Manager

More Info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
11344.3
KH6TA Rating: 2013-10-04
Easy to program & use! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This review is on the UV-B5 & UV-82L

A vast improvement over the UV-5/UV-5RA's, Tx audio is great, nice design and really easy to program.

Looks good Tx/Rx on the spectrum analyzer also! Pretty hard to beat for $45 shipped. My xyl took it and loves it!

I really like the new UV-82L, bigger profile, nicer TTP buttons, aluminum case, improved design & features over the B5/6, bought 2 of them!

I used to diss these radios, but they seem to keep getting better all the time.

N8PMG Rating: 2013-09-20
Good value! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
My version is actually the B5. Within five minutes of unpacking I had my local repeaters programmed without opening the manual. I am not sure why N0CSW says it is not for beginners, because I have had several Chinese radios back to the JingTong, and this is by far the easiest to understand. The manual is also better than my previous experiences but does have room for improvement. Receive audio is much better than previous radios, and construction is at the very least decent. Time will prove the durability, but for the price of a battery of a major brand I can get a whole new radio and accessories.
KK4HEP Rating: 2013-09-15
Great LITTLE radio... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I just received my UV-B5 two days ago. First impressions are pretty good. The reciever IS much better. I no longer have to listen to the horrible tones/static that the local NWS stations caused in my 5R. On the transmit side, performance seems equally impressive. Output power was measured at 2w on low and 5.5w on high. I can work my base station in all, but the most difficult fringe areas. I have also been able to work repeaters out to around 35 miles under average propagation. This is about equal in performance to my 5R equiped with a diamond SRJ77CA 1/4 wave w/ rattail counterpoise. Pretty impressive for the stock antenna. About the only thing I wished were different would be the size. The B5 is about the same size as a stock 5R. This is just a little too small for my hand. On the 5R, this could be remedied by installing the larger battery pack. This might not be as easily fixed on the B5. The battery release latch is located on the bottom of the radio, making hard/impossible to make a larger/longer battery. Also, i've noticed that the SMA female antenna jack is not as sturdy as the one on the 5R. Mine was actually crooked apon arrival. I had to use needle nose pliars to straighten it out before installing the antenna. This should'nt be a problem unless you have butter fingers and like playing hockey with your transceiver.. All in all, I think this radio is a great improvement over the 5R models. With a price tag around $50 shipped, you just can't go wrong. If not for the battery release mechanism and antenna jack, this radio would be a healthy 5 in my book.... just my 2 cents.

KK4HEP
WA7KGX Rating: 2013-09-10
UV-B5 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Fry's has a "BNC Female to SMA Female" adapter RFA-8381P for $2.95.

Cross mod is noticeably better than on the UV5r+Plus. Connected to my external 144/440 vertical, the Goat Mountain repeater is noise free. There is a hiss on the UV5r+Plus.

The CHIRP "daily build" supports this radio under Linux. Those using 64 bit Win7 need a working driver which apparently does not exist.

Clearly ham radio is an afterthought on this device. It cheerfully outputs 4 watts on the NOAA weather frequency, as much as it does on two meters.

It would be nice if the display could be set to show both name and frequency in use. More characters are needed too.

N0QWV Rating: 2013-09-01
UV-B5 Version!!! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Like everyone else... I love the rotary selector knob! I have no need for another radio with an LED light.
Intermod rejection of the UV-B5 is much better than the UV-5R+! I do like how it feels in the hand as well. I just wish it had the full scan function that the UV-5R+ has. I own several different Beofengs and like each of them. One sits on my desk at work all day. Gotta love the battery power over the Big Three!!!
If you haven't purchased even one, but always wondered how they are??? You won't be disappointed at this price point!!!

73!!!
W4ZWA Rating: 2013-08-15
Great Radio for the price Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
So far I haven't found anything I dislike about the radio (UV-B5). Bought the radio off ebay for around $50.00 shipped to me. I have owned the UV-3, UV-5R, UV-5RA, and the UV-5R+). So far this is my favorite. Biggest addition for me was the channel selector knob on the B5. I prefer that over the button selection on the front. Radio was easy to program using CHIRP software. So far so good.
VE2DIY Rating: 2013-08-10
Excellent little radio Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I first got a uv-5r but didn't really liked it. My ft-60r does a far better job specially on vhf intermod rejection and audio quality (receiving and transmitting). After reading about the uv-b5 and uv-b6 I ordered the b5 for 36$ delivered.

