Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 429 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

N0DZQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2018 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have opportunity, pick one of these little gems up. I haved owned mine for five years (replaced a 730) and am more then pleased. Bit the bullet this past November and purchased a 7300. I like the bells and whistles: however, I am not 100% sold on SDR and continue to play with the 718 because of its simplicity and hot receiver (works wonderfully on 630m where the 7300 does not).

It is a non issue not having FM or 6m. Just wish it had a removable head for mobile operation.

K4CWQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2018 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Greatest ham bargain  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a neat little rig with lots of good features. I would rate it a 5 for price alone. Ham radio shouldn't cost a fortune, especially for people, like myself, on a very small fixed income. The IC-718 can often be bought new for $500-600, when found on sale, plus factory rebates. Good used ones can be found in the $300-500 range, since this model has been around for more than 15 years and many were bought for starter rigs, then sold as buyers traded up to more elaborate radios. It's the top buy out there for a full feature, 100-watt HF rig.
The few negatives for me include the small front panel speaker, which has a tinny sound. I use an external speaker, which greatly improves received sound.
Also, it's noisy, wouldn't want one without the DSP.
Getting the best receive signal requires lots of adjusting of the RF gain and volume controls.
However, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my IC-718 for 15 years and would be hard pressed to let it go. Recently I considered purchasing an IC-7300 or a TS-590SG but thought about installing an INRAD 116 400 Hz CW filter, since I do mostly CW work. I have had a SCAF (Switching Capacitor Audio Filter) for the same length of time I have owned the 718 but wanted better "filtering". Well what a difference it makes. Now the SCAF is still installed with the 718 because when the INRAD filter is activated the SCAF can enhance the sound by raising higher frequencies without affecting the filtration. With the DSP system and 400 Hz filter I am keeping my 718 and saving the money. When I got my ticket I passed up on buying a TS-50 (another great radio) opting for the IC-718 instead. A great decision.

K7QQH Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 718 for about 10 years now and it's just a great little rig. Installed the CW filter and DSP modules and it works very well.

Am running it as a mobile rig with homebrew mobile antenna in my Jeep so it takes the (sometimes) rough-and-tumble of the mobile environment with ease. Seems like I can hear everything going on the bands (what sunspot "minimum" ????) and depending on where I'm operating from I hear and work PLENTY of CW DX.

The rig is simple, straightforward and has plenty of options for mobile operations. Whether in your station (fixed), or mobile/portable, you won't be disappointed.

Best 73's
Roger C.
K7QQH

W5KAO Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great entry old school rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own an IC-718 for almost three years (originally a new item) now and use it as my main base rig. If you can comprehend and use G4RNI advices (right now on page 3 of this review), you'll love the machine! I have bought another 718 (this time used one) for my another QTH. I hope it shows how I am satisfied with the radio.
In my case, put on 7MHz and lower RF gain at a little bit further counterclockwise, than 10 o'clock mark. On higher frequency bands you should decrease the deviation from 12 o'clock. On high frequency (15 m and higher) you can use preamp sometimes, when needed. Pay attention, this is my experience in my location with my sources of noise.

As a resume: great rig that just does the job! Recommend to anybody who understands how radio works even just a little bit and can follow simple instructions from G4RNI, like decrease RF gain or use an attenuator, if you are on a noisy band. Using this rig and a miltiband home brew dipole was able to do WAC in just several months. It works and works really well.

OE3HPU Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2017 07:19 Send this review to a friend
really worth the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The IC 718 ,especially when purchased as used equipment at about 300...400 has more advantages than disadvantages. I agree with G4NFIs observations and comments below.
PROs: Easy to operate, works great in CW when the FL52 is installed. The inbuilt keyer is one of the best I`ve tried out,the TX audio is loud and clear (I have the old bipolar transistors in the PA) and the RX is just OK with its 85..90dB dynamic range.
CONs.: The only real awkward thing with it is the AGC. The problem can be reduced markedly by just using the RF gain, but why not making a real AGC,ICOM ? It does not cost much. Other low end TRX (FT450,FT891-not the FT857- or IC728)have acceptable AGC systems. Optional filters are very expensive .4,1..)

KC9OET Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2017 00:08 Send this review to a friend
ICOM 718  Time owned: more than 12 months

i really like my icom718 it was noisy until i installed the fl-96 ssb filter now in conjuction with the d.s.p and the filtered sp-23 speaker it is very quiet i also added the cr-38 stablelization crystal i also added the vs-2 it has very good audio when used with the icom-microphones such as the sm-8 or sm-50.

W1FYL Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2016 10:31 Send this review to a friend
No AGC control  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my 718 several years and like it a lot. I recently started overwintering in a noisy Florida location. All sorts of devices -- AC adapters, laptops, cable and Vonage modems, air cleaners, in my home and neighbors' homes -- generate interference that buries weak signals. Under these conditions the receiver seems to reproduce the sound of electrical interference unusually well, resulting in a constant and very fatiguing hash noise. DSP removes some of this noise, but not enough to make listening (CW, my only mode of operation) comfortable for long. It's hard to understand why, but the transceiver is built so that no AGC is available in CW mode, aggravating the problem (the receiver is always at full gain!). And you can't transmit CW with the rig in SSB mode, where AGC is fixed, but at least available. There's no workaround or software upgrade available as a fix. In a quiet location, the rig and receiver are entirely suitable, but in a noisy location the constant hash takes the enjoyment out of hamming!

W9JTC Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2016 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Easy To Use  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I got my 718 second hand in great shape with the DSP module. A must have!! Since I have added the cable for my LDG ATU and the USB control cable so I can control from my computer. Also using Signalink USB for Digital. It is a real work horse and can't beat the price for features. This radio will be with me for a long time.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2016 15:46 Send this review to a friend
Great basic transceiver  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A beginner's review:

I was not an amateur radio operator, but did enjoy SWL with my ICOM R75. Through a chance meeting, I was able to get a used ICOM IC718 for a very price, and it was virtually spotless. The idea was a backup radio for the R75, and maybe "someday" I'd get a license and transmit with the IC718.

That "someday" came three weeks after I bought the unit.

It does everything I need as a newbie in HF. The controls are rather basic, simpler than the R75's. ICOM has made these for years with few changes, and its a good basic unit.

My own gives me close to the "rated" 100w PEP on most bands. I'm using an external full range speaker, and the audio quality that the IC718 is capable of is great. Don't let the built in speaker dissuade your opinions.

The IC718 is not quite the receiver that the R75 is. They "look" similar, but the R75 is a triple conversion radio that is really just an amazing receiver when used with a good antenna. On the other hand, the IC718 is very usable on the ham bands for phone or CW use. I built a CW decoder, and the R75 doesn't play totally well with it, but the IC718 does much better.

As a newbie, I see a whole litany of bells and whistles on newer radios, but the old school part of me says the IC718 is good enough. It works, I can reach half way round the world with it (ie southeast USA to Osaka Japan or Tokyo Japan). The audio I get s clear and legible. Really... everything else is icing on the cake. Tasty icing no doubt, but still just icing.

Zero issues with this used (as new) IC718! I'd replace it with another, or recommend it to a friend without hesitation.