Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Remoterig RRC-1258MkII Help

Show all reviews of the Remoterig RRC-1258MkII

You can write your own review of the Remoterig RRC-1258MkII.

K7CF  Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2011 09:27  Send this review to a friend!
Finally a Simple remote with NO COMPUTER  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got through hooking up the Remote Rig units to my TS480SAT. It took me about 4 hours to figure out what I needed to do. However, after I completed the set up, I feel confident that I could do the set up in 30 minutes from the time I open the box to where I power on the TS480SAT and tune the bands.
After opening the box, I needed to set the jumpers for the Mic. That required opening each box. The box of Control is where you have the remote head. The other box is Radio where you have the Base unit attached to an antenna.(The two black boxes are different, one is known as Control(has a CW speed knob) and the other is remote (no cw knob). I use a Carolina Windom that the 480SAT tunes all bands just fine. Set the Mic jumpers, the three JP1 - 3 jumbers, only one of the JP's is jumpered, the other two are not. I used the 6 pin cable from the 480sat head to the Remote Control box to plug into the control black box. I used the Kenwood mic that came with the 480sat and plugged it in the Control box. Added a 12 volt supply (requires a 1Amp wall wart). I plugged in a Bencher paddle in the Control box. The router cable from the broadband internet router plugs into the control box. Then, I attached a USB cable (not supplied) with the small USB connector on the black box end to my lap top which is attached to the internet either wireless or hard wired with a Cat 5 cable. I discovered that the Firmware was two levels down that was inside the black boxes from HRO. I downloaded the latest firmware from the www.remoterig.com website, followed the instructions and updated the firmware in the control box. I also selected the TS480 as the rig and changed the speed to 56K per the instructions. The Contol black box is complete.
Next the Radio black boxthe one that is connected to the TS480SAT that has the antenna plugged into. I attached the USB cable and Internet cable to the black box. I updated the firmware in the radio black box the same way as the control black box. I configured the radio to the TS480SAT in the radio black box changing the speed to 56K. I used the CAT5 cable supplied to connect the radio black box to the TS480S where the Mic cable used to go. I attached a stereo cable from the Pad (aks Keyer line) to the 480SAT keyer line. I atttached the Speaker out put of the 480SAT to the SP connector on the radio black box. The 12V DC to the black box came from the same power supply as the TS480SAT is attached to(no ground loop hum). I attached the Antenna to Ant 1 of the TS480SAT. Now, I am missing one cable that I had to make, buy at Radio Shack. A 6 line cable that is equal to the cable from the control black box to the head. The cable at radio shack was 6 pin (rj11/rj14/rj25) telephone line cord. 279-422 The cable is 25 feet long. I only needed six feet. The pin layout of the cable is reversed so it is necessary to cut the cable and attach a new 6 pin connector. 279-421 and make sure the color of the wire is the same as viewed from the top of the connector bl,yel,grn,red,blk,wh. I bought a tool to attach the plug with the wires in the correct sequence, takes a minute once I stripped the insulation from the cable. Do not have to strip any of the wires. The crimping tool attaches the 6 wires to the plug. I plugged this radio shack cable in the six pin connector that normally went to the TS480SAT head into the black box. I attached the Internet Cat 5 cable and hit the power up button at the TS480SAT head. The radio came to life, all functions worked on the TS480SAT. I tried CW and you can either use the internal keyer in the ts480sat (DEFAULT) or you can use the Key input of the built in keyer of the Control black box. I use the internal keyer in the TS480SAT.
CW seems to be working fine, but not enough to report as yet as my CW is a bit rusty. I did notice that sometimes the CW dits would continue on without me touching the key, not sure if it is a problem with my cable or the key yet.
Antenna tuner tunes the Carolina Windom on all bands and audio reports are good. I used the processor as 100 Watts can be hard to copy withou a little push.
So, the bottom line of this set up is:
NO COMPUTER ON EITHER END IS NEEDED TO GET THE TS480SAT TO FUNCTION REMOTELY.
NO BILL GATES WINDOWS LOCKUPS AND REBOOTS.
NO COMPUTER ON EITHER END IS REQUIRED ONCE THE BLACK BOXES ARE SET UP.
ALL FIRMWARE IN THE BLACK BOXES AND IF POWER IS LOST, THE FIRMWARE RESETS BACK TO NORMAL, NO LOST PROGRAM.
Possible future is adding a solid state amp and automatic antenna tuner.

I don't know if I will ever go into a nursing home or live in some stinking antenna restricted condo as I "mature". But I am sure we all know a Senior, in a nursing home that would love to get back on the air to talk to his friends. All he would need is a broadband internet connection the remote head of the TS480, a 12 V 1A wall wort, some cables, a key, and a microphone, and maybe a headset (no speaker is required as the TS480 has one built into the control head) and that is it. He could hide this set up in an end table by his bed. When he wants to operate, pull out the head, hit the power on button, put his head set on, even a Heil headset if the adapter from kenwood is purchased, and he is on the air, thanks to some ham or relative who has the remote end of the TS480SAT attached via internet to an all band antenna.
I always wanted to have a remote, but the weakest link, a computer required, always stopped me. This $500 unit solves that problem.
Highly recommened, 8 hours after hook up if you want to have some fun running remote from China to your hamshack.
This unit can also be hooked up to a TS2000 remotely then six through 440 MHZ is possible. All rigs, perhaps requiring a little more jumpering and set up are listed on the remoterig.com website.