Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Baofeng/Pofung UV-82
Reviews: 59MSRP: 49.95 retail from several deale
Description:
Inexpensive Part 90 approved dual band HT from Baofeng / China.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.baofengradio.com/en/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00594.2
K6PPT Rating: 2018-12-16
Not too bad Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I’ve been skeptical of many things. I do regret not ordering this radio sooner. The duel push to talk is very handy, and I always put the primary repeater on the lower one of course. One thing needs to be pointed out. The two screws that hold the belt clip on the back do not come with any lockwashers. After a couple of hikes, One of the screws had backed out almost falling. Didn’t have the correct size lock washer so I used a dab of silicone rubber Sealant on the tip of the screw. (Do not use Loctite) It’s staying right on there no problem now. Also on the RF connector keep an eye on the spanner nut. Brand new out-of-the-box one of those were completely loose under the antenna. I have two of these radios, and the other one was fine. Other than that, you get what you pay for obviously. I would purchase another one tomorrow if I need it.
So don’t be a procrastinator like I was, and order one for yourself today.
PAUL TRETIAKOFF in Tucson, Arizona
KW2B Rating: 2017-11-17
UV-82HP - just ok Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Bought a UV-82HP through an authorized online retailer about a year ago.

Pluses: Inexpensive so if I lose or break it it's not a great loss. 8W tx. Standard features for a dual band HT. Will rx FM broadcasts ok. With CHIRP & the right cable it's easy to program. The manual is fairly well done. The rocker tx switch for 2 channel use is convenient. It's light and compact. The white LED is handy.

Negatives: Can't configure the LCD backlight to stay off - if you tx, it lights up and that's just the way it is. The earbud / mini-mic is junk - maybe it's just me but this design never fits or stays on/in my ear. After only a few uses the mic/spkr jacks failed which resulted in no tx with or without the ear/mic plugged in. So I got to experience their rude US support, but I did get a replacement in fairly short order once I confirmed where to send the failed HT for repair/replacement. Tx range even with an upgraded Nagoya antenna is not what I expected from an 8w HT. For reference, I have two sub-watt Alinco HTs that have similar range even without upgraded antennas. The worst thing is that I and others have received rf bites off one of the battery terminals when tx-ing - has happened on numerous occasions on both the original and replacement HT. The original battery needed some shaving in key locations & the electrical contacts of the battery & the charging dock needed some sandpaper to get the thing to fit into the dock properly and charge reliably.

Summary: It's inexpensive and you get what you pay for. Even at this price I would not buy another, I just can't trust it to last or perform when I might need it most.
WA7SGS Rating: 2017-03-05
Good antenna makes all the difference! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The stock antenna is not a very good one. I went with the RH-660S and it turned this HT into a decent performer.

How I rate my HT's:

ICOM V-80 with an RH-660S scores a 10.
ICOM V-80 with stock rubber duck scores a 9.
UV-82 with RH-660S scores an 8.
UV-82 with stock antenna scores a 6.

I discovered this telescopic antenna on the miklor website. It was the best one by far according to them. They were right!

Accessories: Tha handmike is junk. There is no AA battery pack available. At least a cigarette lighter adapter that replaces the rechargeable battery can be had.

Programming: I can manually program this HT but that is akin to mating elephants and herding cats...LOL! Get the cable and do it the easy way.

Bang for the buck, the Baofeng UV-82 delivers!

Rick
KD8VMR Rating: 2017-03-05
great little ht Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I currently own 2 UV 82 models. These are a great radio for the price. I also have 4 uv5r. I highly recommend the 82. Its is more rugged than the 5r. These are great. Audio performance is pretty good also.
W9JTC Rating: 2016-10-21
Very Nice Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
These are awesome little inexpensive radios. They can do so much more than 2 meter and 70 CM. You can also use them on FRMS and GMRS and monitor weather. You won't feel bad if you drop and break one at $29 dollars. Use Chirp and the Baofeng USB programming cable and it is real easy to program.
KM4HIL Rating: 2016-09-15
Great radio for <$30 on Amazon Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Great radio. It only does 5W unlike the newer HP running 8W. However you can find it for <$30 on Amazon. Using Chirp to freely program your radio you have a great low cost setup perfect for teaching new hams and boyscouts.
K7HZN Rating: 2016-09-11
A freebie update Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Less than a month after receiving this radio, it developed a problem.

Memory will no longer store the offset direction. If I enter the info in frequency mode, it will transmit and receive just fine but if I shift to channel mode and call up the frequency, every thing is there except that one important bit of info.

Makes the radio of limited use.
WK3P Rating: 2016-06-29
For the price great radio Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I like that the transmit switch rocks up or down.
You can monitor two freq push up and talk on one or down to talk the other.
K4IA Rating: 2016-06-15
CHIRP secret Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I'll give it a 5. It is a 5 watt dual band HT. What more do you expect or want?

If you have trouble with CHIRP, try this. There are many different versions of the firmware in the radio. The trick is to use CHIRP to download the radio contents onto the computer. This produces a spreadsheet. Copy and paste the data from your spreadsheet over it erasing what you downloaded. Then upload the result to the radio. That assures the compatible firmware goes back on the radio.
WB9CUX Rating: 2016-06-14
SMA to BNC antenna adapter note Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have had this radio for about 2 weeks and haven't usd it much yet mainly because I couldn't find a decent Sma to Bnc Adapter. I tried a few like DHT and they fit fine but after close inspection of the radio antenna connector, I noticed scratches in the gold coating on the radio center pin. I think I have found the right combination now. I ordered an EXPERT POWER adapter on Amazon Prime and after inspecting the pin again, no damage was noted on the center pin. To stop the adapter from turning when disconnecting the BNC cable I bought a #9 O-ring from ACE Hardware and put it under the adapter. This worked great and I think it will work for you. WB9CUX.