Categories | Ham radio kits | N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT Help

Show all reviews of the N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT

You can write your own review of the N3ZI DDS2 DDS VFO KIT.

WB0FDJ  Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2019 20:16  Send this review to a friend!
Great product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own two vintage radios, a HW-16 and a Johnson Viking Adventurer. Both chirped on most crystals. I was looking at picking up a used HG-10 or similar tube VFO. But they are going for over $100 and some of them need a lot of TLC. So for $79 I ordered Doug's newest DDS VFO.

This is a nice accessory. It went together easily enough (carefully following the step by step check outs) but the LED didn't show any activity. A couple of emails and the problem was found and fixed. My fault. Then I went to Dr Greg Latta's home page and found that he had built this same VFO and has excellent documentation on his building steps, which I followed. If you get one of these visit his webpage.

Adding a buffer amp, built Manhattan style and a step up voltage transformer allows me to drive both old rigs to the highest frequency. Two big advantages: accurate frequency readout and no chirp at all. These are now my daily drivers and I am considering getting another VFO to use with DC receiver projects. Highly recommended for quality and support.