Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-450D Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-450D
Yaesu FT-450D Reviews: 177 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$899.00
Description: 160-6 Meter Base/Mobile/Portable Transceiver.
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=870B3CA7CFCB61E6A599B0EFEA2217E4&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-450D.

K1QQQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 17, 2019 15:30 Send this review to a friend
ATTENUATION  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just to note most all transceivers now attenuate the AM Broadcast Band 530-1700 khz, etc. Not just this radio.

I guess the thought is a strong local signal could cause havoc.

Years ago the 'mod' people always figured out how to defeat this but see little of that these days. Something just stuck in there to weaken the signals there.

AB9PM Rating: 2/5 Oct 17, 2019 03:00 Send this review to a friend
FOR AMATEUR RADIO USE ONLY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am updating my previous review of the FT 450D. I reviewed it too soon. It is ok for a beginner ham. I like the DNR system better than what I have on the FT DX 1200 and FT 991a. Controls are accessible and the voice announcement would be good for hams with poor eyesight.

I was using this rig for portable operation. It is a little tough with the type of screen it has in daylight, but it can be worked around. I wish it had a Digital Notch Filter. I would like that.

But what I really disliked about the rig was the fact when I am out portable I can't listen to news on the hour out of Chicago on the AM band. The radio automatically puts in attenuation when using it on the AM BCB. You can not work around it. The FT DX 1200 and FT 991A do not do this.

Yaesu doesn't have the sense to let a license Amateur Radio Operator determine when attenuation is needed.

John Kruk the Yaesu representative denies that their product does this. Further Mr. Kruk states we only intend our equipment for amateur use. So if you buy Yaesu, Mr. Kruk's statement with their radios, it would be a poor selection for a SWL. This guy is the poorest company rep I have ever met.

I can't recoup enough money out of selling a brand new rig, so I have it running digital operations on my desk top with the SCU 17. After all it is "used only on the ham bands."

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2019 16:16 Send this review to a friend
Best buy and easy to use.  Time owned: more than 12 months
No radio is perfect, but this little unit works well for general amateur use. I had the original model FT450 for a couple of years, sold it to a friend, and bought the upgraded FT450D and it was well worth the upgrade. The DSP works well, the menue is easy to navigate, and the radio in general is very easy to use. I have owned dozens of HF radios over the decades but this is one of my favorites. I also have an FT950 which has more features, but really like using the FT450D because it is more simple to use. This is a good radio for the money, and probably the best out there for the features and price. It is also compact enough for mobile and portable use and the tuner works well. After about several years of use, I will say I have no complaints about it and it has had no problems .I don't think you can buy a better or more practical radio in its price class.

NY7Q Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2019 13:55 Send this review to a friend
EXCELLENT RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just purchased my 4th 450D. I have separate radio on 160, 80/75, 20, and 15 meters, all with separate dipole antennas. I love these radios. A lot of radio for the size and price.

K4VBB Rating: 5/5 Jul 8, 2019 22:01 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic little rig for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok, so I've owned my FT-450D long enough that I think I'm qualified to post a review.

In short, this is an excellent rig for the price. If you're interested in contesting, this is probably not the rig you want, but otherwise it is very capable.

DSP, Receive, and Audio output:
It took me a bit to learn how to use all of the DSP functions (they are used as a compliment to each other -- not alone by themselves), but once I got the hang of it I was able to pull some pretty weak signals out of the mud pretty easily. If you turn the DSP up by itself without adjusting the other DSP features you'll be disappointed. The same goes with the other DSP settings--use them as a set.

If used correctly the DSP works as well, or better than that of the most of it's competitors in the price range, but not quite as good as the FT-891 for those of you who have experience with that radio. The DSP is not "set-and-forget", but remembering the correct sequence in which to make adjustments it can be pretty fast to tune in to the signals you want to hear, and filter out that which you do not want.

The built-in speaker comes across a little bit muffled to me, but then again I have suffered some hearing loss while in the military. I use an external speaker when I'm not using my headphones.

Speaking of headphones, this rig comes with a modern headphone jack that will accept modern headphones of your choosing -- unlike my IC-7410 that has the giant 1/4" plug.

TX:
Reports, and experimentation with WebSDR receivers tell me that the TX audio sounds a little more like what one would expect a 'military' transmitter to sound like, but the audio comes across very clean and has plenty of 'punch' using the included mic. If there is a TX bandwidth setting somewhere, I have not found it. There are, however, TX audio settings that allow one to choose the audio profile to better suit the voice of the operator.

Ergonomics:
I consider this as being closer to an entry-level rig, but not quite since it has a pretty rich feature set for the price. The FT-450D does not offer features like direct frequency entry and requires some level of menu access to adjust TX power and the like, but most everything that is needed to operate has pretty quick access via the front panel.

If one is used to running high-end stations, the buttons on the front may have a little bit of a 'cheap' feel to them. Nevertheless, they perform well and offer the expected feedback. I wish the tuning button was a little bigger, though.

The back-lit buttons are nice and they are easy to read for a smallish rig.

One more thing to note is that Yaesu made the pre-amp settings a little counter-intuitive. The Pre-Amp is controlled with the IPO button. IPO=Off means that the Pre-Amp is ON.

The going price to date for these NEW is about $700. For that price there is little in the way of competition that is not designed for mobile use (read 'small'). To my mind its closest competitor is the IC-7200, which is about $200 more, but does not include an antenna tuner or the ability to do FM on 6/10m.

All in all, this rig is A LOT of bang for the buck. This is a GREAT rig for the price.

