Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-718 Help

Reviews Summary for ICOM IC-718
ICOM IC-718 Reviews: 432 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $750 1199 Cdn
Description: HF Transciever
More info: http://www.icomamerica.com/

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-718.

W1COH Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2019 13:19 Send this review to a friend
Great radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my IC-718 new for about $650 a little over a year ago. I've been licensed since the 90s, but for a variety of reasons, this was my first experience getting into HF. I was inactive for many years and then decided to get back into the hobby and get up and running on HF.

I live in a small apartment in the city, so my station is quite small and my antenna isn't all that great. I have the IC-718, MFJ power supply, MFJ-993B auto antenna tuner, and an external SWR/power meter. My antenna is an end-fed random wire that's not very long and not very high.

With the IC-718 and my MFJ tuner, I'm able to tune up on most bands 80-10m, and I regularly talk to my dad and a friend on 75m SSB. I'm able to receive all sorts of signals on 40m and 20m, though I haven't made any contacts yet on those bands (made 1 contact on 40m, it worked ok). 15m and 10m seem dead, but that may be due to propagation. I'm also surrounded by other buildings and trees and powerlines, so that doesn't help.

I really like the radio. The controls are simple to use, without having to delve into a lot of menus. Most of the day-to-day features are knobs or buttons on the front of the rig. My rig came with the DSP unit pre-installed. The DSP features have been very helpful, especially with poor propagation at the bottom of the solar cycle. I've used the attenuator, noise reduction, automatic notch filter, pre-amp, and IF shift in various situations to help improve reception. They may not work as good as they would on a higher end rig, but they are more than adequate for my needs. I'm currently using the stock hand mic while I look into repairing my desktop mic, and the stock mic works good.

I will probably keep this rig for a good long time, as I do not want or need a rig that has dozens of complicated controls and menus. The IC-718 is a great rig for beginner and experienced hams alike.

AA4WA Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2019 13:03 Send this review to a friend
It's exactly what I was looking for!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a ham for 45 years and the last transceiver that I bought new, was my Kenwood TS-520S back in 1977. Since then, I have also used vintage Drake equipment and a SGC SG-2020, so it was time I invested in a new rig. I have been looking at the IC-718 since it first came out almost 20 years ago. I liked the simple basic operation, minimum use of "menus" compared to other modern radios and especially the fact that it has been in production since 2000! That says something!
I've always been a casual CW and SSB operator, so I don't need all the bells and whistles that's available today on much more expensive radios. I paid the same amount for my TS-520S when I got it new in '77, so the value for the money is outstanding! The IC-718 has worked flawlessly for my use and is also a pleasure to use for my SWL'ing, as well. It took a little bit to figure out the memory operation, but once I did, that's the mode I always use, now.
As an old school operator, I use the RF gain as the volume while in SSB and CW. I find that keeping the rf gain down greatly improves operation for me. Also, I use the ATT on all bands below 10Mhz. There is more than enough gain in the circuitry and it keeps the noise down. I only use the DSP in the ANF mode to reduce interfering steady carriers. I don't care for the sound of DSP, otherwise.
I'm very, very pleased with the IC-718's operation, ruggedness, simplicity and longevity as a product. I waited almost 20 years to get one, but it's well worth it!

KE7OPK Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2018 06:04 Send this review to a friend
WELL MADE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great basic rig. Installed the FL-52a. Could not be happier. I have owned used, new, expensive, cheap, and rebuilt radios. This is by far the best.

N0DZQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2018 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Great little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
If you have opportunity, pick one of these little gems up. I haved owned mine for five years (replaced a 730) and am more then pleased. Bit the bullet this past November and purchased a 7300. I like the bells and whistles: however, I am not 100% sold on SDR and continue to play with the 718 because of its simplicity and hot receiver (works wonderfully on 630m where the 7300 does not).

It is a non issue not having FM or 6m. Just wish it had a removable head for mobile operation.

