Categories | QRP Radios (5 watts or less) | Risen RS-918SSB (Quanzhou Risen Electronics Co. Ltd) Help

Show all reviews of the Risen RS-918SSB (Quanzhou Risen Electronics Co. Ltd)

You can write your own review of the Risen RS-918SSB (Quanzhou Risen Electronics Co. Ltd).

KY5Q  Rating: 4/5 Mar 20, 2019 20:03  Send this review to a friend!
Better Than I Expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I bought this radio directly from Quanzhou Risen Electronics Co.,Ltd , the company that I believe is the manufacturer and has the brand name "Recent". When I got the unit, I was very pleasantly surprised at the appearance of the radio. I actually bought the RS-978 version with a very nice and well integrated removable battery pack. I bought 2 battery packs so that I could readily swap batteries. The AC power supply plugs into either the radio or the battery pack. You can operate while charging, or running without a battery. The unit comes with an older, but stable, boot loader and firmware. I used it while I got used to the radio. I later upgraded to a later version by getting the software from the Open Source community. I changed out the VFO encoder to a Bourns part without detents and now it feels like a real radio. I have used it sucessfully with an indoor Buddipole on 20, 40 and 80 meters on FT8. The interface to my computer is simply a USB cable. No sound card cables to fool with. The only problem that I had was a slight mechanical indentation in the case (from shipping I presume) where the case intermittently pushed against the touch screen. I contacted Larry Yang at the factory and he offered me a credit to my credit-card if I wanted to tackle the repair myself. I am a competent engineer, so naturally I agreed. He would have let me send it back, but it just costs more money and time. He sent me a PPT that clearly showed how to open the box and take it apart. That gave me an excuse to open the rig. I opened the box and took the radio apart and was pleasantly surprised at the quality and workmanship. It looked like a "real radio". The repair consisted of putting the case on a table and simply pushing the dent into the proper position. At the cost that I paid for it, I did not expect Icom style support. These guys are off-shore and support is generally handled by phone or skype. They have been responsive to me, always getting back to me overnight, every time I sent an email --- and I had a lot of questions. If you are an appliance operator (no offense), don't buy this radio. This is not a shrink wrapped radio with all the documentation and associated cost and overhead. But if you like to play with radios, poke around looking for info (it is not hard to find), don't mind installing the latest firmware as the open community comes up with new features, and don't expect service like you'd get from a large company with a big USA footprint, then this radio may be for you. The RX works great. I have only used it on digital modes. I plan to take it with me on my weekend RV camping trips and see how well I can do on CW (the internal keyer works great). I am seriously thinking of operating QRP on Field Day with it. Despite what the earlier review said, it is easy and straight-forward to disassemble. I figure that I got more than I paid for. Color me happy. It is not a "5", but I would have given at a "4.5" if I could. It is a lot better than "average", but it is not yet perfect, but it is better than a lot of the brand-name radios that I have owned over the years.