Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Kenwood TH-D74A/E Help

Show all reviews of the Kenwood TH-D74A/E

You can write your own review of the Kenwood TH-D74A/E.

WX2WMU  Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2019 16:44  Send this review to a friend!
Expensive, but Good!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the D-74 about two years ago and it still performs well. It is still an expensive tr-band HT. I really only use on the 222 MHz band now for I am reluctant to take it in the field due to the flimsy design. The battery life is great especially with the 50 Mw or half-watt setting.

The display is good, a lot of information on such a small color screen. I need my readers to see the icons. There is a lot of user settings and a menu driven setting system, really need the manual for more complex settings.

The audio quality is actually loud and crisp even on analog when outdoors. I do wish the speaker was a little bit bigger. I opted to get a Diamond Tri-Band gain antenna which works very well on distant repeaters. The D-Star is nice, but complex in setting up your local repeater.

I was hoping that a higher capacity battery would be available by now. Though the supplied one will last especially on low power settings. I would suggest this radio to my friends only if they want 222 MHz, APRS, D-Star, and a true dual band receiver.