Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Radio Shack DX-390 Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack DX-390 Receiver
Radio Shack DX-390 Receiver Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $149.95 (1992)
Description: General coverage SW/AM/FM receiver with LW and MW available also. Memory system for storing frequencies a plus. Battery or AC powered.

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack DX-390 Receiver.

W2WHT Rating: 4/5 Oct 28, 2018 15:39 Send this review to a friend
workhorse  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had mine since they debuted at Radio Shack. I had a DX440 previous to this unit. I would guess I have had it almost 25 years now.

AM/FM is good and stable. I use mine almost every night as a bedside radio. It stands nicely and it is not prone to tipping over which can be a problem with the newer smaller portables.

I use mine on an ac adapter. I have used it without the external power supply and the d cells (4) last about 2 months using it 1 hour a night at low volume. Turned up it uses a lot more power and is a battery hog that way.

Short wave listening is good and the keypad is straightforward and easy to use. SSB is where this radio is not up to snuff. Since I bought this radio before I became a ham, that did not seem important back then but now I notice it but this does not alter my impression of the radio much.

This is a good radio but it is bulky compared to the new smaller portables and it has its limitations so it would not be my choice as a 'survival radio' if I had to pick one out of my collection.

If you are looking at buying one used, I would recommend testing it if possible and definitely get an ac adapter for home listening.

The power consumption and ssb issues aside, it is a very solid performer.

KI6OSH Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2011 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Pretty good...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Thoroughly enjoyed this receiver when I purchased it way back when. Great for taking camping or on trips. It's not an Icom, Kenwood, or Yaesu but it does pretty good for a relatively inexpensive general coverage receiver. Especially now that they sell used for well under 100 dollars if you can find one. Works better on HF with an external antenna, which it has a jack for. All in all, a great introductory radio receiver.