Categories | Antenna Tuners/Matching Networks | MFJ-939 automatic antenna tuner Help

Show all reviews of the MFJ-939 automatic antenna tuner

You can write your own review of the MFJ-939 automatic antenna tuner.

AB5IE  Rating: 4/5 May 24, 2019 05:04  Send this review to a friend!
Instructions somewhat vague and operation is a little funny ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought the pre-configured "A" version with the cable for my Alinco DX-SR8, which I use for rag-chewing on 40 and 75 meters. I operate mostly QRP/weak signal using Elecraft KX-2s and Yaesu FT-817/818s ... so higher power communication not my usual quest.

The MFJ-939A actually out tunes on 75/80 meters, (with a Hustler 6-BTV as my load), my manual MFJ tuners, the LDG tuner with FT-817/818s and the internal tuner on KX-2s (which will normally tune everything from a wet rope to a nail). That is, matches with less than an SWR of 1.5:1. I can't get that close on the other tuners. There are some frequencies that are an especially peculiar load, and the tuner has to "scratch it's head" for a while ...

Main complaint is the fuzzy and "hit or miss" instructions. And, I don't like setting parameters by how long you press a button. I'd rather MFJ include some more buttons to toggle between tuner bypass, tuner on and "sticky mode", etc. ...

At only $149.00 street price, this is a good value and despite it's quirks, I'd recommend it, as it really does a good job, (usually), matching your transmitter to challenging loads.