W8NOR Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2019 01:20 Send this review to a friend
Great for FT8  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a great little radio for digital modes. My FTDX-1200 is sitting idle while the FT-450D is doing FT8 without missing a beat. For the price I feel this is a very good value. I have used it on the road on vacation and it's perfectly happy at home as well. The built-in tuner works great. Maybe it's not the top performer on the receive end but it does the job for me.

W5TD Rating: 5/5 Jun 2, 2019 20:49 Send this review to a friend
A worthwhile upgrade  Time owned: more than 12 months
I will never understand Yaesu's marketing department. When they upgraded the FT450 to the D model, the single most important upgrade they did was to allow the use of the narrow CW filter on the digital modes. However, of the 5 upgraded features they advertised, that is the one they left out! I think being able to now use this rig in a RTTY contest is a little more important than having newly designed knobs on it!

With some looking around you should be able to find a used FT450D for under $500, and it is a lot of rig for the money. As I stated in the summary, it is a worthy upgrade over the original FT450 model, which is still a good radio in its own right.

In addition to adding a narrow filter to the digital modes, the D model has a 300hz CW filter, which really helps in crowded bands, and a 500hz CW filter whose width is close to 500hz. The 500hz filter in the non-D model, which was the narrowest CW bandwidth, was measured at around 650hz width by QST. In addition, the backlighted buttons are a nice addition in the D model as well. Much easier to read than the dark red on black buttons of the original model.

These radios are loaded with features, including a TCXO as standard, voice recorder/keyer, CW memory keyer, voice synthesizer, and an internal tuner. Like most internal tuners today, it isn't all that good, but it will match SWRs up to 3:1 or so. Nice to have while mobile to extend the bandwidth of a mobile whip antenna.

The receiver performance in the FT450D is pretty good for the price as well. I ran one of these next to an Icom 7300 in the North American QSO party a couple of years ago with an antenna switch so I could instantly compare the two radios. I really didn't notice much difference between the 2 receivers. Yes, the FT450D doesn't have a pan adapter, but it does cost $300 less than the Icom 7300 and is easier to use as well.

Feature for feature (and price point) this rig compares closely with Yaesu's FT891. The FT891 has a better noise blanker, as the noise blanker in the FT450 is one of its weaker points. It will remove some noises but can't do near as much as some other noise blankers do. The FT450D is much easier to operate than the FT891 has it has dedicated buttons for most major features, and you can program the mic buttons to control 3 different features as well. Plus it has an autotuner built in. The receiver in the FT891 is probably a little quieter due to the 3khz roofing filter, but again, I didn't notice a huge difference between the 2 receivers.

So, for the price these are going for used you get a pretty good receiver loaded with features to assist in your operating. The digital VOX circuit eliminates the need for an external digital modes interface, and Yaesu has a free control program for the FT450 series that makes remote control operating easy as well. Wish they would come out with a similar program for the FT891 and FT857D.

I ran a FT450D in the IARU contest in 2017 and finished 10th place in the US for low power mixed mode! That is my first top 10 finish in any ARRL or CQ HF contest-that speaks for the quality of this rig as well!

John W5TD

W9WQA Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2019 00:15 Send this review to a friend
really well built,rugged.just right size for my shack.   Time owned: more than 12 months
i reviewed it yrs ago so ill just mention some add ons that i like on a nice rig that is still popular.

i read that guys didnt like the small "big" knob.i had some solid ,heavy aluminum knobs,black anodized that fit better than factory,look great and feels good, spins.

dsp was not all i wanted so i bolted a radio shack dsp unit right on top,used it as my audio, very good.

i added an rca jack on the back for amp keying.very convenient simple cable.

made an addition to the foot to raise it up, feels much better.

only con was mastering some use of memory channels that i gave up on, didnt really need.

once more, i like the rugged construction.
im working on sdr waterfall addition.

the 450d is a keeper no mater what else i may use.

VA2DV Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2019 13:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice portable base  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had an original Ft-450 non-AT when they first got out many years ago. I had all the early bugs ; Tx hum, bad display, etc.
I upgraded to an Ft-950 and others rigs after that.
I now operate both from home and from cabins we rent for weekends. I bought a Ft-891 for that purpose and was very happy with the performance. The only drawback was that the rig was way to small for home base use. I had to find a compromise. After reading the reviews, I ordered an Ft-450D on the assumption that it should be a more mature rig by now.
I was right. No bugs out of the box. Nice clean display.
I found that it would do 95% of what’s my Ft-891 was doing in a much more ergonomic package. The only thing I miss is the stellar DSP noise reduction on the 891. However, the one in the 450D is helpful in reducing general background « hissing ». I like the built-in autotuner. One less accessory to bring along. The Yaesu sp-10 speaker is also a perfect match for the 450D (see my other review). With a compact switching psu, I have a station I can bring along in a laptop case for portable operation and large enough to be used comfortably in the shack. Now, I’ll have to do that panadapter thing...

WD0BCT Rating: 3/5 Nov 19, 2018 03:01 Send this review to a friend
Good beginner rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I picked up an FT-450D new as my returning to amateur radio rig. It satisfied for about a year , but it had been 20years since I was on the air! With nothing directly to compare it too I was happy. I then picked up an FT-817ND for a portable QRP rig. I loved the 817ND from the start...and unfortunately it pointed out deficiencies in my 450D. Espeicially in audio performance. I called Yaesu and they responded that the audio on the 450D should be equal to the 817D. They suggested I return it for an evaluation. It cost me to return it to Yaesu and the results were less than impressive. Their diagnosis: The rig was within specification! I used it a few months but really was upset that the 817ND outperformed it. So....I traded it on an FT-891. I enjoyed a base rig that I could go portable with after picking up the 817ND. Results....the 891 audio is equal to the 817ND. However, until picking up a second rig I was totally happy with the 450D.