Manager

Reviews: 20MSRP: 160
Description:
Powerwerx Variable 30 Amp Desktop Power Supply with Digital Meters
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.powerwerx.com/power-supplies/variable-digital-meters-30-amp-desktop-power-supply.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00203.9
KA4CID Rating: 2017-06-26
Equipment damaging voltage overshoot when switched on Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
When I saw this compact power supply with the cool digital voltage and amperage display at Ham Radio Outlet I immediately bought it. Yes, it was an impulse buy and I really did not need it inasmuch as I have several Astron's (with heavy metal inside). I especially liked that this supply had adjustable voltage output making is useful as a substitute for many of the wall-wart supplies we all have in the shack. But I became alarmed when I watched the voltage display peak over 20 volts when the supply was first switched on. I read the review from another writer here on eHam who also experienced the same potentially damaging voltage overshoot. In hopes the over-voltage was not real and just a digital display anomaly I measured the output with a peak reading Fluke 87. Yikes! Voltages in excess of 20 VDC each time the SPS-30DM supply is switched on. I guess you could be sure your DC radios are switched off before you power-up the SPS-30DM but what might be the price of one mistake? As much as I like the functionality of the supply, it's compact size, digital displays and adjustable voltage, the voltage over-shoot on initial power up scares me and I would return this unit if I could get my money back or exchange it for one that did not peak to 20+ volts at startup.
DK2EZ Rating: 2017-05-08
Danger warning !!! SPS-30DM: Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
If you switch on this power supply (current version 2016/17)), there is a peak voltage of more than 20 V shortly ... this can destroy connected device !!! The PowerWerx SS-30DV is ok.
WU4F Rating: 2017-03-25
Great product - No Issues Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have used this power supply for about 4 years and have had no problems. I've experienced no rf noise, etc people complain about when talking about power supplies coming from my unit. My power supply experience spans 35 years and have used many - this one seems to be designed very well.
KD2HQX Rating: 2016-05-17
Excellent Product Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have a three of these powering a TenTec Omni 7 ; a TenTec Jupiter and a Palstar Auto Tuner. They all have worked flawlessly for the past two years. Never a problem and voltage is stable. Digital readout is a nice feature. Units were well packaged and arrived in perfect condition all three times.
W3FRG Rating: 2016-05-17
Excellent DC Source Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have two of the SPS-30DM DC supplies and they are excellent. No hash, just good, regulated DC.
I prefer the fixed 14.2Vdc, as well as the adjustable setting. Supply meets my needs for all the radios I currently use.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by W3FRG on 2015-06-23

I sold my Astron's and bought the PowerWerx.
I wanted both the fixed and variable voltage settings plus the dual meters.
I liked the first so much, I bought a second.
Using it with a TS-590SG currently.
K6USN Rating: 2016-04-09
Meets my needs well Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I use the SPS 30DM with my K3 and it performs very well. It runs the radio to full output and is small and quiet.

I don't observe any noise generated by the switching power supply, so this is not an issue for me.

It is well made,light weight, and reliable. It goes where I go with little space required. It's a keeper.
WB7VTY Rating: 2016-04-08
Ok if you have to have a switching supply Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
The reason I gave this supply a 2 instead of a 3 is because the description of a 2 is "Needs Help", which it does. As a power supply it works as advertised and is fine, with one bug. It is NOT RF quiet. On 80 meters it generates significant annoying hash that waddles up the band. It moves with load. I haven't noticed it on other bands at this point. My noise level on 80 is generally about S3 or 5 and the noise from the Powerwerx is a little louder than that or equal to it. There are not a lot of occurrences of the noise signals across the band but they are noticeable. Its a nice size supply and doesn't seem to get particularly hot. I have it running a FT8800 that I run at full tilt when I am NCS on a 2 meter net. The 8800 draws 6 or 7 amps so thats not a big load for the supply. I have also run a FT450D on it for casual CW QSO's at 100 watts and seemed to handle that fine. So, as a supply, it works nicely if you can live with a couple of annoying noisy spots on 80 meters.
KV7AC Rating: 2015-08-08
Very robust Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This is a lot of Power Supply in a small box! Works very well, and I have not noticed any birdies or noise on HF. Puts out a full 30a on an intermittent basis (tested).

A note: I have not seen the metering issue that VE7LE describes. And, the mfr specifications state "Output Amperage: 25 continuous, 28 surge", so I don't think one can acuse "false advertising". (The 0/5 review seems a little harsh).

I would buy another one in a NY minute.

KV7AC
KQ4KK Rating: 2015-06-23
The whole clan work Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This PowerWerx supply is by far the best. Power poles, adjustable, digital meters. Have a couple of these, but also two labeled by MFJ. Open them up, they are the same inside. Also one by Jetstream. All the same. You have to expect some RF noise, but I have not had any on HF, VHF/UHF. Well built, small, and put out 30amps for a short term. Keeping my big Transformer supplies in the shack tho.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KQ4KK on 2012-10-01

I've been using this version in my Go Kit, running a D710 and a 880 at the same time. This past week I used it to power a FLEX 3000. NO RFI issues on any of the radios, freqs. Great small size. This same style PS looks like it is also sold(imported?) by MFJ and others. Some with Power Poles, some with analog meters. I also have one of the Power Pole versions. I like the meters.
KW4HR Rating: 2015-06-21
No Problems Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I had originally considered an Astron RS 35M which I have complete confidence in but this one was recommended to me by a supplier and found info to back up their claims. I've had this hooked up to a Yaesu FT 450D since it was installed in Jan. of 2015 and has not had one issue but only 6 months usage. I like the continuous readout on the front panel of voltage and amperage plus the variable output voltage 5-16 VDC. It is also 115/230 selectable input voltage. So I'm a happy camper so far. Can't say anything negative. So I'd say it is a safe bet even though the overall rating is 3.9 here and some have had issues.