Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : QJE PS30SWIII
Reviews: 4MSRP: 119.95
Description:
QJE PS30SWIII switching power supply provides 13.8 VDC at 20 amps continuous, 30 amps surge. The output voltage is adjustable from 9 to 15 VDC. Red and black terminals on are the rear panel (30A). The backlit panel meter may be selected to display voltage or current. There is a Noise Off-Set control that can be adjusted to eliminate pulse noise from the power supply. Ripple is less than 100mV p-p at load. Input is 110 VAC. 6.1 x 2.8 x 8.1 inches 3.3 pounds (155x70x205mm 1.5 kg).
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps/5587.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0044.8
EI5JZ Rating: 2018-03-11
Great for me Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
It does the job. Variable voltage. Nice meter with light. First birdies at 390khz and then every 30khz. No basic hiss throughout the bands. Birdies disappear at around 3900 khz. No birdies on 60 mtr down to 6 mtr bands. At 1,5 kg very light.
HB9FSI Rating: 2017-09-30
It would be great but... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Grabbed the power supply from a local store as a spare cheap power supply for my FT-891. No other store in the Zurich area had anything similar and I didn't want to wait for an online shop purchase.

Generally it's a good product and does the job without hesitation, although one could clearly hear the harmonics every 30-35 kHz on the 160m (that's annoying) and also a bit on the 80m.

The quality/price ratio is very high.
It clearly can't be compare with a 200-300 bucks good 30A power supply (industrial grade)

Fan is a bit annoying too, but this can be improve when the warranty will be expired.
ZL2AUA Rating: 2017-01-31
Great compact PSU Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had one of these for about four or five years now, and it's a good little power supply.

The Noise Offset feature is occasionally useful, and it's certainly a cheaper solution than spending a fortune trying (usually unsuccessfully) to completely eliminate the switch-mode hash. If a spurie lands on your frequency just twist the knob a fraction and it disappears!

The fan is noisy as all hell, but it should only come on if the unit overheats - despite the experience of the previous reviewer, it should NOT be on all the time. It is triggered by a cheap temperature-sensing switch , which packed a sad in my unit, such that once triggered, the fan would not shut off again. I replaced the switch with one of a slightly higher temperature rating, and fastened the aluminium plate on which the heat-generating components are mounted (in the absence of a proper heat-sink) more firmly to the steel case base, with heat grease between to help transfer the heat from the plate to the case. Then I cut a hole in the shelf below the unit and mounted below it the quietest 12v fan I could get to blow cold air over the bottom of the unit. Result - no more noisy fan.

As bought, then , it's not perfect, but with a little help it does its job without fuss. The unit now happily powers my Icom 7410 and 2700H rigs. As long as it keeps going, I'll keep it.
N8FZ Rating: 2012-04-24
Low cost and clean! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I beleive this power supply is new to the market. It's compact size and price were deal makers for me. I am only using it to power up a VHF/UHF dual bander so I do not push it too hard. It does have a fan that runs all the time that some may feel is too loud. But is not a problem for me.