Reviews Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Help

Reviews Summary for Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner
Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $529
Description: BEGINNING IMMEDIATELY
We have decided to discontinue the AT1500DT and the AT1KP differential tuner series. The AT1500DT and the AT1KP have been combined into a new 2kW Tuner...

AT2KD!

Selling price will be $529. An optional 1:1 or 4:1 current balanced balun priced at $49.95 can also be purchased, which can be easily connected externally to the tuner with a short length of COAX.

This new tuner has all our features, such as: peak and peak-hold; a resonant free roller system to operate from 6m to 160m continuously; new LED lit meter system; and a new compact size.

Production available immediately!
More info: http://www.palstar.com/at2kd.php

You can write your own review of the Palstar AT2KD Differential Tuner.

M0INM Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2019 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great piece of kit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this unit recently. The build quality is superb and it works really well. For ease of use I have compiled a list of settings for frequencies across the bands. This makes flipping the 2 controls to tune the antennas very quick and simple. I would recommend this despite the price.

VA3KBC Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2019 00:17 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the LDG 1000 pro and the MFJ-998 IntelliTuner and they both worked good.
But found the LDG wouldn't tune all of my 160 meter Doublet and with the MFJ it just wouldn't completely tune down flat like I wanted it too so would have to touch up constantly.
After reading a bunch of reviews on the various tuners available and had tried buying used ones on Eham, QTH, KWARC, ONTARS, QRZ, and didn't have any luck. SO my wife told me to just buy a brand new tuner and the Palstar AT2KD was my choice from reading the eham reviews. Ease of tuning was my main interest since I go from band to band and freq to freq.
I made up a chart with the Freq, Load, Plate, Capacitance, Inductance for my Drake L7 amp and the Palstar Tuner.
I can put the dials to the #s I have on my chart and pretty well be 98% in tune. Mostly just have to touch up the TUNER then the amp
My 160 meter doublet has 58' of 600 ohm ladder line to a 4:1 Balun Designs balun, then 75' of LMR400 into the shack to the tuner.
I operate 160, 75,80, 40, 20, 17. Flat match on all and everywhere.
Pleased with the workmanship and ease of operation.
73, DJ VA3KBC

WB8ROL Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2019 06:54 Send this review to a friend
Really fine tuner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using tuners over 45 years and this ranks as the best. The differential tuning is really easy and smooth. Solid construction and super support. It works well on all my HF antennas running a Flex 6400 + SB200 amp on SSB and digital. I also use one of the Palstar baluns which works well with my 115ft doublet which is fed with 300ohm twin lead.

KC9RNK Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2019 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Good Tuner  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this Tuner back in 2013, not one problem in 6 years of everyday use. I've tuned a G5RV, Alpa-Delta DX-LB Plus, 160m Inverted L Folded Counterpoise ,and my 130'Bottom Fed Inverted L. I only have the two inverted L's to tune now. I band hop every day, so I might end up tuning 20 times a night. I can switch bands and tune in seconds since I know where I need to be. Rigs and antennas have come and gone, but the AT2KD is going nowhere!

KU2US Rating: 5/5 Dec 17, 2018 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Tunes EVERYTHING!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have to give this unit a solid "5". It tunes in a light bulb right up to my 102' G5RV on 160 meters. I even tuned in my steel roof on 80m?? Didn't expect that! I have had no problems, but I had to send it back because of a stupid thing I did. I cross wired the meter and blew the board. Sent it back and in less than a week was totally repaired. I feel it is worth the $$$..

KN4RA Rating: 4/5 Dec 16, 2018 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Works for Me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the AT2KD NIB in 2015 from DXE. I use a 135' inverted vee dipole fed with 420 ohm ladder line at 40' into a DXE 1:1 balun with a short run of 9913 into the ham shack. It tunes reasonably well as long as I utilize the recommended length of ladder line outside. Some folks don't plan their antenna system nor ground their equipment properly and blame the tuner when it doesn't perform as advertised. The AT2KD does the job just fine for me. No arcs or sparks while running a KW. The metering is easily monitored and backlit. I would recommend this tuner, although I give it a 4 due to customer service. Paul is a highly intelligent engineer, but lacks in people skills.

W4TKY Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2018 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice Tuner not Great  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over all this tuner is very good. The ease of tuning with 2 knobs makes it fast and repeatable. I am able to tune most bands with my G5RV and Cushcraft R-7000 vertical.
The peak reading meter reads a little lower then my other meters. But the peak hold function works very well. The only down side and reason for the 4, is the Ant Switch doesn't have good strong contact points. It is mushy/soft. I decided to keep it on #1 position and use an ext. Alpha Delta switch to select antennas. I only change it to Bypass for use with a DL. I switch back and forth between antennas a lot. Overall it is a good piece of gear, but could be better for the price. IMO

W1BG Rating: 1/5 Feb 16, 2018 14:07 Send this review to a friend
Definitely Not a 5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This was my first-ever Palstar tuner which I bought on the recommendation of a friend. Unfortunately mine arrived DOA. How can something as simple as an antenna tuner be DOA? It would kinda-sorta start to tune, but then as you came down near the 2:1 point it suddenly jumped to 5:1 as though there was a dead spot in the roller inductor, except you couldn't rock it back & forth to find your previous spot. Once you were at 5:1 you were done. It exhibited the exact same problem trying to "tune" into a dummy load. Obviously Palstar has some quality control issues here. The 6-position switch also lacks a good positive stop like older Palstars had. This one is junk & was returned to Gigaparts.

N4DJT Rating: 1/5 Sep 6, 2017 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Over-Hyped POS  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I do not understand how this thing rates 5 star reviews. maybe I got one put together on a friday at 4:30pm?
1. Lets start with the the fact that this thing will not tune my fan dipole on 15 meters. yeah i get it..tuning a harmonic there.. but my INTERNAL tuner handles that with zero problems.

2. Next on the list. the Watt meter is off by 10-15% compared to my calibrated bird! on the 300 watt scale.

3. The roller inductor has a dead spot at around 282 on the counter - no where near the full travel.

4. The Antenna switch for coax position 2 is intermittent - I have to wiggle it to make full contact.

This thing was ordered BRAND NEW!
this POS has been nothing but a headache. Did Palstar outsource this model to MFJ? for the money this thing costs and rave reviews I expected better quality.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Jun 10, 2017 04:03 Send this review to a friend
Gotta luv it!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second PalStar differential tuner. Sold the first and went to an auto tuner (not a PalStar). Big mistake for many reasons. After a year, I bought the AT2KD and sold the auto tuner. Life is so much better with the AT2KD - no noise while tuning, no tuning interruptions while talking, very broad-banded, excellent build quality, and accurate resetability. I have had many tuners over the years (over 50 years on the air) and this is the best I have owned.