Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | ICOM IC-7610 Help

Show all reviews of the ICOM IC-7610

You can write your own review of the ICOM IC-7610 .

KX2T  Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2019 13:40  Send this review to a friend!
One Excellent Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned the 7610 for over a year now and am still pleased with the performance of this radio even when compared to radio's cost far more. I feel the pain of the last reviewer posted here but like yourself I had an issue with the display as well, I waited till about a month before the warranty was up and sent it in, yes I wish Icom would refund the $100 to ship it to one of there service centers but the radio came back in 2 weeks time door to door with a bright, better dynamic contrast from white to deep black screen display even better than when new. This is not Icom's first problem with screens, they have in there past always had some kind of issue with one radio or another but have always found they stand behind there product plus any other company that has had some kind of screen like these radio's have all have had problems as well, if by chance they say no way they are trying to BS that fact but when you look at the sheer numbers sold Icom is about 10 to 1 in sales. Would I buy this radio again, hell yes cause at today's prices its $400 less than when I purchased mine.
Would I invest in either the Kenwood or the new Yaesu well the Kenwood maybe if the price was below $2500 cause its only one receiver, the new Yaesu looks interesting but the jury is still out on there RX section plus if the TX is not clean well lets put it this way these newer Icoms such as the 7300 and 7610 are very clean on IMD almost to a point were I really got to seriously miss tune my amp to get it to splatter. there ALC just plain works.
As far as ESSB well if I wanted great big audio I would go AM not SSB cause trying to make an SSB radio sound like AM is trying to fit 10 pounds of you know what in a 5 pound bag.
Are there slightly better RX sections well in lab numbers yes but I live in the REAL WORLD were there is lots of man made noise and the one thing this radio also excels in is noise mitigation, that Icom seems to have wrote the code or book on for more than just a few years. I don't do digital modes cause I do like to talk with people and the only other mode is good old CW in which between outstanding selectivity with better than 110db plus alternate channel selectivity, outstanding notch system plus really good APF its a dream just to listen to how this radio handles a busy band.
The only thing I have always said is they should have made the RIT knob a little larger plus given it dual function for to be used as a second VFO control kind of like Yaesu has done on some of there rigs.
The addition of being able to use HDSDR with this radio has also been really slick so if you want a Flex like display with excellent detail like the Flex rigs you can pop that up on a 32" monitor and have had it plus no extra RX or dongle is needed.
BTW this review comes from what used to be a Yaesu Fan Boy!