Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: WonderWand WonderLoop

Category: Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : WonderWand WonderLoop
Reviews: 6MSRP: 138
Description:
Compact qrp portable loop perfect for attaching direct to your ft-817 or qrp transceiver for an easy to use, instant portable hf antenna solution
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.wonder-wand.co.uk
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
0064.5
AB9TX Rating: 2017-03-01
Portable Plus Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
So I was looking for a portable HF antenna to take with my KX3 and not scare or trip anybody- and I found this WonderWand WonderLoop-- 40 to 10m version. It is what it is- a small portable loop, not sure if it is a "magnetic" loop because there is no external coupling capacitor- so with some testing and listening, running WSPR, CW, RTTY I have found that it works, not very efficient several DB lower than even an end fed wire-but... for making contacts while QRP portable it is fun- on WSPR on 20 meters while testing I even made it to Europe, I was heard using 1 watt. You can roll this up and stuff it in your pocket.
Tuning is very narrow and takes a steady hand.

It is worth just even to experiment with. Please see my short receive demo in my (basement):

73 and thanks for looking
2E0TPZ Rating: 2016-10-12
Amazing antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I purchased the 14Mhz version of this Loop, my first ever Loop antenna. Plugged it into my Elecraft K1, in a ground floor apartment - and had absolutely no shortage of contacts to respond to. I was blown away. I was on 20m during mid-afternoon here in the UK.

Very nicely made, well presented in its packaging, I was so impressed I have since ordered the 40m WonderLoop version as well.

Very, very pleased. Cannot recommend this antenna enough.
G7IDJ Rating: 2015-04-05
Amazingly Simple and Good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Having experimented with loops I went for the Wonderloop 14Mhz to 50MHz. Loops are magic and mysterious and something for the experimenter.
I use it in conjunction with the FT 817.
Ideal for portable operation. Little space required, compact and it works.
Compared to other portable antennas the noise margin is down by a lot. I actually do get contacts on 5 Watts consistently.
The wire which comes with the wonderloop for the self supporting loop is very sturdy and good for the job.
The tuning button is easy to reach and use.
A pity is that the maximum rating is only for 10Watts. I would have loved to go up to 25W or even more to allow a bit more flexibility.

Obviously it hasn't got the same performance as full dipole or a bigger loop but it works.

For what it is I would give it a 5 out of 5!

PD9W Rating: 2013-12-19
IT WORKS! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just received my purchased WonderLoop today. Hooked it directly on my Elecraft K1 (5W) and after several attemps I succeeded in making qso with 9A282N (special call) in Croatia. Time: 15:29 UTC. About 1174 km from my qth. WonderLoop used INDOOR!

PD9W
ON4RUB Rating: 2013-11-01
Real little wonder Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Easy tuning from 20m to 6m, easy setup, very small, low noise level, just great.

I just love this little antenna, i use it mainly for digimodes and get great reports with it. It even works great indoor.

Fast and great communication with Carl thru email.
This one is a keeper for me
M0SAZ Rating: 2013-05-23
So far excellent Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have been pestering Carl the owner of Wonderwand antennas to commercially produce his protoype loop for some time on the Wonderwand reflector and this year my wish came true!

I ordered one as soon as I could and have so far been impressed and I haven't even used it outside yet. Yesterday I worked S503EO on just 10w from inside the shack.

Being a magnetic loop, the noise floor is low, tuning is not so affected by nearby objects and there is some directional properties to the antenna.

Tuning is very precise due to the high Q of the antenna so a slow, steady hand is needed to get the SWR for a particular frequency down to 1:1 - 1:1.5 typically. When you move more than a few KHz from a tuned frequency, another adjustment is necessary.

There are some who might say the product can be built at home for less which you could say about anything but this looks really good and all the testing has been done so you can just attach it to your radio and start operating.

The loop wire is flexible but retains its shape so you can roll it up and put it in your pocket for a very rapid deployment. I spoke to Carl on the WonderWand reflector who said using a longer loop wire will give you different frequency coverage to the 20m-6m the supplied wire provides.

So far very happy. I have posted some videos on YouTube and will continue to do so when I do something interesting with the neat little antenna. I have used a magmount base and a right angled PL259 connector to make it KX3 friendly - again from advice given on the reflector.