Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 170 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

W9WQA Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2019 00:15 Send this review to a friend
really well built,rugged.just right size for my shack.   Time owned: more than 12 months
i reviewed it yrs ago so ill just mention some add ons that i like on a nice rig that is still popular.

i read that guys didnt like the small "big" knob.i had some solid ,heavy aluminum knobs,black anodized that fit better than factory,look great and feels good, spins.

dsp was not all i wanted so i bolted a radio shack dsp unit right on top,used it as my audio, very good.

i added an rca jack on the back for amp keying.very convenient simple cable.

made an addition to the foot to raise it up, feels much better.

only con was mastering some use of memory channels that i gave up on, didnt really need.

once more, i like the rugged construction.
im working on sdr waterfall addition.

the 450d is a keeper no mater what else i may use.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2019 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice portable base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an original Ft-450 non-AT when they first got out many years ago. I had all the early bugs ; Tx hum, bad display, etc.
I upgraded to an Ft-950 and others rigs after that.
I now operate both from home and from cabins we rent for weekends. I bought a Ft-891 for that purpose and was very happy with the performance. The only drawback was that the rig was way to small for home base use. I had to find a compromise. After reading the reviews, I ordered an Ft-450D on the assumption that it should be a more mature rig by now.
I was right. No bugs out of the box. Nice clean display.
I found that it would do 95% of whatís my Ft-891 was doing in a much more ergonomic package. The only thing I miss is the stellar DSP noise reduction on the 891. However, the one in the 450D is helpful in reducing general background ę†hissing†Ľ. I like the built-in autotuner. One less accessory to bring along. The Yaesu sp-10 speaker is also a perfect match for the 450D (see my other review). With a compact switching psu, I have a station I can bring along in a laptop case for portable operation and large enough to be used comfortably in the shack. Now, Iíll have to do that panadapter thing...

WD0BCT Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2018 03:01 Send this review to a friend
Good beginner rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up an FT-450D new as my returning to amateur radio rig. It satisfied for about a year , but it had been 20years since I was on the air! With nothing directly to compare it too I was happy. I then picked up an FT-817ND for a portable QRP rig. I loved the 817ND from the start...and unfortunately it pointed out deficiencies in my 450D. Espeicially in audio performance. I called Yaesu and they responded that the audio on the 450D should be equal to the 817D. They suggested I return it for an evaluation. It cost me to return it to Yaesu and the results were less than impressive. Their diagnosis: The rig was within specification! I used it a few months but really was upset that the 817ND outperformed it. So....I traded it on an FT-891. I enjoyed a base rig that I could go portable with after picking up the 817ND. Results....the 891 audio is equal to the 817ND. However, until picking up a second rig I was totally happy with the 450D.

K7LZR Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2018 23:26 Send this review to a friend
Good modern radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
So I started out in 1977 with a homebrew 80/40m tube type CW transmitter - Crystal controlled 6AG7 driving a 6146 in the PA. Receiver was an Elmac PMR-7. This stuff was quite old even then but it worked well enough to fill two logbooks before I moved on.

Fast forward a bit, early 1980s. A Kenwood TS-511s graced the shack. Made many contacts then moved to a Kenwood TS-520s. From there a Yaesu FT-101B. And then in 1993, a rig which I would use almost daily for the next 14 years - a Kenwood TS-430s. My TS-430s was fully tricked out with all available filters, FM board, etc. and I had quite a bit of money invested in it. I took it everywhere - home, camping, traveling, Field Day. It was once even used in a pinch for about 2 hours as a low power commercial MW transmitter but don't tell anyone :).

Said TS-430s was sold in 2007 but I always missed it. I finally decided that for general use, I'd like to have a similar 100W rig but with a few modern features such as comprehensive CAT control, good DSP, FM as a standard mode, more memories, and maybe 6m coverage too :).

I tried a Yaesu FT-891 but quickly found it to be too dumbed down for my taste and the inability to switch easily between USB & LSB was a real show stopper for me as was the quirky and somewhat unreliable USB CAT interface.

Enter the FT-450D. I've spent the last week or so with this rig and it is doing a wonderful job of filling the gap left by my TS-430s. It does all of the things which that radio did and much more in a similar(in fact slightly smaller)sized box.

Only nit for me is no auto notch but the TS-430s had manual-only notch also so is comparable.

I do love the old-school RS-232 CAT interface - no drivers to load nor conflict, no compatibility problems, no speed hits. Just pure 38400 baud data back & forth. As it should be. Compatible way back to MS DOS if needed. No serial port on modern computers you say? No problem - cheap USB to serial converter, drivers and all.

