Categories | QRP Accessories | QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others Help

Show all reviews of the QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others

You can write your own review of the QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others.

N4MMI  Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2016 19:30  Send this review to a friend!
AWESOME keyboard interface, display, & logger for my KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's not often that a product comes along that so exceeds my expectations that I'm blown away. The QRPworks SideKar is that product! I first learned about the device when I purchased a case online to carry my KX3 on SOTA expeditions from one of the QRPworks owners, Shel, KF0UR. He mentioned I might want to look into a new accessory made for Elecraft radios that he and an associate had developed. It is much like their Ham Central Terminal, but more compact, lighter, and mounts directly to a KX2 or KX3. As a Colorado ham, Shel knows from experience how important light and compact are for a SOTA operator.

I gave it a look online. $259 for a device that allows me to run RTTY and PSK (and CW) from 14,000 feet without carrying a computer, and yet able to send with a wireless or USB keyboard, log at the same time, and read 40 characters instead of my KX3's 8! Awesome! I was a little skeptical, but after dealing with Shel on the KX3 case, I trusted the guy. I am glad I did!

I guess I'm "that guy" because I hate to read instructions out of the gate. When the SideKar showed up, I installed the single screw that was required, plugged the unit in to the KX3 and to a 13.8 volt power supply, plugged in the wireless 2.4 GHz keyboard dongle, and went to town. Didn't read the instructions. This thing is seriously plug and play! Within 2 minutes I was reading QSOs on the display in CW and PSK on 20 meters. In a few more minutes, I made my first CW contact by keyboard (I'm working on code, but not there yet). This is an amazing little device and it's so light and small, I won't notice it a bit carrying it up over 14k in Colorado next summer. It even comes with a shorter cord to connect it to the rig so you don't have the long factory cord in the way!

I really love this little gem. Give it a look. It might be just the ticket for expanding your operating opportunities when running portable with a KX2 or KX3. And by the way, it looks like a factory accessory from Elecraft. It fits perfectly with my Side KX plates and Cooler KX Plus heat sink too! It also goes on and off easily so my KX3 still fits in it's Pelican without the unit attached.

/David, N4MMI