Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Folding Hexbeam Help

Show all reviews of the Folding Hexbeam

You can write your own review of the Folding Hexbeam.

PH0NO  Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2019 13:25  Send this review to a friend!
7 years and many expeditions  Time owned: more than 12 months
After reading some of the reviews below I decided it was time to add some content to this fine review site.

Like John I am no wizard when it comes to building or setting up stuff. And like John I also find that I do not have the slightest problem to use the folding hexbeam. The first few times you have to find your way and especially the first time it might look daunting - as a folded hexbeam looks like a lot of tangled wire. But trust me, you will get the hang of it. I can confirm the 10 minutes (or even less) stated below.

Note that this hexbeam is a FOLDING antenna. That means it is not as rigid as some of the "base antennas" sold by other manufacturers. I have used it in high winds without problems but if you are looking for a hexbeam to put up for a longer period of time in a fixed location, then this might not be your best option.

It is sold as a kit and as its construction is slightly more complex than a non-folding antenna, so you might have to invest a little more time. I wrote about my experiences building this antenna on my blog (ph0no.net). With the absolutely meticulous manual I managed to put it together without any mistakes while I normally tend to race things and then have to go back and fix what I did.

What then is the benefit of this FOLDING antenna? Well.. the name sort of gives it away: it folds and unfolds - with ease, going from a small carrying bag into a 2 element 5 or 6 band beam in no time.. and back again into the bag.

This means that with this design you now have a hexbeam for (shorter) portable operations available.

For the past 7 years (6,5 to be completely honest) I have used this antenna on numerous portable occasions lasting 2h to days - parks activities, castle activities, SES, contests and multi-day dxpeditions - with nothing but joy.

The antenna takes a bit more time to set up than an end fed wire on a fiberglass pole but only a bit more. The flip side is that I can work more DX which I consider an important advantage on many of my /P activities.

If you are looking for a multiband beam in a bag - this is it. For your next SOTA operation it might be a bit heavy (especially as it requires a heftier mast) but otherwise I can recommend it for any /P operation where you want to be able to quickly deploy a beam.

Again, this is a FOLDING antenna - designed and especially useful when you use it as such.

On my blog you will find some usage tips and a lot of posts about my experiences of the hexbeam in the field. Just go to ph0no.net and look for the tips section on the left.

Note that apart from being a satisfied user I have no links to the manufacturer / seller / product.

73, Lars / PH0NO