love it!

W5JON Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2017 13:20 Send this review to a friend
A PLEASURE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I could write about the outstanding sensitivity, selectivity, and ergonomics of the FTDX-5000MPL as others have. But what has really struck me after the first few weeks of use is, this radio is just a PLEASURE to use. In 58 years of Amateur Radio I have had many radios, by just about every radio manufacturer, but this is truly the best... enough said. 73.

ON4UZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 8, 2017 00:27 Send this review to a friend
Great radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the FTDX5000mp as a personal birthday gift 3 years ago and I'm still very happy with it.
Audio receive is great, no fatigue at all even after a few hours of operating. Scope from the SM5000 is usefull, speakers working very well.
Filtering : whow ! A lot of possibilities and DNR is always enabled, SSB sounds like FM.
Great repots with the MD100 and a cheapo Koss headset.
So far no issues.
Santa is coming around soon, perhaps a new FTDX5000mpl could be a great start of 2018.

best 73's

Bert ON4UZ

IZ5DKJ Rating: 2/5 Nov 27, 2017 09:54 Send this review to a friend
so and so  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello to all,
Here I am telling my experience with the Yaesu FTDX5000MP, lasting over 5 years. The radio has a very good receiver globally, the transmitter is powerful and clean, the controls that work all well and very well.
About a year I had problems with the OLED for the first time and I promptly informed yaesu.uk asking if it was possible to have replacement oled as a guarantee, so once I received them I could have installed them either by my technician confidence. The yaesu.uk answers me and tells me that the oled would have given them a guarantee, so agree with the help center in Italy, in this case by name *** & ***.
Unfortunately, *** & *** responds to me by saying that they do not provide the oled in warranty and that they have received no communication from yaesu.uk, so if i wanted the replacement oled I would have to pay 150.00 euro for spare parts only.
I basically bought the spare oled, paying them, and then installing them from my trusty technician.
My advice is not to buy radio from Yaesu, especially in Italy, where there is no communication with the parent company, and OLEDs are NOT GUARANTEED.
Now I sold the FTDX with new oled, I hope the new owner never has any more problems.

I do not recommend the Yaesu

Simone IZ5DKJ

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 26, 2017 18:00 Send this review to a friend
3rd FTdx5000 MPL  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just got a 3rd FT5000, had a D then the MP an now a MPL, all wonderful radios, brought the first one when they came out, the second one about 4 year later, now a new one on Black Friday 2017 I got a good deal, the MPL it's a GREAT Rag Chewing rig when using it with a G5RV, this setup hears very well an gives a great signal to noise ratio, with the MPL I can use this radio with out head phones an hear all my buddy's, even when conditions have not come in strong yet or are going out during Gray Line, most mornings on 40m & 75m a plus for an older HAM, these radios have been improved over time from my first D model, was so excited yesterday stayed up all night listening to the radio, in order for me doing that its got to be a GREAT radio. Have a Kenwood TS990s with a sleep timer, but I have never done that with that radio, do have a DMU that I am going to use with MPS that is used with a Yaesu FT950 so will be able to shift the feed cable back an forth between the 950 an the 5000 as I want for extra flexibility it can provide..........kb6hrt

HI8CJ Rating: 5/5 Mar 20, 2017 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Masterpiece!  Time owned: more than 12 months
One of the finest radios I had been ever operated in my 30+ years in the amateur radio field. Oled issue is not a big deal for a bad judgment. Totally an excellent masterpiece.

K4BDN Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2017 18:25 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Now that I’ve had my FTdx-5000MPL for almost a year I thought I would write a review. My FTdx-5000MPL, was manufactured in Oct. 2015 and I took delivery in April 2016.

I have only had 3 HF transceivers, Icom IC-730, IC-7000, and now the Yaesu FTdx-5000MPL with SM-5000 Station Monitor. My current antenna setup, which I did use with other 2 transceivers, is a broadband Hexbeam @ 45-feet, a fan dipole 80m, 40m, 20m @ 36-feet, 1/4 wave Sloper for 160m, a 40m dipole @ 42-feet, and an amplified receive-only magnetic loop antenna.

My basic set up is FTdx-5000MPL, a Heil PR-22 mic with the on board equalizer and transmit bandwidths adjusted as per the Heil web site recommendations. An ALS-600 amp, feeding the antennas with good quality RG8 coax. I normally run with the “Class-A” switch engaged, which reduces the power to 75 watts, while 5th- and higher-order transmitter IMD typically falls to -65 dB or better. In this configuration my ALS-600 amp really seems to work well putting out about 500 watts on most bands. I routinely get unsolicited “great audio" reports.

This rig is just amazing, especially under our current band conditions. Both receivers work superbly. With the 3 roofing filters, the outstanding DSP, and so many ways to adjust the filters I’ve been able to dig-out some very marginal signals to make contacts that I would have never heard on my other rigs, even before I installed the amplified receiving mag loop. Since taking delivery of this rig, I have added 85 DX contacts to my logbook. The auto-tuner easily matches my dipoles and the 1/4 sloper to a very low SWR. The second receiver is wonderful while trying work a hot DX or during the contests.

I know there are other outstanding HF/6m XCVRs on the market, but for the price you pay for the FTDX-5000MPL you would be hard press to beat it. Just take a look at the Sherwood Engineering, Inc. receiver test data and you quickly realize the FTdx-5000MPL is top notch and in keeping with good company.

This is the very best transceiver I’ve ever used or own.