Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: CHAMELEON EMCOMM II

Category: Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : CHAMELEON EMCOMM II
Reviews: 34MSRP: 125
Description:
Portable (or Base Station) HF Antenna

1.8-54 MHz

The CHA EMCOMM II Antenna has been specially designed for backup

/>
emergency HF system or permanent installation.

It is the perfect backup antenna for apartments, condominiums,
homeowners

associations, deed restrictions and CCRs (Covenants, Conditions &
/>
Restrictions), ARES, RACES, MARS, EMCOMM, NVIS, First Responders
and

especially for Emergency Preparedness.

The unit is totally waterproof. The antenna is 60’ long and covers 6M
to

160M. An external tuner is required.

The antenna will perform very well with a sloper or an inverted “V”

configuration. For a NVIS configuration (40M – 80M) the antenna must
be

installed horizontally with the ground and elevated between 9’ and 12’
high.

The CHA EMCOMM II do not required any ground- plane.

Specifications:

Frequency: 6M - 160M

Power: 500W SSB

RF Connection: PL-259

VSWR: Subject to configuration

Length: 60’

Weight: 1 Lb.

Mounting Configuration: None

The antenna system consists of:

1 X CHA EMCOMM II matching box 1 X 60’ wire

Product is in production
More Info: http://chameleonantenna.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
KD5ZAT Rating: 2019-11-07
Great Antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I purchased this antenna back in 2016. I live in an HOA and this little antenna was a perfect fit for my lot size. The antenna has exceeded my expectations.
KO8A Rating: 2018-04-07
The Absolute Best Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I am adding another interesting note to my previous review.
In spite of the terrible band conditions we are in during the sunspot cycle, I made a contact to France last night around midnight with my EMCOMMII on 40 meter CW. 100 watts and got a 579 report. AMAZING.
K3NP Rating: 2017-09-18
great antenna! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I bought one of these in March 2017 and until reccently would have rated it as a 4; It had good all around performance but SWR was a bit higher than I'd have liked on 40m and 80m--about 3.5 at the feedpoint/2.5 in the shack. Granted, I could match with a tuner but I wanted it better without one if possible. Last week I swapped it out for a heavy-duty 9:1 unun and a longer wire, but that had it's own problems and SWR actually was a lot worse. So I went back to the EMCOMM II but kept the longer wire (98.5 ft at 40 ft high, sloping, with a 50ft wire counterpoise), and now it works GREAT! SWR at the feed point is 2.5 or less on 160-6m, and in the shack, most bands are 1.5:1 with a few spots that creep up to 2:1. I emailed and discussed with Chameleon and they told me longer wires are perfectly fine to use if you have the room, and they actually sell some longer length wires for this antenna now. I do note that their antenna wire has Kevlar fiber in it, presumably for strength while remaining lightweight. I am using as a base station setup with 13ga insulated wire. The EMCOMM II matching unit is sealed and weatherproof and has withstood a Carolina summer on my roof quite well.
KM4HRR Rating: 2017-09-14
Love it! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I just now received the new EMCOMM III from Carl for testing and review. It's been up for 30 mins and WSPR @ 5W is being heard all over the world. I'll try it with WinLink tonight and SSB over the wekend and report back. So far so good. Using this antenna at 12.5' with an IC-7300 in Northern Virginia.
KB3ZLZ Rating: 2017-04-28
A Good Antenna to Have! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This Antenna is a great addition to my antennas that I Have.
It can be used as a go kit antenna or if you need a Base Station one. I have used it for both. I would recommend this Antenna to any of my Ham friends or to my County EMA Director for their Go-Box for the ACS unit. It is very easy to setup with two people but can be done with one if need be.
KG4PIC Rating: 2017-03-13
Portable or Base either way great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Great little antenna. My friend has taken it on quite a few SOTA activations with great success. He just threw it over two limbs enough off the ground where he could reach. The weight is not too heavy for SOTA hikes either. I had to pry it back from him to make it my Base antenna. I have another antenna up that cost way way more and doesn't perform nearly as good as this one does. I have it up about 8 feet off the ground and I am able to get many contacts with just 5watts from a FT-817. I highly recommend this antenna if someone is looking to get on the air at a reasonable cost and with great performance!
KW4XJ Rating: 2017-02-16
Easy to install, high quality Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This is an excellent antenna. Easy to install and I've been very happy with its performance. Very unobtrusive. I've been working digital modes and have had numerous DX contacts on this antenna. The antenna has been up since summer and it has stood up to winter weather (and a few good storms) with no problems whatsoever.
KF4AQO Rating: 2016-01-09
Great product and customer service Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I purchased this antenna to replace an antenna that had seen better days. The antenna works great. It was easy to install, it is built like a tank, and I've received great signal reports. I plan on buying another in the spring to keep in my go bag.
Regarding their customer service, I returned the antenna after about 1 month after I bought it because it wouldn't tune. They replaced the transformer and returned it without any cost to me. The transformer I returned tested out fine and they couldn't find any problems.They were very easy to work with. (The tuner was the problem by the way.)
K5ACL Rating: 2015-12-24
First DX - great antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I'm a new ham, and have had some relative difficulty living in an HOA, but recently purchased the EMCOMM II antenna from DXengineering. Finally.... after 2 months of being licensed as a General, I got my first DX! From South Padre Island, TX to Sweden! Not to mention that conditions have been less than stellar last few days. As suggested by the instructions, I hooked up a 60' piece of ground wire to the transformer, and placed the EMCOMM II in a sloper configuration, using 100w, reception with this antenna was amazing! Construction is amazing, transformer already survived a 6 foot fall to concrete without a scratch!

Definitely recommend this antenna, the only thing I might change would be the mounting options. I may very well use this antenna at home for a base station antenna, but mounting it seems a bit odd, unless your hanging it from something.
K7VLX Rating: 2015-12-14
Easy up for a new ham. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I'm a retired broadcast contract tech, but a relatively new ham, just now getting on the air.

I was looking for an easy 'up', broadband antenna that works well to pair with a FlexRadio Flex-1500 QRP rig and LDG Z-100+ autotuner. I read the reviews here and elsewhere and settled on this entry-level SDR and well-regarded antenna as a combo to get my feet wet.

The EMCOMMII went up in about an hour as an inverted L working with the feedpoint just above a metal roof, with a length of PVC for the vertical section, an old DirecTV dish mount to get it in the air, and a tree at the far end. The horizontal section is at about 25'. I was impressed with the ease of deployment, and Chameleon's build quality.

Early experience with this antenna is that it's effective: quieter on receive than either the 65' sloping wire or the short vertical antenna I've been using for SWL, and first contacts indicate I'm getting out very well.

I planned an introduction to HF and the hobby that would be easy and have great returns, and the EMCOMMII delivers.