Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | QSO-King End Fed Antennas by NUR Help

Reviews Summary for QSO-King End Fed Antennas by NUR
QSO-King End Fed Antennas by NUR Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$60-80
Description: 160-6 meters. Very efficient end fed antennas. Quick deployment.
More info: http://eBay. Search QSO King or end fed wire antenna

You can write your own review of the QSO-King End Fed Antennas by NUR.

WC0L Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2019 19:18 Send this review to a friend
Wide Range Tuner is Needed  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna for more than five years. I have used the antenna in several vertical and horizontal configurations. I have found that the inverted V seems to work best at my location. I have used it with and without a wire counterpoise, and have found that using the coax feedline shield as the negative side of the antenna works best for me. I use a coax coil common mode choke where the coax enters my shack, which is about 100 feet from the antenna box. There may be a misconception that this antenna is resonant in certain ham bands. There may be some coincidental resonant points in some ham bands in some installations. I would not know because I have never looked for them. Bruce's ebay listing says: "Tunes 160-6 meters with wide range antenna tuner". I have always used a wide range tuner with this antenna and would never try to use it any other way. I have thoroughly enjoyed this antenna, especially on 160 meters. Bruce builds good stuff. I once had him build a custom balun for me and it is also great. Highly recommended.

N4HNH Rating: 3/5 Feb 14, 2019 20:28 Send this review to a friend
First impression not so great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just helped install the 117 ft. QSO King end-fed for a new General class ham. The high end of the antenna is near 50 ft. The Un-Un matching unit is mounted to a fence post at around 7 feet from the ground. The designer says the antenna needs no ground so we did not connect the ground, at first.

Before we connected the radio to the antenna, I connected my RigExpert analyzer. The SWR at 160 and 80 meters was very high, approaching 10:1. There were harmonic nulls at under 2:1 around 40m, 20m, and 10m, but all were outside of the limits for those bands, which makes me curious as to why the antenna is cut at 117 feet.

We tried ferrite chokes at the radio end. They made some difference but not huge. We tried coiling the coax 2-3 turns with and without the chokes. The SWR would come down to 1.5:1 where it had been 2:1, but the areas of resonance were in the same places, outside of the limits of 40m, 20m, and 10m.

Finally, we tried connecting the ground wire to the house ground. This brought 160m down a bit. We then coiled the coax about 2.5 turns near the Matching unit and placed 4 snap-on ferrite chokes near the Matching unit end of the coax. This brought 160m low enough that the internal tuner on the radio could match the radio to the antenna. 40m and 20m also tune with the internal tuner, though no tuner would be required at 6.7MHz, 13.4MHz, and 26.8MHz, if they happened to fall within a ham band. The SWR dips to below 1.5:1 on these frequencies.
The best SWR we could get for 80m was 6.7:1 at 3.9MHz. The internal tuner cannot match this.

The new General ham made a 160m contact about 30-40 miles away and received a 59+15 report, using 100W. He will try the antenna for a couple more days to see how it performs on other bands. 80m is not usable for now, unless he gets a wide-range external tuner.

KK4RHF Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2017 11:23 Send this review to a friend
Still working after 4.5 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my first Amateur License back in May of 2013. Being on a fixed income I always search for the best bang for my buck. This QSO King is so simple to own and use. I already had my first radio Yaesu FT-890 which I got in package deal with a Yaesu FL-2100B. I had planned on using the 2100 but have not really needed it. I make contacts any time I turn the FT-890 on. I have not joined in any contest but I might in the future. I know My antenna is ready and waiting. I always recommend this antenna to anyone who is just starting out or if they have a situation with a HOA.

NINO Rating: 5/5 Jul 3, 2017 23:53 Send this review to a friend
update on a great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned bruce's antenna for over 3 yrs now. It is a 54 ft lazy l mounted in my attic. In this time i have talked as far as africa, i have worked germany, france, italy, bermuda and sansketchewan to name but a few, all on 100 watts. This antenna tunes AND talks from 6 to 160 meters out of the back of my yeasu 450d. This is an investment you will treasure. I am about to write him for guidance in how to make it a vertical, as I have to move and wont have attic access. If you want a does what it says antenna, this is the one!!! Also it is really cool to be able to talk to the owner, who makes time to help you with any issues.

