Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | MFJ-347 Dipole Hamtenna Mount Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-347 Dipole Hamtenna Mount
MFJ-347 Dipole Hamtenna Mount Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $19.95
Description: Build your own 80-6 Meter mini-dipole using two HF mobile whips!

Mounts on mast up to 11/4 OD. Super heavy-duty solid aluminum construction. Only MFJ has exclusive, isolated dipole elements that let you insert balun or coil up coax to isolate feedline. Gives you a true balanced dipole that prevents RF on coax shield, eliminates pattern distortion, reduces noise pickup and RFI radiation from coax and provides deep dipole end-nulls for nulling out interference.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-347

You can write your own review of the MFJ-347 Dipole Hamtenna Mount.

KD2BS Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2019 02:37 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've tried all sorts of portable antennas with results that were not so great. Then I purchased an MFJ-347 with 2 20M Ham Sticks (MFJ-2220). I attached it to a 5 ft plastic mast and attached that with two U bolts to a heavy duty portable PA speaker stand. It's only about 10 or 12 ft off the ground, but on FT8 I'm heard in Europe and worked Africa plus lots of stateside. Easy to set up and store and with a few more Ham Sticks, change bands.

KG7OR Rating: 4/5 May 5, 2018 23:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mount, but bandwidth issues on lower frequencies  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My MFJ-347 came with a pair of 20 meter "Hamtennas" (formerly known as Hamsticks), which is their MFJ-2220 package. I also had on hand a pair of 40 meter Hamtennas, so I got to try the dipole configuration on both bands. The results suggest that (1) it does work as advertised, but (2) Hamtenna dipoles on the lower bands will have a very narrow bandwidth.

I got the following results with my antenna analyzer, using an 18 ft. fiberglass tripod & mast and 25 ft. of RG-213 with a balun.

40 mtr bandwidth SWR 3:1 - 110 kHz
40 mtr bandwidth SWR 2:1 - 30 kHz

20 mtr bandwidth SWR 3:1 - 500 kHz
20 mtr bandwidth SWR 2:1 - 200 kHz

I also tried it with a 5-turn loop of coax in place of the balun, then with no balun or RF choke at all, with no significant difference in the measurements.

From that you can conclude that the MFJ-347 configured as a dipole with a pair of Hamtennas will be okay on 20 meters and great on everything above that, but expect very narrow-banded performance on 40 meters. I didn't try it with 75 meter Hamtennas, but one can surmise that the usable bandwidth there would be razor-thin.

The problem is the increased inductance in the larger loading coils on 40 and 75 meters, which unavoidably narrows the bandwidth. You could adjust the Hamtenna whips for a preferred frequency on those bands, then see how far up and down you can go with your tuner.

One other quibble: MFJ advertises that you can use the '347 with a balun, which is true if you're smart enough to figure out how to do it, because there are no instructions. Examining the mount as received suggests that you simply remove the tie bar that connects the shield side of the SO-239 to the second 3/8-24 antenna fitting, then connect one side of your balun to the bolt that previously held the tie bar. That's not exactly obvious to a new or or inexperienced ham, so it ought to be included in the instructions.

Bottom line: the '347 is very well made and does what it's supposed to do just fine. But be aware that a Hamtenna dipole will require a tuner to cover all of 20 meters, and you'll likely get just a piece of 40 meters even with a tuner. The result you'd get on 75 meters is probably not worth the high cost of a pair of those Hamtennas.

K6SDW Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2017 22:18 Send this review to a friend
It works!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What can be said about an antenna mount......it works.

K5TXA Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2015 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Just what i needed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this mount that came with 2 40 meter ham sticks to use for portable work. They work great! I have the mount bolted to a 1 inch diameter 8' pvc mast that I slide down on a tripod. This puts the portable dipole around 10' off the ground which is just right. Also, this mount/dipole can easily be pulled up in a tree for even better elevation and pulled up vertically. They don't pick up near as much rfi as a wire dipole I've been using, Rfi is so bad at my qth that I couldn't even work hf at home but this MFJ portable dipole does not pick up the noise. So now i'm able to work hf at my home. Cannot comment on long term durability but it is very sturdy as is the ham sticks that come with it if you but the bundle. Highly recommended!

N2NKW Rating: 5/5 Oct 14, 2014 18:48 Send this review to a friend
Works OK with hamsticks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using this with a pair of 40m MFJ 1640T mobile antenna's. I have it in vertical configuration hanging from a tree at 30ft. Have worked a lot of DX and stateside stations. Works very well in my opinion. I plan on getting some other bands to play with and use this mount with them. The MFJ ad says no need for a balun but it still needs a RF Choke balun as I do get RF back down my coax into the shack. All in all, it's worth the money.

K5DHL Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2013 07:56 Send this review to a friend
I like it !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have played with the mount for about a week - with a pair of 20M & 10M MFJ HF Sticks. Eveything seems to work well, I am making contacts (oklahoma to Florida) on 20M (10M is pretty bad this week).

WB0NRV Rating: 3/5 Mar 11, 2013 20:51 Send this review to a friend
OK inside, however...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed & tested on 20 then on 6 meters in the attic, worked fine. When I put up outside on tower standoff, had noise & irratic SWR especially with any wind. Isolated down to the brass looking SO-239 type fitting. It doesn't actually make good contact with the mounting bar as it turns easily by hand. After inserting a 1/2 internal star washer under the SO-239 the problem went away. Also coated with silicone to prevent rust on the zinc washer. Now seems fine.

K1WJ Rating: 4/5 Jan 28, 2011 18:46 Send this review to a friend
mfj 20 hamstick dipole  Time owned: more than 12 months

bolts supplied may be short for mast size - used with mfj 20m hamstick dipole setup - works very good for size - many contacts k1wj

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2010 19:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Results  Time owned: more than 12 months
This mount, unlike competing mounts, isolates both dipole legs from the mounting bracket thereby preserving the antenna pattern.