Reviews Categories | Amateur Radio Equipment Repair | Norm's Rotor Service Help

Reviews Summary for Norm's Rotor Service
Norm's Rotor Service Reviews: 85 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $varies
Description: Antenna rotor service, sales, and parts.
More info: http://www.rotorservice.com/

You can write your own review of the Norm's Rotor Service.

W9MT Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2018 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Super service, but you need to be patient.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought what I thought was a working Alliance HD-73 at a hamfest. (It didn't. Cleaning it up and regreasing the bearing races resulted in "no joy".) Hmmmm...$50 for a doorstop.

I sent it and the control box to NRS. I was warned of an 8 week backlog before analysis and a rebuild price could be quoted and the rebuilt rotor/control box returned.

Well, nearly $300 and the full 8 weeks later I got my HD-73 back. Norm lives up to his reputation. The rotor and control box both look and work like new or better than new. The only thing not returned was the plastic "weather seal door" that goes over the six screw terminal strip. Norm advised these sold out 4-5 years ago and offered advice as to what to use as alternatives.

Norm's knowledge of Alliance, HyGain/CDE, and other major brands of rotors is impeccable. His email replies are returned promptly and are peppered with good advice on how to maximize the life of the returned goods.

So, I have a great rotor with a cult following that will handle 10.7 square feet of antenna load. Norm advised that if I were to pole mount instead of tower plate mount the rotor this number would have to be derated by 50% down to 5.35 square feet of antenna load. So, my pipe dream of a hex-beam will slightly overload the rotor (5.5 square feet) if I were to pole mount the rotor. (No good...I won't be mounting it that way due to the derating caused by the extra rotary torque on the rotor's "innards".) The HD-73 will easily handle a hex-beam with margin to spare mounted on a tower plate or similar. Norm's was "sage advice" that comes with years of practical experience.

At the same hamfest I found another control box for an HD-73-1 rotor (compatible, and a bargain at $5). Everything works FB now.

So, for my investment of about $305, I have a rotor and TWO working control boxes that will easily compete with the older HAM-M rotors and nearly that of the HAM IV, and way better than that of a CD-45. (A new CD-45 would be more than $125 more, w/o shipping.)

Things I learned from my experiences:

1. NRS is a great (five star) vendor/repair depot.
2. He's quite busy, so be patient. The end result will be "worth it".
3. Older (1980's/1990's) rotors that are no longer in production will have limited replacement part availability, so be prepared to improvise for some things. (Sad fact of life.)
4. I am happy with my HD-73, so I have no qualms with the way I did things. I would do it the same way in a heartbeat.
5. I'll look for donor HD-73's at hamfests, working or not. (but they're rare)
6. I won't trust that old guy at the hamfest table anymore. (I'm not a kid. I've been in this hobby 48 years. I should have known better.)

Bravo, NRS !!! You're a credit to the hobby.

KE2ES Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2018 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Overall review of NRS for both new/rebuilt rotors  Time owned: more than 12 months
Over the past several years, I purchased several replacement parts for my Alliance U100/U110 rotors, for example mounting clamps, mast mounted thrust bearings, etc. Ive always found Norm to be very responsive to my technical questions, quick delivery and competitive prices. I recently shipped him a U100/U110 rotor and two control boxes and he did an excellent job on each rebuild. I plan to ship him another U100/U110 rotor once I bring it down to ground level. I would have absolutely no hesitation to purchase other rotors from him for example, Hygain Ham XX series, either new of rebuilt for my HF yagis. Very reliable service! Best 73 - Tom, KE2ES

N3SCR Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2018 15:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased at least 5 rebuilt CDE Rotors from RotorNorm over the years, including CD-44 / Ham II, and Ham III models. All of the rotors have been professionally rebuilt to standards equal to or exceeding the OEM specs. All of the rotors have also performed quite well in my set-up. RotorNorm's exchange program has also saved me extra trips up the tower. Dealing with RotorNorm has always been a pleasure and the pricing is fair for the quality of the products that are sold. I have never hesitated to purchase from RotorNorm and I highly recommend the business to the Ham community.

N7JEH Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2018 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Norm saved my destroyed rotor  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I moved from Nevada I hired a company to take down my antennas with a bucket truck as I was travelling for work. Unbeknownst to me they disassembled my rotor, losing most of the bearings and some other components. I sent it to Norm and he rebuilt to better than new condition adding the brake delay which was not offered when I bought it.
Norm and I communicated all through the process via e-mail so there were no surprises or misunderstandings. I would not hesitate to use him again in the future. Thanks Norm!!

AA0BL Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2018 12:45 Send this review to a friend
Great product and service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
My 25+ year old rotor failed last summer and I decided to try one of Norm's refurbished units to replace it.
Norm was very helpful in helping me to choose the proper unit for my installation, and in doing a refurbish of my control unit. Our communication via email was extremely helpful. His shipments were very well packaged, and arrived in good condition.
I am very happy with the replacement Ham IV installation, and it works great.
Thank you Norm and your excellent staff.

K7NNV Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2017 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After purchasing a home after 22 plus years of full time rving I decided to put two yagi's on a 36 foot Rohn 25 tower I had previously installed. For over 25 years I have always heard Norms Rotor Service was the go to place for rebuilt Hygain rotors rather than buying new.
I emailed Norms Rotor Service saying I wanted a T-2X rotor and controller. I received a reply asking what tower I had and what antennas I was installing on the tower and other questions. I had previously read on Eham were someone was taken back by that request but I replied anyway.
As it turns out, the T-2X would have required modification (cutting) on my tower which I certainly did not want to do. NRS took everything that I told them into consideration and recommended a Ham4 rotor and controller which I ordered.
I received the rotor (with JAN plug installed), controller (with brake delay installed)and HD rotor cable (with JAN plug installed) today and bench tested it as NRS requested. so far I am very happy with the purchase.

K3IE Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2017 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a Hygain Rotor Control on E-Bay that needed some attention. I e-mailed the symptoms to RotorNorm and he responded promptly with some possible causes. The meter in the rotor box was known for being problematic. I sent him the control box and within a week I had it back and fully functional. RotorNorm swapped out the meter, tested the components, and replaced some parts that were probably close to failing. His pricing was reasonable and his service was prompt. Would not hesitate to use RotorNorm again.

N9DWE Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2017 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent repair  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I sent in my rotor that had been up for 20 years and survived about everything. It was time for an overhaul. I had always heard good things about Norm's rotor service and so sent the rotor and control box in for repair. When I got it back it was perfect, as they say it looked right off the show room floor.
He installed the delayed brake mechanism, what a nice feature. He answered all my questions in a timely and professional manner, unfortunately one was cockpit error. I would recommend Norm's rotor service anytime for your Ham
Rotor repairs.

K7ORV Rating: 5/5 Jan 29, 2017 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Awesome advice with the parts!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Norm was great about advising me what I needed in addition to the failed part and answering several questions I had about how to protect the rotor from failure in the future. He also went the extra mile by putting a handwritten note on the receipt informing me the self adhesive on the brake pads would need gasket sealer or some type of glue added. I used 3M contact weatherstrip adhesive and it worked out great. Thanks Norm.

WG5N Rating: 5/5 Nov 23, 2016 18:25 Send this review to a friend
Great service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recently sent an older "dead" Ham IV rotor along with the control box. Norm completely rebuilt the defective rotor and box. Made them look and work as new. I highly recommend his services. Excellent customer service and repair work.