Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-811H Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-811H
Ameritron AL-811H Reviews: 183 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $899
Description: 160-10 meter RF Amplifier. 4 811A tubes
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/Product.php?productid=AL-811H

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-811H.

VE3UUH Rating: 4/5 Apr 29, 2019 14:06 Send this review to a friend
low cost amp that works reasonably well  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this amp for more than 7 years and still has original tubes. It works well on all bands but 10 meter output is a little low at around 500 watts pep.Most bands will get 700 to 800 watts output pep.I have had no trouble hooking this amp up to Yaesu Ft 990, Ft 1000Mp and now FT 2000. I did not experience any matching difficulties hooking these radios to the amplifier. It has been used with a Cushcraft R7, Hygain TH3 Mark IV, homebrew OCF There has been no arching, burning smells, switch failures but then these antenna are resonant.It gets medium use as I don't sit on the bands from sunrise to sunset 365 days a year either. Comparing this amp to an Alpha and such is ridiculous at best. For a low price and if used properly will do the job. Is it the best not even close. Remember you get what you pay for.

DV2AWN Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2019 09:06 Send this review to a friend
great amp for its price range  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought a used AL-811H, clean but used. it performed beautifully. one just have to learn properly tune and use it. experienced my first tube failure in one of its four 811A tubes, had all four replace and is now working perfectly. for its price range, its a perfect amp for novice hf linear amp user like me. just have to have spare tube handy just in case.

DV2AWN Rating: 5/5 Feb 4, 2019 22:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Amp!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought my AL-811H used but in good condition. took some researching to learn how to properly tune it which is very important from what i have read and heard. my amp is performing perfectly... just love it. would recommend this amp in a heartbeat. its not a KW amp but it does the job well. had great signal report with it, even when pushing only 300 watts.

KM4NYI Rating: 4/5 Dec 30, 2018 02:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Low Priced Amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Before buying one I read every review of the AL811H I could find, and despite some poor opinions, the majority seemed to be positive. Of course, the AL811H isn't an Alpha or a Yaesu, but at way less than half the price of most other amps, I wouldn't expect it to be. It's probably the best selling amp on the market today, and considering Ameritron has been building it for years, I figured it can't be too bad.

Thankfully, as I was thinking about buying a new one, a friend of mine offered me a used amp for a great price with a fresh set of Taylor tubes installed. It tuned right up, and worked great, except for a parasitic oscillation that showed up intermittently on 20 meters. I discovered mine was manufactured in 2007, and that Ameritron had made some production changes to address this (and other issues) since then. I replaced the parasitic suppression board ($35), installed a couple of gas discharge tubes in the filament circuit ($2), and removed the RC network from the grid circuit and grounded the tube grids directly to the chassis. This solved the problem, and now the amp is solid as a rock on all bands. If you purchase a used AL811H made before mid-2011, check out www.w8ji.com and follow the easy instructions to perform the updates. Of course, if your considering buying a new one, you won't have to do anything.

How does it work? In a word, great. It tunes up nicely on all the bands, input SWR is easily adjusted to 1:1, the fan is quiet, and I have received very positive signal reports with many comments about the great audio quality. I usually run mine with 40 watts of drive, which gets me over 500 watts out on sideband. It will do more, but why push it. Mine will put out advertised power levels, but let's face it: if they can't hear you at 500 watts, they're probably not gonna hear you at 800 watts either.

Be careful tuning it up, and make sure to only transmit for about 5 seconds and then wait 15 seconds for cool down when using an AM signal to tune with. Once the plate's tuned and the load's adjusted, crank up the power and run it on sideband until you're all talked out. The 811 tubes won't handle much mistuning with high power carriers, and the Chinese tubes aren't the greatest quality, but the price of replacement tubes is so cheap you don't have to worry about breaking the bank if you wear them out.

If you are looking for an HF amp to lift you out of the 100 watt doldrums, and don't want to spend a couple thousand for an amp, the AL811H might just fit the bill. For me, it's a simple little amp that gives me all the power I need.

