Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Help

Show all reviews of the Ham Radio Deluxe

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe.

N2SUB  Rating: 1/5 Sep 2, 2016 08:51  Send this review to a friend!
Flimsy at best  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using HRD 6.1 for a few years, and I've learned to deal with the various popups, and the inability to interface with LOTW despite multiple reinstalls. Support basically told me I was on my own and closed my ticket, even though I sent them the log file from the program. It freezes up now and then, and sometimes makes ghost entries in my log. But ok, I can deal with it. I have been developing software for decades, I get it.....nothing is perfect.

I purchased HRD 6.3, only to find out Windows XP was not supported. So, I installed HRD on a brand new Windows 10 machine, and everything appeared to be working fine. Then, I installed Office 365, and it broke the LogBook. Known problem, they say. There is a whole page devoted to telling you how to tweak the registry, download things, repair files, etc, etc.

Alright guys, enough is enough. If you have known problems, like compatibility issues with Microsoft products, you need to release a hotfix. It would take a day to create a script to do all of the things your page says to do, and it would be idiot proof. Nobody should ever have to edit their registry because of a compatibility issue caused by your software using an old jet driver and ODBC for communications. ESPECIALLY if the issue occurred from installing a tried and true product like Office. From my viewpoint, there is not enough R&D before new releases are made available. There are not enough updates, and there are no hotfixes or patches. If they want to charge big-boy money, they need to develop at a big-boy level. There should be wizards for setup, so information can be put into necessary but forgotten fields, and data could be shared between programs to prevent duplicate entries. I can see a lot of development time went into the bells and whistles, but for goodness sake, make it a little more user-friendly and a little more stable before pushing it to market. I'd expect bugs and lengthy configuration procedures in free software. Caveat emptor. Know what you're getting before you drop the money on software that, in my opinion, is not mature.

Sorry guys, I've tried to love it. It just isn't worth the price.