Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions)
Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions) Reviews: 141 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $5750 (D version)
Description: The FT dx 5000 Series HF/50 MHz 200 Watt Transceivers are a new Premium Class of Yaesu radios with 2 Independent Receivers plus many unique options and accessories designed to meet the Performance Requirements of even the most demanding serious Amateur Radio operator.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=12FF98B9C73C8988F2398C979793E2E1&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTdx-5000 (including D and MP versions).

VK3ZAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2019 21:31 Send this review to a friend
Very Satisfied  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Radio arrived air freight from JA boxed like a brick outhouse and weighed in at 24 kg HEAVY.
Unpacked found only a US and EU power lead even though marked AUS delivered.
Once set up found it tuned to 7076 wsjt which was hilarious, had a first QSO with my old friend Mike VK9ZYX then in 3693 VY2ZM using just the 200 watts and a dipole.
Set up the SM5000 second hand unit found display bit dim.
Hooked up my DMU 2000 and finally had a goid spectrum display on a 17 inch monitor.
Will interconnect my VL1000 today but initial impressions were money well spent and wow when they say 200 watts they mean it. That power meter goes way up right scale!
As a radio for retirement my only issue is can I lift it in future or get help.
73 thanks for reading update.
To our Yaesu dealer Ross, good job mate!

VK3ZAZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2019 11:22 Send this review to a friend
upgrading from 2000D  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Buying sight unseen based on my needs and previous station performance on 6 metres, like 3KTT and need to step up from an aging 2000D.
So it is in the air as we speak, Australian delivered and will be supported by Ross.
At a tad over $5000 its bit of super money and I think I have earned it.
So stay tuned for an initial report to on air results as our summer dx is just 3 months or sonaway.

K0LEJ Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2019 02:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my FTDX5000MP back in December, 2016 after considerable amount of research.

My previous main HF radio was a Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V Field, which is still a very fine radio; however, as good at the FT-1000MP Mark V radios were the FTDX5000MP is a significant step forward in performance.

The radio has very impressive set of filtering and audio controls that really pulls out the signals. The audio reports are consistently good, and the radio layout is very logical.

I added the SM-5000 spectrum monitor and DMU-2000, and really like those options. I also use a low cost SDRPlay RSP connected to the 9 MHz IF output and run the Win4Yaesu software to provide a waterfall display and full rig control.

My FTDX-5000MP has been an incredibly strong performer, and by every measure is a HUGE improvement over my FT-1000MP Mark V Field. If you are looking for a "top shelf" radio the Yaesu FTDX-5000 MP Limited needs to be on your short list.

W6OU Rating: 3/5 Apr 1, 2019 23:20 Send this review to a friend
OLEDs faded - $300  Time owned: more than 12 months
A lot of users have experienced the vertical line problem on the three OLEDs. I never had that problem but after seven years my OLEDs became dim. I took the unit to Yaesu in Cypress California to get the OLEDs replaced. I was told that OLED replacement was free if the problem was the vertical lines. However, it was $300 if the problem was dimming. This is odd because I consider dimming a bigger problem than the vertical lines. The Yaesu technician told me the new OLEDs would probably dim again with age.

N4MIT Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2019 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned mine for 2 years now. I operate all bands and all modes, including digital. I find the receiver is quite responsive and with the added filters and other goodies (DNR/DNF ect) I can hear stations that I could never hear before.

Complaints... I don't really have any. I have had an issue with the antenna tuner failing and I had to send the radio to Yaesu for repair. Yaesu California was excellent... 3 days after they received it they had repaired, tested and returned it to me.

Operation is a breeze but you need to keep the manual handy because there are so many things this radio will do if you just know how. I use my computer for logging and CAT control with Ham Radio Deluxe and I have mine paired with the VL-1000 Quadra amp, it all works seamlessly.

Suggestions... One, it would be nice if there were a visual indication on the main display to indicate split vfo mode. A nice red "SPLIT" light near the main frequency display. Currently the only indication is the little red button next to VFO-B and that is very easy to overlook. I have had my computer switch VFO-B off (setting it to simplex) and I didn't know it. I was promptly yelled at by the pile-up... "SPLIT,SPLIT"

Overall I think my FTDX5000MP Limited is an excellent radio. By far, the best radio that I have ever owned in the 40+ years I've been a ham. I Love mine.