At first, the "Black Nega" LCD display took a bit of getting used to and I do wish that it still allowed for color changes as does the FT-450 non-D model. But after getting used to it it becomes easy to read and really shines in low light i.e. mobile at night or clandestine operations.

The transmitter of the FT-450D is a treat and I find that my particular unit does indeed put out a full 100w PEP on bith SSB & CW as verified with a calibrated oscilloscope and dummy load combo. This is a dead reckoning test and so is accurate. The built-in autotuner is nice too and I like it is foolproof in that it won't try to tune grossly mismatched loads and burn itself out. Instead, if it sees a gross mismatch it will simply beep, not activate, and thumb its nose at you. Of course, wider range tuners can be used with this radio too and so you aren't left in the cold if you need such.

I won't touch on pros & cons of the built-in IF DSP because that horse has been beat to death elsewhere, and its highly subjective anyway.

I find the receive audio to be pleasant, especially when used with a good external speaker. And you have many choices for fine tuning it to your liking and incoming signal condition.

To sum, if you want a good basic yeoman duty radio which gets the job done and adds just enough snazz to spill into some special applications then here you go :).

AB2DP Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2018 15:46 Send this review to a friend
First Impression  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally had the chance to fully tested the transceiver in all the mods. Everything works beyond my expectation,flawlessly ! I hope they make more products like that. Honestly I do not know what else somebody should ask for.

WB8YQJ Rating: 5/5 May 31, 2018 16:59 Send this review to a friend
Great value in a standalone 160-6m all mode transceiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
Update June 2018 - Improved fidelity receive audio for home use can be found by selecting the "Contour" DSP option and selecting PEAK rather than the default of filter. Three horizontal bars are seen with one bar above them in the middle of the Contour field display. Then rotate the DSP/SEL control to move the PEAK fully left in the Contour display field. Connect the speaker output on the back of the FT450 to the "Line IN" of the PC sound card and use the sound card equalizer program to boost bass and treble. Both SSB and CW audio on FT450 are powerful and effective for mobile/portable but this little setup allows a really nice listening experience in the hamshack. I also can't over stress finding a better microphone for the hamshack, my D104 preamplified microphone works great without any mods or changes. (End update).

Original review from May 2017:

I bought the FT450D in May 2016 as the 100 watt transmitter side for my SDRPlay receiver and as a backup for my fixed station HF. I was hooked by the Hamvention price of $599 online. There was a short wait from GGParts. The original SDRPlay had been marked down to $125 at HRO when the RSP2 was announced.

The radio has proven to be a very desirable addition to the hamshack along side of my FT2000 flagship HF. After some time using it, I find the FT450D to be greatly better than most entry level standalone HF rigs and comparable or better than many mid priced transceivers when used with an external SDR such as SDRPlay or Afedri.

Although the footprint is small, the receive current draw should be lower for mobile operation and is a little high for portable.

There is ample AF Gain and I don't hear the fan running at all on receive.

The fan increases speed on transmit and I do hear the air moving but no fan buzz.

This is a super CW radio and a good phone radio.

The receiver AGC is excellent. In fact, it is a great compliment to this rig that it sounds so much like analog, digital artifacts are surprisingly absent. The crystal filter is 2.7Khz on tx/rx. Using a computer soundcard and equalization you can find some great fidelity on receive that you would never guess was present when using the internal speaker or a small portable speaker.

I use a preamplified D104 on phone transmit to maximize the 2.7 khz transmit bandwidth available. The modular microphone jack is not the easiest to wire but the included hand microphone really needs to be better for fixed station use.

There is no Automatic DSP Notch, but the manually adjusted dsp notch is outside of the AGC loop, so you don't have the S Meter showing 20db over S9 with an associated reduction of the RF Gain as you would see on the typical auto notch after nulling a big carrier.

You can also turn off the AGC and rotate the RF Gain at the front panel for just the right receiver sensitivity.

The unit is of very nice construction even though I originally bought this unit to be the "hidden" transmitter side of a Windows SDR receiver. With an MFJ automatic antenna switch (or equivalent) you can use any of the wonderful computer SDR programs on receive and fully control the FT450D as transmitter from that program. SDR Console V3 is my favorite, HDSDR also integrates seamlessly.

I found myself wanting to use the radio standalone as often as not on CW. You get 100 watts, Auto Tuner, All Modes, 160m through 6m and that is a lot!

