Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver
Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $109.9
Description: FM-Stereo /MW/LW/SW SSB/AIR band (118-137 MHz) World Receiver with high sensitivity and selectivity.
More info: http://www.tecsun.com.cn/

You can write your own review of the Tecsun PL-660 PLL World Band Receiver.

KE5GK Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2018 19:39 Send this review to a friend
Jury Still Out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I live in a very high noise level house (not the wife or grandkids). The reviews on You Tube are mixed.Most give it high marks. Some compare it to the PL 880 and grip about the sub par performance.We are raising 3 grandkids and my XYL is a semi-invalid; consequently, I have not had opportunity to go to a better test location.

The size is great, (old men like that) the battery life is bad, on FM it is stellar, AM is average, the sound quality beats my Sony 2010! When the noise drops below S9, I have been able to use the SSB feature on the ham bands. Maybe, just maybe. I'll have another review later.

I paid $109 USD. Been an SWLer since 1956 and ham since 1969. Is this a great hobby or what ?????

M6AIU Rating: 5/5 Feb 8, 2018 07:54 Send this review to a friend
Great for the price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Great little portable Rcvr - yes it has its issues but I easily overlook them for what you get for your buck! Come on folks, be realistic - its cheap and cheerful and does the job maybe not as good as others costing over twice as much! Sold my others and this is a keeper..

Get your own rechargables and you are all set...

N4YX Rating: 2/5 Dec 17, 2017 15:11 Send this review to a friend
Too Many Issues  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had the PL-600 & probably should have kept it. Bought the PL-660 & soon discovered many of the issues others before me have already shared. Audio screech upon advancing the volume control; minus 5 KHz wide filter offset; many internally generated artifacts when tuning around especially LW; LSB not set correct albeit USB is set correctly ... etc. I sent the radio back. IMHO these issues should not exist. It may be these radios are leaving the manufacturing facility simply not aligned. And, OBTW, try to find anything official about DIY alignment!

K7QQH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2017 21:00 Send this review to a friend
Very good SW Portable  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After researching "best" portable Shortwave/all band receivers in terms of features vs. cost, I choose the PL-660.

The little RX is packed with features, is VERY sensitive, and all accessories are included. Being an active ham (59 years), I wanted a "do all" travel rig for casual SW listening - which it does quite well - even copying CW and SSB on the ham bands.

Throwing the (included) wire antenna over a tree limb netted excellent SW reception and I was blown away by the many stations on the busy bands.
Build quality is also VERY good and the radio has a slightly "heavy" and robust feel for a small travel rig. Would I buy another? Absolutely! The company is solid and my conversations with the factory (regarding ship time to Seattle) were warm and pleasant (interesting that Tecsun sells MANY weather radios to both civilian and military clients)

Buy it and enjoy!

Roger C.
K7QQH

SQ4NYY Rating: 3/5 Nov 20, 2017 12:44 Send this review to a friend
You get what you pay for.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
UI is terrible, but it still is the cheapest pocket SSB receiver.

VK2JEM Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2017 18:59 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got one just as a cheap travel radio i could throw in suitcase when i was going overseas. Thought if it works OK it will be fine and if i lose or break it i wont cry.

I was really blown away when i got it! It works really well. Is very sensitive and stable, two well chosen bandwidths, SSB, sync detector works well. Sound is good for its size, outstanding on phones.

Its small and the buttons a little fiddly and stiff, makes it a little hard to use in dark. But its a top performer, especially given the price.

Mine has been around the world with me and i wont travel without it.

Some people have had problems with theirs but mine is faultless. I know from dealing professionally with Chinese manufacturers that they have a different idea of quality control. (When i told one manufacturer - not tecsun- i was disappointed by the failure rate, they just said "but they are so cheap you can just replace the faulty ones".) They are right, if mine fails I would replace it with another.

If you are buying one used test it first, if it works well its a great buy.

KE5GK Rating: 3/5 Dec 7, 2016 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Good Half of a Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Tecsun PL-660 is not a half good receiver; rather, it is a good half receiver. The better half is the super FM sensitivity and excellent speaker reproduction. The small size and price are in the much above average department. Memories galore and the ergonomics are very impressive. SSB and BFO work great.

The other half that is most disappointing is the digital readout is at least 2 kHz off on AM and Shortwave bands. In spite of three sensitivity positions, the intermod and image rejection is the worst of any radio I have owned. Standard batteries give out faster than a child’s toy on Christmas morning.

The gold standard for portable radios is my old Sony 2010. The Tecsun PL-660 makes an affordable, yet deficient, backup.

K0KZO Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2016 06:55 Send this review to a friend
Good for the ham bands  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was looking for a radio with better SSB reception than my old Grundig YB400PE and Kaito 1103.

The PL-660 is clearly better for this purpose. It is easy to tune in SSB phone and CW signals; much easier than my other two sets; however, my sample is not without flaws. The tuning accuracy on MW is off by 5-6khz and reception is noisy. The BW filter is centered at 10khz steps instead of the tuned frequency, so it is useless if the tuning is off by 6khz. So for MW DXing it is subpar, but servicable.

On FM I have distortion (maybe a birdie) around 88-90 Mhz that wipes out a couple of stations. Other than that it's okay.

Since the radio is very inexpensive, I will keep it, flaws included. I purchased it to surf the ham bands and it works well for that purpose.

All of my little portables have strengths. The Grundig is a good sounding AM/FM BCB radio. The 1103 is a good weak signal DXer, and this 660 is a nice SWL with good SSB performance.

K9YC Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2016 10:28 Send this review to a friend
Fine Portable Receiver  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm a retired broadcast engineer, and I've owned and loved the smaller and lower cost PL380 for 3-4 years now. I use it for general FM listening, both at home and when I'm traveling. I showed it to my neighbor, W6GJB, who soon after bought a PL-660. I listened to it, and ordered one for myself.
Both this radio, and much smaller and cheaper PL380 have excellent selectivity on the AM and FM broadcast bands. When connected to an external antenna, I can tune in weak signals with much stronger signals on the adjacent channel that my wonderful 70s vintage Technics ST9030 don't even hear! (The ST9030 is the last great FM receiver with a big, multi-section tuning cap (6-7 sections), and is virtually overload proof.
The PL660 is considerably more sensitive than the PL380, adds Aircraft Band AM coverage and a BFO. Both radios do very well with an external antenna, both sound pretty good driving headphones (I use Sony MDR-7506). See note below about the switch.
The PL660 is quite useful in probing for RF noise, both for power line noise using the AM detector on the Aircraft band, and for electronic noise (switch-mode power supplies, computers, variable-speed motor controllers, battery chargers) tuning on the ham bands.
Battery life is quite good with good batteries. The unit is shipped with lousy 1 Ah AA cells; I use high quality 2.8 Ah NiMH batteries.
My only complaints are 1) the headphone "tone" control is a two-position switch that rolls off the low end or the high end, but there's no center position for full range; 2) the batteries must be removed from the radio for charging.

MIKEL Rating: 4/5 Mar 6, 2016 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Very Good AM Reception / SSB Only Fair  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As advertised, the receiver offers excellent sensitivity and reasonable selectivity. The BFO on my unit will not effectively receive amateur SSB transmissions. The Sony 7600GR and Eton/Grundig products seem to perform significantly better with SSB reception