MM0IMC Rating: 1/5 Dec 24, 2018 21:23 Send this review to a friend
Caveat Emptor  Time owned: more than 12 months
Prone to blowing valves (tubes), fussy about WARC bands input VSWR. Quality Control can be hit and miss.

Save your money and get something with better quality...

W7WPW Rating: 1/5 Dec 16, 2018 01:41 Send this review to a friend
Just got one...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got an AL-811H. ( ordered from DX Engineering ) I opened it up to remove packing materials around the tubes and found-- The fan wires were not connected, One transformer wire to the back PCB loose, and two capacitors on the front wafer switch not soldered.
This is just unacceptable! I repaired the defects and it tuned up just fine. I didn't want to believe the posts I saw about defective manufacturing, but now I do believe. If you order an Ameritron, be sure you have the ability to repair it right out of the box. We fire people where I work for being this brain dead as far as QC goes. Again... NO Excuse!

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2018 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Ameritron AL 811HX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Ameritron AL 811HX, European version, i just bought one of these, nearly new, it works great, no problems thus far, its running off 240 volts AC, i get 400 watts out of it for 20 watts in, thats our legal limit in UK 400 Watts, the PTT line runs at about 100 mA /12 volts and my Icom IC 7300 relay Jack is rated at max 17 volts 0.5A, so i can plug the amplifier straight into it without any problems..the Amp is rated at 800W, i haven't tried it on that as yet, it does work in the AUX position for 10 and 12 meters...if they dont you apparently have to cut a green wire connected to the 10 meter AUX coil inside...so yes all in all i like the Amplifier.....from Fred g4vvq in England.

KE0OHO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2018 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Hammer of the Gods  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In going from 100 watts, this was the best amp for me. For $900 I get a new Tube amplifier with power supplyy. It gives me a 9db Power gain at 800 watts, next 3db would be 1600 watts. Wayyy better than 100 watts. A durable old design. Good resale. Very good reliability. The solid state stuff, big parts count, big power supply, delicate output devices, big money, not ready for prime time HF, yet?

WY7CHY Rating: 5/5 Aug 31, 2017 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Amp' especially for price  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned this amp for going on 2 years now. I bought it used from a friend of mine. He had it for about 6-7 years. New, it's about $1000. I got it used for about $500. You can find them for about $500-$600 used. Those who criticize the 811H and the little brother 811 do so mainly because of advertised power out. They say that you can't really get 800 watts PEP out of the 811H without overdriving the tubes. That may be true. The power supply is definitely the weak link.

With traditional 811A tubes, you would be pressed getting 800 watts PEP out without pushing the tubes too hard. However, you can easily find some quality Ryazan G-811 tubes which are sturdier. But BETTER YET, you can simply put in 572b tubes. They are a direct swap; can handle so much more power than the amp can produce and will run much easier. Of course, without pushing hard or replacing tubes, you can easily get 650-700 watts out. And that extra 100 watts isn't going to gain you anything noticeable.

Other than the power advertisement, the amp is a very good amp. It's very simple. Easy to operate. Easy to work on if you ever had a problem. The design is tried and true and has been around for 25 years without any major changes. If it ain't broke,,,,, don't fix it.

If you have the extra money, buy the AL-80B. More power and better overall amp. But it's an extra $600 new and used is still about an extra $400. So, if money is an issue, get the 811H if money isn't an issue, get the 80B. For what it's worth, the extra couple hundred watts out of the 80B isn't really worth the extra $400-$600 for the amp. For the average person who wants an amp to make up for not having the best highest gain antenna, and wants to make those DX contacts, the 811H is a great amp. With my crappy antenna, the 811H has helped me contact europe, russia, all of the USA, central and south america, and some asian areas like hawaii.

N0HAN Rating: 5/5 Aug 4, 2016 07:21 Send this review to a friend
better amp  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a 811 and traded it for 811H have to admit not much power gain but hey 600 + on all bands not bad like the cost of the 811 tubes. Mine has soft tubes till this winter! About 2 S units 7-9 db increase. 40 wts in 600+ out