K4CWQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2018 03:02 Send this review to a friend
Greatest ham bargain  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is a neat little rig with lots of good features. I would rate it a 5 for price alone. Ham radio shouldn't cost a fortune, especially for people, like myself, on a very small fixed income. The IC-718 can often be bought new for $500-600, when found on sale, plus factory rebates. Good used ones can be found in the $300-500 range, since this model has been around for more than 15 years and many were bought for starter rigs, then sold as buyers traded up to more elaborate radios. It's the top buy out there for a full feature, 100-watt HF rig.
The few negatives for me include the small front panel speaker, which has a tinny sound. I use an external speaker, which greatly improves received sound.
Also, it's noisy, wouldn't want one without the DSP.
Getting the best receive signal requires lots of adjusting of the RF gain and volume controls.
However, the positives far outweigh the negatives.

KG4LLQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 19, 2018 16:44 Send this review to a friend
Hard to Beat  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my IC-718 for 15 years and would be hard pressed to let it go. Recently I considered purchasing an IC-7300 or a TS-590SG but thought about installing an INRAD 116 400 Hz CW filter, since I do mostly CW work. I have had a SCAF (Switching Capacitor Audio Filter) for the same length of time I have owned the 718 but wanted better "filtering". Well what a difference it makes. Now the SCAF is still installed with the 718 because when the INRAD filter is activated the SCAF can enhance the sound by raising higher frequencies without affecting the filtration. With the DSP system and 400 Hz filter I am keeping my 718 and saving the money. When I got my ticket I passed up on buying a TS-50 (another great radio) opting for the IC-718 instead. A great decision.

K7QQH Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 22:11 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 718 for about 10 years now and it's just a great little rig. Installed the CW filter and DSP modules and it works very well.

Am running it as a mobile rig with homebrew mobile antenna in my Jeep so it takes the (sometimes) rough-and-tumble of the mobile environment with ease. Seems like I can hear everything going on the bands (what sunspot "minimum" ????) and depending on where I'm operating from I hear and work PLENTY of CW DX.

The rig is simple, straightforward and has plenty of options for mobile operations. Whether in your station (fixed), or mobile/portable, you won't be disappointed.

Best 73's
Roger C.
K7QQH

W5KAO Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2017 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Great entry old school rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own an IC-718 for almost three years (originally a new item) now and use it as my main base rig. If you can comprehend and use G4RNI advices (right now on page 3 of this review), you'll love the machine! I have bought another 718 (this time used one) for my another QTH. I hope it shows how I am satisfied with the radio.
In my case, put on 7MHz and lower RF gain at a little bit further counterclockwise, than 10 o'clock mark. On higher frequency bands you should decrease the deviation from 12 o'clock. On high frequency (15 m and higher) you can use preamp sometimes, when needed. Pay attention, this is my experience in my location with my sources of noise.

As a resume: great rig that just does the job! Recommend to anybody who understands how radio works even just a little bit and can follow simple instructions from G4RNI, like decrease RF gain or use an attenuator, if you are on a noisy band. Using this rig and a miltiband home brew dipole was able to do WAC in just several months. It works and works really well.

OE3HPU Rating: 4/5 Jul 24, 2017 07:19 Send this review to a friend
really worth the money  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The IC 718 ,especially when purchased as used equipment at about 300...400 has more advantages than disadvantages. I agree with G4NFIs observations and comments below.
PROs: Easy to operate, works great in CW when the FL52 is installed. The inbuilt keyer is one of the best I`ve tried out,the TX audio is loud and clear (I have the old bipolar transistors in the PA) and the RX is just OK with its 85..90dB dynamic range.
CONs.: The only real awkward thing with it is the AGC. The problem can be reduced markedly by just using the RF gain, but why not making a real AGC,ICOM ? It does not cost much. Other low end TRX (FT450,FT891-not the FT857- or IC728)have acceptable AGC systems. Optional filters are very expensive .4,1..)

KC9OET Rating: 5/5 Mar 27, 2017 00:08 Send this review to a friend
ICOM 718  Time owned: more than 12 months

i really like my icom718 it was noisy until i installed the fl-96 ssb filter now in conjuction with the d.s.p and the filtered sp-23 speaker it is very quiet i also added the cr-38 stablelization crystal i also added the vs-2 it has very good audio when used with the icom-microphones such as the sm-8 or sm-50.