Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MFJ-1788 Super Hi-Q Loop Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-1788 Super Hi-Q Loop

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1788 Super Hi-Q Loop.

G7IYB  Rating: 4/5 May 22, 2019 15:48  Send this review to a friend!
Needs a lot of TLC  Time owned: more than 12 months
After removing all the outer casings I was able to adjust the individual tuning fins manually as some were shorting out. The grub screw adjusting the height of the movable fins was very prone to losing its grip and needs fairly constant calibration. Just poor build quality I guess. That done, I did become aware that this antenna needs robust connections at the antenna end and the transceiver. So far, it has worked flawlessly from 15m to 40m with a reflection of less than 1.5 at either end and zero towards the middle. It is very responsive but positioning is key to getting the reflection readings I have given. Currently it is in my conservatory and on good days will happily transmit and receive around the world in its current this location. And because it is inside, I can keep a good visual inspection of the antenna. So, probably no worse than maintaining any other antenna but purchasers should be aware of its quirks.