Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Help

Reviews Summary for Remoterig RRC-1258MkII
Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Reviews: 31 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $449
Description: End to end complete control of many popular HF trasceivers over the internet without the need for a computer at either the Radio or Remote Control end.
More info: http://www.remoterig.com

You can write your own review of the Remoterig RRC-1258MkII.

W5RHR Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2018 16:57 Send this review to a friend
added their accessories now even better than ever  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
since my initial review I have replaced the Alinco with my ft 857D and installed the remoterigs remote antenna switch, rotor controller and ip switch.
I can now remotely power the rig and accessories, change antennas, and turn my rotor from my remote location.

Initially there were some issues, cabling mostly, and settings for SIP that needed to be fine tuned.But has been working flawlessly.
I am having a small rfi issue when using an als600 amp and digital modes(the transmitter will not unkey) I have yet to troubleshoot and find the issue but on phone no issues.

K9RUF Rating: 5/5 Mar 14, 2018 16:49 Send this review to a friend
Don't Hesitate, Just Buy It!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I approached the purchase of this product from a different direction. I've owned an ICOM IC-7100 for years but it has never left my bench. My intention was to start with it there to learn it and then put it in the mobile. Well that never happened until I bought yet another rig and I started to think that I should "thinning the herd". Instead of doing that I thought well let's just move it to the car like I was suppose to a long time ago.

I have a Prius and as stories go they are not the best car to use an HF rig in because of all the potential noise that can be generated from all their electronic wizardry. So I stated just using it with VHF/UHF and that worked fine. I thought I wait on the HF piece until Hamvention 2018 (I call it Hamvention in case it moves from it's new location to somewhere else) to search for a suitable HF mobile antenna. A friend one night was talking about this thing called Remote Rig so I looked into it. The more I looked, the more I liked. I thought why not use it in the car with my 7100 and a mobile hotspot. I bought it and it works great. Since the HF is coming from my home QTH set up through the internet I don't have to worry about engine noise and other anomalies that plague HF mobile operations. There is hardly any latency that you can test by turning the volume control. It responds almost in real time. Then I realized I don't have to pay for that expensive Tarheel HF antenna and mobile antenna tuner. Together they are the price of this set up and it does so much more. Of course your experience doing HF mobile this way could suffer if you have a bad data plan from your cell carrier. Fortunately my Verizon works great. The data usage is minimal in case you are worried about that.

When I travel and get to my hotel and I use it there to talk back to all my buddies on our local simplex VHF frequency. This is the cat's meow. As a a product it's not new which is good being release I think around 2010 so it's in its sweet spot technologically speaking with firmware updates improving the product every so often.

I love this thing...really and for a guy who has been hamming since I was a kid in 1977 it's the coolest ham gaget to come along in a long time!

PA7DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2018 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Stable solution  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used this set profesional. It is working for many months 24/7 to solve long cable problem.
We use internet to control it. Fantastic ! If it is down it was always an internet problem. Nothing else.

K1CGZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2016 09:07 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't go on without it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Since I retired from my job, my XYL and I have been moving about to different QTHs. I tried numerous different portable set-ups to stay active in ham radio when I wasn't home. All of the alternatives had problems that were difficult to solve, most often antenna related. You just can't put up an antenna in many places.

RemoteRig to the rescue! I still travel with HTs, a QRP rig, and other small radios, but my main activity is to operate my IC-7100, which is in my home shack, remotely. I have the control part of the 7100 with me. I connect it to RemoteRig, and I'm on the air either from a LAN or through my iPhone used as a hotspot.

I did have problems with the initial network configuring. Mike at customer support was very helpful as was a ham friend with an IT background who came to my house to help me with the IP addressing and dynamic name stuff that I still don't completely understand. Oh, and port forwarding, whatever that is. Once all that network configuring is done, RemoteRig is great.

GW3YDX Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2016 11:59 Send this review to a friend
Great product, great support  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had trouble setting up the units, due to the "touch of death" that accompanies all my involvements with IT gear, but Mike at RemoteRig was absolutely golden with his assistance. As others have remarked, "does this guy ever stop support, even out of hours ?" I have NO IDEA why another reviewer said Mike was difficult to contact. He must have got something wrong, as I had about 20 mails to and from Mike, and at the end of it all I had my IC7100 control head in the South of France talking to the radio end in GW. Unfortunately the internet speed down here is absolutely grim. The RemoteRig boxes work fine after midnight and before 0730 French time. Outside that - forget it. There simply isnt enough bandwidth for a reliable link, and despite using Mikes suggestions for changing the settings for poor internet links, I have reluctantly accepted that until France Telecom get their ass in gear, remote wont work from here during the hours when most of us are awake and QRV. No fault of the RemoteRig boxes and no fault in Mike's support, which as been truly fantastic. For 20 years I ran my own ham business (Vine Antennas) and know that support is a zero-profit time-gobbler. There as never the slightest sign of any reluctance from Mike to help me fast, despite my reluctance to read the manual ! Buy with confidence, but be sure you have the internet to support remote before going down that road.