DV2AWN Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2019 09:52 Send this review to a friend
Superb Pro HF Transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just received my long awaited Yaesu FTDX5000 MP Limited last January 21, 2019. I waited for it for almost 3 months having ordered it from the Philippine Yaesu Distributor. It's as good as advertised and boy was it heavy (well compared to other radios i've owned and used). The build is top notch and upon opening of the box, i'm impressed right away with what i saw. DNR coupled with the other filters works wonder in my noisy environment. I would recommend this radio if money is available as it's quite expensive. 73 :)

VK3KTT Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2018 15:27 Send this review to a friend
why i chose an ftdx 5000 over ic7610.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
i chose an ftdx 5000mp over an ic7610 any regrets no. Simply a superb Radio. especially when dx chasing and the need to qsy super fast this rig does it. it hears very very well. the filter are excellent. tx audio with the md100 is very good. i could give it a 4 re digital compatibility but i didnt buy it for that i bought it for its superior rx in ssb and cw also for the lack of menus for major functions also for the 200 watts and inbuilt power supply. worked a pile upon 20m into eu with 400 watts. my ic 7300 sits quietly on the bench with out being used for the last 3 months and i dont miss it the few time i use it it felt clunky.re digital. what a pain in the but in the end i use an scu 17 for rx and signal link for tx in wsjtx .lol took a few weeks to sort but now i dont care. one of a few in vk3 who worked lu2xp on 6m with 200 watts and 7 elements. the other day the only station in Melbourne who heard ja in digi modes on 6m and worked them. so much more to say. if you can buy one it you main interest is ssb and cw and dx chasing. do it. i also have the sm 5000 with mine. btw 275 dxcc worked with basic rigs and 100 watts. here a link to my unboxing video hope it helps. 73
Steve
de vk3ktt / k3ktt

WW4DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 12, 2018 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Top Shelf  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned the FTDX5000MP for close to a year now. I am the original owner. Production of this rig was late 2017. Being a late production model, this one should not have the OLED issue. The receiver filtering on this radio is amazing. I'm using a Heil PR-40 straight to the rig, with Heil's recommended parametric EQ settings, and receive many unsolicited excellent transmitted audio comments. The key to enjoying the numerous feature of this rig, is to read, and re-read the owners manual. By not doing so, you will be missing out on the full capabilities of the 5000. My previous rigs were the FT-1000MP MK 5, and the FT-2000D. Both of those were great rigs. However, this rig without a doubt is head and shoulders above my previous Yaesu rigs, in every way.

MM0DVZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2018 16:53 Send this review to a friend
Very good  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Firstly i was licensed in 1989 and most of my radios have been Yaesu's with the odd Kenwood (TS850 SAT being the best).
On comparing RX capabilities i have struggled to get anything to beat my old FT 102 and i have proven this to many local amateurs over the years. Both the FT990 and FT 1000D were very good radios but the FT 2000 was a big disappointment to me. But the FTDX 5000 MP limited is something else.
RX is great and this radio has a low noise floor compared to other modern radios i've had and dealing with adjacent noise / QRN and QRM is easy. The layout is great with everything you need on a button rather than hidden in menus. The RX tone from the inboard speaker sounds great and reminds me of the FT102.
TX wise the audio with or without the EQ is excellent and with 200w available I couldn't ask for anything more from this radio. It won't suit everyone but for me it does what I need it to do. Also i have it connected to the sdr play to give a pan adapter for a good quality scope and looks great on a 24inch monitor which is great for us guy's with glasses as I found some radios with scopes a little small.
Before you go and buy one find a local friendly ham and have a play to see if it suits what your looking for from a radio. If it does you'll love it for sure.

ZL1GKB Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2018 01:00 Send this review to a friend
6 Years on, very happy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Iíve been using my Yaesu FTDX-5000D for about 6 years so I thought it was time to write a review.

In summary, I love it! Itís delivered exactly what it promised and it still gives me pleasure every time I power it on. Itís just a wonderful, rock solid rig that is a delight to use. I would recommend one without hesitation.

Itís got very pleasant, non-tiring audio - especially with headphones on - and has a very quiet receiver. The DSP features really make a difference and are great for dealing with QRN/QRM.

The user interface is very intuitive and easy to use. Iíve used the second receiver a lot more than I expected I would - mainly to chase split DX and monitor 6M when openings are likely. Iíve really enjoyed casual contesting with this rig too Ė itís unfazed by close-spaced strong signals.

Iím not far from our cityís AM BC towers, which can play havoc with lesser rigs on 160M and 80M, especially the ďshack-in-a-boxĒ radios. Iím pleased to report that the FTDXís brick wall front end is totally up to the task.

Like many others, I got the dreaded OLED white line issue about 4 years into my ownership. Yaesu USA sent replacements for the ďwhite lineĒ OLEDs free of charge and I purchased a third OLED to make up the set and put them away for a rainy day. When the dimming VFO-B got a little hard to read in daylight, I replaced them Ė a reasonably straight-forward job if youíve got a couple of hours. Should I mark it down from a 5 for this? Nahhh! For me at least, the rigís positives greatly outweigh the inconvenience of the OLED issue. The FTDX-5000 has been faultless in every other regard.

Iíve integrated an SDR-Play RSP unit running SDR Console 2.3 as a bandscope, for the best of both worlds, so to speak. So right now I donít feel at all compelled to buy a new rig. Perhaps when Yaesu releases its new high end SDR radio, I may change my tune.

Iím very happy with this rig and I strongly recommend anyone considering purchasing what must be one of the all-time classic traditional knobbed radios to just pull the pin now!