Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | FlexRadio FLEX-6300 Help

Show all reviews of the FlexRadio FLEX-6300

You can write your own review of the FlexRadio FLEX-6300.

K9ZW  Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2014 19:59  Send this review to a friend!
Outstanding Performance at a Value Pricepoint  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Okay, I bought my Flex-6300 as both a backup radio to the Flex-6700 in my shack and as a field portable unit to use at our weekend retreat.

I operated many weekends from Washington Island Wisconsin (IS Island WI-001L) with the Flex-6300 and a Toshiba Laptop, running into a SteppIR CrankIR antenna with outstanding success.

Rocky Ridge Farm was exactly that - a 100 year old farmhouse & buildings on a high rocky knoll in the center of the Island. Each weekend I would set up my gear and then take it down & store it until the next. You can read about the operations at k9zw.wordpress.com

The 6300 at its price-point is a stunning radio - much of the utility of the 6700 wit the obvious limitations of a single receiver (SCU) and limited slices & slice sizing. But since my antenna needed to be tuned as I switch bands it wasnít a handicap - and I didnít need to tear up my home shack to drag out the 6700. The 6300 also did fabulous when my 6700 recently traveled back to FlexRadio Systems for a factory upgrade program (PEN - Product Enhancement).

Operating from the RF quiet Island the simpler design and preselector-free configuration made no difference. I missed the boat by not bringing both the 6300 & 6700 to the Island at the same time to do some A/B testing.

My simple setup performed beyond expectations - not that many S-Units behind the Islandís best station in many cases, and it was also very easy to use for digital modes (DM780 software mostly).

Setting things up on the Toshiba was easy, but please if you are considering a SmartSDR/DAX powered radio realize getting your setup right is critical. I tried running the setup on an old IBM Laptop as I would have left that on the Island, but it didnít meet the suggested minimum specifications and wasnít swamping the processor when I tried adding HRD/DM780.

I also found it made a huge difference to bring a decent router rather than trying to make the Laptop happy with a direct connect, and even as it was I mostly hand logged (I kept forgetting to bring a second monitor so I could have all my software showing at one time).

All the QSO from the Island were made barefoot - the 100 watts into the CrankIR did the job easily. Again as I didnít want to rip my home QTH shack apart, I used a simple set of powered (AA batteries) computer speakers intended for portable use and an inexpensive set of MFJ-392B headphones when I didnít want to run the speakers. For a mic I used the supplied FRS hand mic.

Iím expecting the 6300 will make a few more trips to the Island before I find a way to set up a long-term station there, and will go traveling with me elsewhere.

Very pleased with the performance, especially the receiverís capabilities, at this price point.

Steve