W1UFL Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2017 04:43 Send this review to a friend
Does as advertised  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first HF antenna. It covers everything from 160 through 6 meters. 60 meters and 160 it does well on its own without the need for tuning, the other bands need a bit of tuning. I've put 1500 watts through it everywhere with no issues at all. It does what it's advertised to do, of course it's a compromise antenna but functional. Joe, W1UFL

KD8M Rating: 5/5 May 24, 2017 14:22 Send this review to a friend
Update after four months  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
AWESOME! I kept fiddling with it - I have a RigExpert 1000 and love to play! I started with 50-ft coax, then went to 75-ft. I happened to add a 16-foot piece (all LMR400) - WOW! Then I put on a 100-ft coax . . . not as good. I also lengthened it to around 140-feet. My antenna likes 91 feet of coax. With that, I get from 0.7 MHz to 55 MHz ALL below 10:1 SWR, per the RigExpert. My antenna tuner takes it from there. From 15 mi N of Mexico in AZ, I can talk to Canada, NY, Cuba, FL, you name it. I have almost made contacts in the Philippines and Antigua . . . current noisy conditions had us fading in and out. The QSO-King is an inverted V with 27' in the center going down to 10'.

Only issue - if you are within 500 miles, I skip right over you. I am working on a NVIS now.

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2017 21:32 Send this review to a friend
Good Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If one antenna is the answer for your needs this is it. Used a 100' fed of RG8x using a CMC where it comes into the shack, 3 to 1 on 3900 an lower SWR going lower on this band . Do most of my talking around 3900 an that's before correction with my tuner
40m is flat from 7150-7250 no tuner needed, on 160m its 3 to 1 all other bands 2 to 1 SWR or less this antenna covers before correction, takes 1200w no problem , Its 3 to 1 on 1863 before correction where I do some talking early in the AM its
down 1S-2s units from a resonant dipole most of the time, but still brings in signals strong an clear, the fed end is at 12' center is at 36'an the end is at 12' for what the antenna cost an what it covers its one of the best deals in HAM radio, are there better EF antennas out there maybe, but the antenna takes the power, hears well an is very easy to install. ............kb6hrt

N1YZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2017 15:53 Send this review to a friend
Solved my stations weakness on 40m  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am using the 117' version of this end fed (EF) antenna). This antenna has allowed me to do several things my dipole could not.
1) Operate on 160m - yay!
2) Hear and work better on 80m.
3) Work much much better on 40m.

I typically operate on 20m and below so my difficulties on 40m with my dipole were a major disappointment. This antenna has solved that in a huge way. Weeks of A & B antenna tests between the two antennas show the QSO-King EF antenna receives 10-15db better than my dipole on 40 and 3-5 db better than my dipole on 80m. This is good news! On 20m the antenna hears about 3-5 db down from my dipole, but because the antenna is oriented differently from my dipole, some sigs are stronger with the QSO-King. The one QSO I had on 17m showed the EF beat my dipole by 4db.

The HF bands have not been too hot from 15m -10m lately so there is more testing to be done there. All in all an excellent experience with this antenna. I'll update my experience going forward.

KD6SX Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2017 15:19 Send this review to a friend
Revised review  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a revision of my previously submitted review of 16 February 17. In that review, I said that the QSO King was not as good as my doublet on 30 and 40 meters. I contacted Bruce by email for his advice and he told me what I'd done wrong. I had placed an air-wrapped RF choke at the coax feed point on the balun. This was wrong and I should have known it. This antenna design requires a length of coax to provide sufficient ground for it to work properly. If a choke is used at the balun, it chokes off the length of ground needed. If a choke is used, it should be on the radio end. I corrected my mistake and it made a huge difference. The antenna now works at least as well as my doublet on all bands and I only have to use an external tuner on 160 meters. My rig's internal tuner mops up the SWR on all other bands.

I'm happy to give this antenna a "5" now.

KD6SX

W1UFL Rating: 5/5 Jun 6, 2016 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Results  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been running this for about 2 1/2 months. It has great SWR on 5 thru 20 meters. Some tuning required for 40, 80 and 160. The lower portion of 6 meters is easily tuned. I ended up needing two line isolators however, one up at the feed point, and a 2nd behind my tuner. Common mode and RF back in the shack without them. Some of this is due to the 1000 watts I push through it. With the radio by itself you can possibly get by without any isolators or perhaps only one. This is put up in an L shape horizontally and is only about 25 feet in the air. I have made contacts on all bands, if I can hear them I can work them. This gets you on the air period. For now, this works for me.