I ran a TS480Sat for over a year and that one is a great design, it has Auto-Notch, but all and all I do prefer the FT450, mainly because it has a better CW receiver to my ears. There is less noise and a better AGC.

This radio is an amazing value, for a backup or something fun to try with SDR, it's hard to lose with this one.

de Wb8yqj/6 Don

N3HKN Rating: 4/5 Apr 16, 2018 04:09 Send this review to a friend
Good Starter-audio marginal  Time owned: more than 12 months
Receive audio is indeed compromised. Even with all DSP off it surffers. I believe it is due to the short attack time on the AGC. Turning off AGC and using the RF Gain improves it but a round table of several stations can be an exercise.

The DSP is rich in features but not so good in terms of quality which is often dependent upon the amount of processing and the speed ($$$$) of the processor(sample rates). I am on my third unit but the audio (at my age) needs to be better.

KB9ERU Rating: 5/5 Apr 15, 2018 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Feature packed, small footprint  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Iíve had the FT-450D for a few weeks now. Here are my observations when I worked 3B7A (SSB on 40m):

3B7Aís SSB TX frequency was in the CW sub band, so the lids engaged in a CW QSO on the same frequency. This QRM would have been a challenge for me on my older radio.
This is where the DSP features came in handy. I was able to use the notch filter to reduce the QRM to almost zero, and was able to hear 3B7A without issue. That alone was worth the purchase price of the FT-450D.

Donít expect the built-in tuner to perform like a standalone tuner. Iím finding that itís not going to match anything above 2:1. No issues Ė as I use an external tuner anyway.

I like the built-in CW/voice keyer. Itís nice to plug in the paddles and go. The voice keyer works great, and you can set up the beacon mode to send canned CW messages upon a key press (call sign, 599 TU, etc) instead of using it in automatic beacon mode. Sweet.

Speaking of voice keyer Ė here are the undocumented CAT commands provided by NZ8D via QRZ.com:
To TX and play VM1 = PB7;
To TX and play VM2 = PB8;

Having a DB-9 CAT connector is great. No needed converters, just a straight through cable if you have a serial port on your computer.

If you want all the options for the FT-450D, all you need to buy is the carrying handle. No TCXO, IF filters, optional boards, etc.

Coming from an FT-840, the additional features of the FT-450D made it easy to become my new main rig. Iím glad that I made the purchase, and Iím looking forward to many years of service.

AG5T Rating: 1/5 Feb 2, 2018 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Can't hear anything  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
The receive audio is terrible. I can't hear any of the DX stations whether it's ssb or cw. I can make a few contacts on FT8, but a lot of times someone will respond to me but then disappear. Also the vox does not work with fldigi it goes chop chop chop for 10 to 15 seconds and finally enters my call sign. But the audio is terrible. Like I said I can't hear anything when others in my area hear everything! So I am very unhappy with this rig.

KK5R Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2018 13:21 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio...!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a Drake TR-7 for several years and think that for its time, it was unbeatable. I went to China in 2003 and left it with my son, also a ham. When I came back, I was disappointed to find he'd sold it a few months previously to upgrade his station. But I left it with him with no strings attached so after looking around on my return in 2007, I opted to buy an FT450AT for $600 from a ham who got it while his other Yaesu was being repaired. It had been used only 10 hours, though, before being put on the shelf for a few months. However, his main rig returned much sooner that he anticipated.

I've had mine for about ten years and find it's much better than the TR-7 was, overall... Once the menu is set up, it is rarely messed with except for output power levels when checking out new antennas. I get great reports with the matching MD-100 microphone which, by the way, is inter-matched with the rig's transmit audio menu settings.

One old complaint was addressed when I got some early-on reports of an audio tone on transmit which I found was due to the brightness setting on the display. The display grounding was not adequate in one area of the display board (near the microphone jack) but instead of taking the radio apart (which was never done!), I found the tone was not there when the display brightness was set to Max or to Off. Therefore, I set it to Mex and adjusted the contrast to lower the brightness. This adjustment is the next step in the manual, in fact, and kept me from getting into the radio and "finding" other problems. {;->

Overall, I am extremely satisfied with the radio. In fact, it gives me a lot of free time for antenna experimentation instead of finding fault with the main radio.

My backup rig is an ICOM IC-718, chosen for its simplicity and automatic heterodyne nullification when QRMed. It is rarely used, however, except for SW listening which is seldom done. it is there, however, "just in case." Considering that the FT-450 has never failed me, I sometimes wonder why I even have it.