Reviews Categories | Power Supplies | PowerWerx SS-30DV Help

Reviews Summary for PowerWerx SS-30DV
PowerWerx SS-30DV Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $129.95 (119.95 street price)
Description: 13.85 VDC, 25 amp continous, 30 amp surge power supply. 2 Anderson Powerpole connectors (front) and 1/4 inch binding posts (rear). Fan cooled.
More info: http://www.powerwerx.com

You can write your own review of the PowerWerx SS-30DV.

N5RV Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2018 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Great, but....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Good for most applications, but has RFI issues on HF bands, sweeping birdies and hash mostly. I do like it but for my HF receive applications it just isn't clean enough.

W0MU Rating: 4/5 Jul 5, 2018 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Fan failure  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have two of these units and have taken them on a number of DX Peditions to J6 and V3. You can't beat them for the size. Some seem to have some RFI issues.

After many many many hours of use my K3 started shutting down for no reason. I found the power supply to be very very hot. The small fan had failed.

I emailed Power Werx for a replacement fan. They do not sell them they only do swap outs for essentially the cost of a new unit...????

I found a fan on Amazon for about 7 dollars. The fan size is 50mm x 50mm x 15mm. It is a 7 blade fan with a two pin connector, 12v dc. The fan can be removed without removing the main board. You may have to bend out the back of the case to get the fan to clear.

The fan size if fairly common with Raspberry computers and 3D printers. There were a few with a width of 10mm but at the cost of less air movement. I opted for more air.

N3ETA Rating: 0/5 Jun 10, 2018 19:08 Send this review to a friend
RFI generator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this power supply from Elecraft along with K3S
Radio and P3 Panadaptor. Didn't really need another power supply but figured if I had a problem with the new equipment. Elecraft couldn't question my power source.Well...for awhile I thought I had the K3S setup incorrectly. (It is a very configurable radio) But after spending weeks learning the K3S I still had a load of unaccounted for RFI. I finally pulled one of my other two switching supplies (Alinco 330) from one of my other operating position. Using the same power cable (The one supplied with the K3S) and placed in the same position, plugged into the same outlet. My whistles. moving birdies and general RFI all disappeared. So just out of curiosity I pulled an Astron SS-25 (Another switching supply) put it in place of the Alinco (Again, same power cable, same location, same outlet) and it to was clean. Conversed with a tech at Elecraft and the tech there told me.

"In some cases, hams have installations which worsen the amount of RFI the rig picks up from the power supply. It could be the type of antenna or feedline, or proximity between the rig and the antenna. Ferrite bead chokes or additional grounding can help sometimes.

If that seems to be the case with your unit, it is probably best to return it and get a linear mode power supply rather than a switching supply."
I explained the situation and am currently awaiting an RMA Number so I can return this Power supply.
I'm not sure if I just got a bad supply or if the design is questionable. But I couldn't real recommend this power supply to other. I can tell you this. It has nothing to do with the fact that it is a switching power supply

WB7DND Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2018 23:13 Send this review to a friend
Boring!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is one of the most boring pieces of equipment I have ever owned. All it does is sit there and keep the transceiver working.

Boring, boring, boring.

WA2ZQX Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2017 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Reliable-Quiet  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 2-years, no problems, no noise(40 thru 6 meters) and the fan is still running at a whisper...Compared to the fan-racket my MFJ-4245MV makes. Very compact and light weight, makes it perfect for portable ops. Output voltage has always been constant with no spikes. A good value for the price.

W2DL Rating: 5/5 Jan 28, 2017 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Perfect Companion for the KX3 Line  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Powerwerx 30-amp SS- 30DV power supply may sound like just another switching power supply. But it isn’t to me, a KX3 devotee. For the past five years, I’ve powered my one and only rig – a KX3 – with the Gamma Research HPS-1a power supply. Now that is a really good, really compact power supply. But I decided it was time for a few more toys, and so I recently purchased the KXPA100 amplifier and PX3 pan adapter, upping the power supply specifications. Researching a replacement, I became aware that Elecraft themselves recommends and resells the SS-30DV power supply for their equipment. It’s no wonder… the color and design integrate seamlessly with their equipment.

I purchased my SS-30DV directly from Powerwerx, because I also wanted to order several of their cables with Powerpole connectors. I was pleased with their service, packaging and – of course – the power supply operation itself.

I like the two Powerpole connectors on the front panel and the ¼-inch connector on the rear panel. It’s quiet – both aurally and RFI-wise (no hash) – and does the job. It’s relatively compact and has earned its real estate on my desktop and the Gamma Research HPS-1a is relegated to portable work when I plop the KX3 in a suitcase, leaving the amplifier and pan adapter at home.
Bob - W2TAC

KY5G Rating: 3/5 Jul 20, 2016 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Really, really noisy!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I absolutely want to like this power supply. And I HOPE I can figure out a way to "fix" the problem.

This power supply (at least my particular unit) puts out a varying magnitude spike on the bands from 160 meters through 10 meters.

The spikes occur every 34 kHz (indicating a 17 kHz square wave switcher).

The magnitude of the spikes varies over the different bands, but invariably adjacent spikes alternate in magnitude. For example, this morning on 80 meters:

S8 - S9+5 - S8 - S9+5, etc.

On 10 meters:

About S3 - S5 - S3 - S5, etc.

I have documented this with pictures from my panadapter for anyone who wants to see them.

Hooked my K3s up to a 12 A-Hr LiFePO battery and re-checked. ALL spikes faded almost into the noise floor. MOST of the spikes completely disappeared.

Oh, SS-30DV still ON. Switched off... POOF!

All of the noted spikes are gone!

Nice little compact package, and as I said, I WANT to like it. But I simply cannot use this directly on my radio anymore.

K6CRC Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 22:27 Send this review to a friend
Good and reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Compact and appears to be well made. Convenient powerpoles on front. Quiet fan. No problem after several years of constant on.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 14:16 Send this review to a friend
Never a problem  Time owned: more than 12 months
YMMV .... but I've had two of these little buggers for 3 years... no RFI, no problems. Recently bought the updated version with the LED readout, still the same. No problems. They just sit there and work, day after day.

KK9H Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2015 11:29 Send this review to a friend
No problem with mine  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I also bought one of these from Elecraft to use with my K3. When I first connected it I left the antenna disconnected and carefully tuned through all the bands. I found no indication of any power supply interference. When I reconnected the antenna, there was still no interference of any kind so that is not an issue. While operating the K3, the SS-30DV simply sits quietly in the background providing a steady 14.1 volts. I have no problem recommending this power supply. It does exactly what it's supposed to do.