73 Ron GW3YDX

VE7EPP Rating: 5/5 Mar 1, 2016 23:52 Send this review to a friend
RemoteRig with Flex 5000 Working Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It took a while to setup but it is finally setup and working. I used it to setup a remote station at my QTH for a friend. It is working fine with the Flex 5000. We had to make a mic cable connector after we chose the radio jumper settings inside the Radio RemoteRig box. Not too difficult but we got it done and he is happy to be back on the air after moving to a place where he can't put up an antenna.

KE5BM Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2015 06:16 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was recently transferred to a location that required me to live in a house that is under the shadow of the NASA Wallops Island RF Quiet Zone. Lucky for me, I have understanding family in the area that allowed me to install a radio at their house so I could connect to it remotely.

After reading countless articles on how some had used various combinations of software for rig control with software for VoIP that seemed quite complex and unreliable, I decided to spend the money for the full RemoteRig setup. I figured when all was said and done, the cost would be about the same.

My setup is with a Kenwood TS-2000 so I decided to purchase the RC-2000 remote head unit to keep at the operating location to make manipulation of the radio easier than it otherwise would have been using the HRD suite alone.

Initial setup was, admittedly a pain. It certainly requires a level of knowledge in IP addressing and manipulation, LAN/WAN Router configuration, etc. In my case, there were a few minor issues that the configuration instructions did not adequately cover. However, a short email to the manufacturer and they provided additional instructions that had me up and running.
I highly recommend having a neighbor or ham radio buddy that lives close by help you out with configuration and testing prior to moving your remote system to it's site. I have a ham that lives next door to me and I was able to put my remote setup on his LAN so that I could do adequate testing before moving it. That helped immensely!

Once installed at it's final location I conducted testing (again with my ham radio neighbor) and noted almost zero lag (on a 1.5MBps DSL connection) and full control of the radio. The lag is so short, in fact that it's unnoticeable at the operating position and is capable of running time-sensitive modes like JT65!

Overall I'm very happy with this system as it has allowed me the ability to operate from the comfort of my home without transmitting from my home. If you need to make a remote install, I would highly recommend that you take a good look at this setup!

VA3MW Rating: 5/5 May 11, 2014 05:44 Send this review to a friend
Update   Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my remote rig in place for years now. I run a TS480 and a full contest station built around this one device. I also go for 6 months at a time without being able to make it to my remote base. That means I needed a device that would 'just work' and this is one of those devices.

While not plug and play, the initial setup only took a few hours and the TS480 continues to be the best radio for the price for this setup.

The support has been fine and I often get a response within a day from either the Forum or direct emailing to RemoteRig.

I have run many contests on this with an minimal cable internet connection (5M down and 600kps up). You can see some screen shots at my QRZ page and how I control my entire station. If you couple this with RemoteQTH, you have one heck of a station.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 3, 2014 20:35 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've been using these 2 boxes since September 2013 in a TS480SAT remote station located 4000 miles from the home QTH and they have worked flawlessly. I also use the webswitch from the same company to switch power on and off and reset units if necessary. There was one glitch involving the webswitch and the webswitch name
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 2013 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.

There are two serial ports that allow operation of remote control programs. I'm using an Elecraft KPA500 amplifier control program through one and the companion KAT500 auto tuner control program through the other. No further serial ports are necessary unless you have other remote programs or want to use a program like Ham Radio Deluxe.

I won't spend time here on the setup as many have elaborated on that already. If you follow the detailed instructions in the online manual correctly there should be no problem. What gave me the biggest headache were the crippled modems and routers supplied by the ISP. I had to go through 4 of them before one let me disable DHCP in it and use it as a straight through modem and could port forward through it from a DLink 625 router.

The convenience of not having to use a computer at the far end, the internal keyer with buffer that removes latency problems and the good audio make these boxes the best way to go.

A computer is necessary at the control location if you need to run remote control programs but not at the remote site.

Anyone interested can see pictures of the three antennas used at the remote site. The Elecraft KAT500 will switch 3 antennas internally via the remote program. Go to QRZ.com and check out VE1DXA.

The Remoterig RCC-1258MkII boxes have made my TS480SAT remote station possible. There are versions available for many other radios. Don't even hesitate if you are considering setting up your own remote.

VE7IG Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2014 12:31 Send this review to a friend
Really Excellent!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
server at Microbit but that resolved itself eventually.

I originally purchased these units in the early summer of 1963 and set them up at home before taking them to the remote site.