The uv-b5 is much better for me than the uv-5r. The receiver is way better in vhf in urban area, the rotary encoder on top is more useful than a led light can be and the radio can be programmed on the go easily including memory tagging.

The audio output doesn't match my early ft-60r but still I can use it in noisy environment where the poor uv-5r couldn't. Audio report tell me the microphone does a better job too and holding the b5 is more comfortable than the square sharp shape of the 5r.

I bring it everywhere with me, throw it on the motorcycle luggage or under the car seat and without the clip it fit nicely in a jeans pocket.

I'm amazed of how much radio you can get for 36$ including a desktop charger, lithium battery that last for ever, and a very good stock antenna (tested on an antenna analyzer). I also got a small mic and longer antenna for 11$ more. The overall price of the kit is around the price of a big 3 manufacturer battery.

The only I miss from my other radio is the back lightning when receiving signal. I care less about than not been able to listen to someone because the receiver is overloaded with intermod.

The radio is 4/5 but the price of the unit bring it to 5/5 for me.
N0CSW Rating: 2013-07-28
Crazy Ham buys UV-B6 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This radio is *Not* for the beginner, but a good radio if you have been in the hobby for a while and can live with some annoying factors.

RDA-1846 based radios suck, this one does not suck as bad as most, 2/5 if you are nuts enough to buy one, its an adventure!

If you just need a cheap radio, and don't care then this is your radio; WYPFIWYG - What you pay for is what you get! Spend the extra $10 on a nicer radio...trust me, you'll appreciate it much more and, if you are a new ham it just might make your experience good enough for you to pursue more of the hobby.

The Baofeng UV-5R is a much better radio.
HANDYRADIO Rating: 2013-06-25
What else can you buy for £30? Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I couldn't find a UVB5 specific review so just put it under the B6 category. They are more or less the same, i.e. same power output, same frequency range, same body except the VFO knob is only available on the B5 and the flash light only comes with the B6.

Although there are 99 memories channels compared to the 128 on the Baofeng UV5R I find it to be plenty. The quality is good and the audio is also 5/5.

Please check out my video on the Baofeng UVB5 and there is a comparison video of the UVB5 and Wouxun KG UV6D which is 3 times more expensive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw5tsgbFUNo

Well done to Baofeng!
VE5EDE Rating: 2013-04-20
UV-B5....Just Getting Better & Better Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This is a review for new the dual-band Baofeng UV-B5 handheld transceiver only in production for a few weeks. (This site did not allow me to start a new category.) It cost me $42.87 from radio-buy.com on e-Bay and included the USB programming cable and a 110v adapter. This would be a pretty darn good price if it was a mediocre radio, but it is anything but mediocre. It scans, searches, has 99 memories and dual-priority watch.

The audio is the most notable improvement. The receiver audio is much louder, more substantial, noise-free and realistic than its predecessors. The receiver has much greater intermod resistance than my Alinco DJ-G5, RS HTX-202, IC-2AT and IC-2000.

There is one mile I travel every day where I pass by a Canadian National Railroad telemetry station I call "Intermod Alley". There are two full-time transmitters and two part-time transmitters on one tower (along with local public service) in the 152mHz to 169 mHz range that will keep just about any radio crackling the whole mile of that road. The Baofeng just kerchunked once very briefly. Urban hams will appreciate this!

The appearance of the radio is much more bulbous (Japanese) than the earlier boxy radios. It is also a bit heavier and is well-built. There is nothing cheap-feeling about this radio. It has, without doubt, the sturdiest belt-clip of any radio I've ever seen. You're not going to lose this radio! There is also a COM (compander) setting with allows the option of a little more punch to the modulation. This radio has full alpha-numeric capabilities. It will not function as a cross-band repeater.

One option will appeal to visually impaired hams (or old guys like me)...every button pressed is announced through the loudspeaker. Alas, while the user manual is conjugated correctly, the sentences are still translated syntactically. Nevertheless, the average ham will figure it out. After all, "Real Hams don't need instruction manuals...."

Signal reports from other hams say this radio sounds just as good or better than any other out there. Each step forward Baofeng takes seems to be a large improvement. This radio makes them a first-rate contender in Amateur Radio. To be completely outfitted for $42.87 is a dream come true. Retired, handicapped or fixed-income hams cannot go wrong with this radio. Everyone gets more than their money's worth on the UV-B5.