Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox Help

Show all reviews of the W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox

You can write your own review of the W6LVP Receiving Amplified Loop with transmit/receive switchbox.

KA6WKE  Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2017 11:04  Send this review to a friend!
I Can Highly Recommend this Antenna   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been smitten with lowband now that the propagation cycle is in the doldrums. My main station antenna for 160-30 is a 36' vertical with a 40M fullwave loop capacity hat. Lowband is usable with this antenna provided signals are S9+. My local noise level is typically S6+, but lately it's crept up S9+10.

I decided I wanted to try a magloop. After much research, I decided on Larry's RX only loop. I thought just having a RX loop would suffice. Prior to purchase, I contacted Larry to discuss my situation where I have a 50KW AM broadcast station that's about a mile away as the crow flies. There are other high powered AM stations within a 10 mile radius too. I pretty much thought a loop would be out of the question. Larry responded within a few hours and did his own research and thought the version of the loop with an 11-pole 1700 KHz BCB filter might work. Both of us weren't sure due to being so close to that station. I went ahead and purchased the antenna because Larry said if it didn't work, send it back. My version included the DC power tee too as my loop would be about 60' away from the shack.

The loop was installed 7' above the ground about 30' away from my home. It was fed with 135’ of quad shielded RG-6. My QTH is in the southern California area so I pointed the antenna at about 45 degrees and left it there. No rotator yet. I used an Icom 7600 and started with basic A/B comparison between the loop and the full size antenna. Clearly the loop was very quiet compared to the vertical. Dialing around 160 and switching between antennas while listening to a QSO, the loop took over in performance once signals got below S6. Signals unreadable on the vertical were Q5 on the loop down to the ionospheric noise level.

To test the filter, I put the 7600 on 760 Khz. It pins the S meter at S9+60 using the vertical. Switching the loop dropped the signal to about S9+10. Manually rotating the antenna, I couldn’t get a null at all – just too close. Inside the shack, I added an Array Solutions BCB filter before the 7600. That dropped the signal another couple of S units. I installed right after the bias tee a Palomar Engineers CMNF-500HF broadband RFI filter to block any BCB/RFI signals traveling along the coax. This setup has zero overload, birdies, or RFI. The loop is even quieter compared to before all the in-shack filtering.

A month later, I added a rotator to the mix. Using WWV on 2.5 MHz, I was able to peak the signal to S9, then rotate the loop broadside and experience a very deep null with the signal fading between unreadable to about S2. Very nice capability.

I entered the 2017 ARRL 160M. Any station I could hear on the loop I could complete the exchange. I kept A/B switching for the first couple of hours but ended up staying on the loop for the duration of the night. Having the rotator I was able peak signals, eliminate local noise, and work any station I could hear with the 7600 and 100 watts. Many contacts were made all over Canada , US, and well into Mexico my best DX was PJ4T first call ~3000 miles away from my QTH. Not bad for a 100 watt station!

I can highly recommend this antenna and the support you’ll get from Larry is top notch. He’ll work with your particular situation to get the best performance from his loop.

Mark