Reviews Categories | Antenna Analyzers | RigExpert AA-54 Help

Reviews Summary for RigExpert AA-54
RigExpert AA-54 Reviews: 68 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $300
Description: RigExpert AA-54 is powerful antenna analyzer designed for testing, checking, tuning or repairing antennas and antenna feedlines in the range of 0.1 to 54 MHz. USB connection to computer.
More info: http://www.rigexpert.com

You can write your own review of the RigExpert AA-54.

K1VCT Rating: 5/5 Jan 24, 2019 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Tune your amp to!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my second, and 'add-on' review for the fantastic AA-54.

Was strugglin' to tune the input slugs on my Ameritron amp. It suddenly occurred to me that the AA-54 could help with that.

Amp output into a dummy load, no drive. AA-54 on amp's input. Manually key the amp and make a whole band's analysis. Adjust slugs as needed.

You don't hear about that application too often, so I thought I'd add the additional review.

The AA-54 is worth every penny paid!

N1DG Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2018 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Don't leave home without it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was one of the organizers for the recently concluded KH1/KH7Z Baker Island DXpedition. On June 25 we landed on Baker and immediately started building antennas consisting of 3 small SteppIR IRs, 3 big IRs, 3 two element arrays for 20 and 15, verticals for 80 and 160, 2 DHDL receive antennas and a 3 element 6 mtr vertical beam. All had to be tuned due to proximity to the ocean and tides.
Imagine doing this without a reliable and accurate antenna tuner? We took the best, two AA-54s that were used on EVERY antenna we erected. No guesswork, no worries about inaccurate readings. The range display, the quick swr readings. There is no way we would build the camp and make 70,000 QSOs without these valuable tools. Thank you RigExpert!
Don N1DG

Sorry, forgot to give credit where credit is due:
The antenna analyzer was made possible through the generosity of Yuri and Rig Expert. Thanks guys.

Don
N1DG

KF2T Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2018 19:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid Tool!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After owning an AA-54 for the last few years, I wouldn't want to construct or install an antenna without it.

It. Just. Works. Really. Well.

Well built, intuitive operation, easy to read display, good battery life. One of the best decisions I've made in ham radio. If you're an antenna nut like me, get one today!

LB0NH Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2018 04:53 Send this review to a friend
worth every $  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
it is a extremely handy tool very easy to use. For hams doing qrp and portable radio it is an absolutely essential tool. I use it to tune my buddystick antenna and the rigexpert greatly improves tuning time for this antenna.

WA2SI Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2017 04:40 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The AA-54 is a very powerful tool that's quite simple to use. It's worth every penny and can be purchased directly from RigExpert USA. (They offer a better warranty when purchased directly through them.)The build quality is solid and its operation intuitive. This unit is highly recommended.

RigExpert USA's customer service is A1 and e-mails are answered very promptly. The level of customer service and the willingness to "go the extra mile" to ensure you're completely satisfied by Lynette and the entire RigExpert USA staff is second to none and equaled only by Elecraft. (Fine company indeed!)

W3HKK Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2017 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
It's been five years since I bought it and recently learned something new.

I use the TDR feature to monitor the shape of my coax to various antennas. It shows you the characteristic impedance as you scan along the length from shack to antenna. Recently I found a couple segments of old coax that were showing 65 ohms for what used to be 50 ohm coax. I tested the old coax using 1000 points ( as recommended) and also 4000 and then 5000 points. The characteristics of a brand new 175' segment of RG213 when I tested it by itself, open circuited, was 51 ohms. Perfect. But when I inserted it into the final 175 ft leg of my feedline to my 160m inv-L the readings varied. depending on how many points I used.

Specifically, the characteristic impedance was 58-62 ( 1000 pts), 54-55 ( 4000 points) and 57-58 ( 5000 pts). Why did it climb for the highest resolution? The manual said you could test it either open circuited, close circuited or connected to an antenna.

Clearly, it makes a difference which way you test, because when I tested the new coax installed at the far end of the coax line, but disconnected from the antenna, it read as expected.....51 ohms.

I now have my antennas wired with a short coax pigtail connected to a male connector into a barrel connector, so I can remove the antenna and just test the entire run of coax (open-circuited.) It's much much more precise. and Im a happy camper. (despite what the manual says.)

N4OC Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Ease of use & excellent performance  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't normally write reviews but this analyzer is worth the money in every respect. Simple to use, very reliable and definitely field portable. The ability to save graphs and charts directly from the analyzer plus the ability to connect directly to a computer for higher resolution graphs with a high degree of info is exceptionally useful.

I'm using a MACBOOK laptop with Parallels software to run the AntScope software.

KB4DU Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2017 13:31 Send this review to a friend
Great Tool  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is my favorite test instrument. I use it to measure everything from the antenna connection on the rig to the guy ropes at the end of the antenna. The additional features of the AA54 compared to the AA30 are well worth the money, especially to measure several frequencies at once. The included software really extends the capabilities to include nearly everything a ham could use.

WB6UQA Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2017 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Great for Hex Beam  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Can scan 5 bands at the same time. Can test for interaction of bands.

KM6AXC Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 08:11 Send this review to a friend
A Wonderful tool But....  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I "think" I am using the analyzer correctly. At least, it sure looks like it's giving this newbie helpful information. Even though I do not yet understand all it's components, it sure has pleased me!! I love learning new stuff - I wish there was more in depth info as to "how does one use the data to improve antenna problems". I know the data is there but I lack the knowledge to use it correctly. For example, page 10 of the user manual discusses the R.X graph mode. That is fine - but what I need to know is how does one pick out danger/performance issues by looking at that graph? The SWR part I get (I think - but newbie still) and using it seems to produce great results. Maybe the manufactuer rightly assumes that if one is to use this device, one should know HOW to use it:):) I can understand that and will endeavor to search the internet for such "using answers". Just lazy on my part I reckon? Anyway, I am very happy with it and recommend it's use to all (hopefully your user knowledge is greater than mine).