Manager

AVVid

322 VZ County Rd 2714

Mabank, TX 75147

Phone: 214-850-0973

The phone is a cell phone and cantankerous. If no answer leave
a message
and I'll
return the
call.

Working on Kenwood equipment only. No warranty work.

Best contact is via e-mail, I check it several times a day.

---------------------------

NOTE:

2 Feb 2019

After 38 years of repairing amateur radio equipment and being over
70 years old
the
fire has about gone out. My wife and I have decided to take an
extended
sabbatical and
see some of this great country of ours.

To this end we will not accept repairs after February 15, 2019.
All radios received before that date will be repaired and returned to
the owners. The 30 day warranty will remain in effect.

We have both enjoyed what we have been doing and have the best
customers in
the
world.
I will continue to provide help via the internet and limited phone help
during our
extended sabbatical.

This fall we will re-evaluate and determine the next step.
I appreciate your understanding.

Clif Holland KA5IPF

Product is not in production
More Info: http://www.avvid.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
002274.9
W0MN Rating: 2018-02-15
TS870S fixed as stated Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I exchanged emails about symptoms and I guess I described it well and he made a very good guess about the problem and the likelihood that it could be repaired. He also gave a realistic estimate of backlog. It turned out to be nearly exact.

I had intermittent output after about 30 seconds. He fixed it with only about 1.75 hours bench time. His $50/HR bench rate is about half of others and I think he is a better technician. He also communicates with customers in a VERY timely manner.

I got a new TS590SG and I think the only gain is more functions, but I think the TS870 would hear about anything the TS590SG can hear and it has 150 W rather than 100 for output. I really like the added features of the 590 and the chance to try 6M so now my problem is what to do with the 570. I really do not need 2 radios but of course a backi-up is nice. I do need new antennas so maybe trade or sale of the 870 is the answer.

If I were to make any complaint about AAvid it would be that I fail to understand the refusal to accept any type of electronic payments like Pay Pal. I think many would be happy to pay the fees for faster turnaround. On the other hand, it is going to be a 4-6 week wait anyway so the extra 3-7 days for payments does not really add that much.

STAY IN Business BECAUSE MANY KENWOOOD REPAIRS ARE NOT DONE THAT WELL OR THAT CHEAPLY.
W4AMP Rating: 2017-11-29
Best Kenwood man! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Great tech, waited on me to get an obsolete part online so he could do the repair. He actually cares about his customers and does quality work in a timely matter. Best Kenwood man period and at a realistic price.
WA1RKT Rating: 2017-10-01
Can't ask for better Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have a TS-950SDX that had some receive and transmit freq stability problems and a few other issues. Clif returned the radio to as-new condition AND checked out some spare boards I had, all with his well-known expert workmanship and at an exceptionally reasonable price. Clif, do us Kenwood owners a favor and don't ever retire! Thanks...
KG9H Rating: 2017-09-28
Excellent Service Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I typically repair my own equipment but a TS-570 I picked up had my head spinning.
After I had "too much time into it", I sent it to Clif.
Cliff confirmed the problem and using a pair board I got the 570 back and working.
Excellent job, thanks Clif!

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KG9H on 2011-09-30

I like to trade a lot and just got a TS-50 in on trade. I also received a note on the service "just performed" by Cliff. Amazing work, he "replaced the microprocessor!!!" as well as fixed a few issues that are known to happen in a TS-50. Last he replaced the notorious battery for an extremely reasonable price. Hats off to Cliff and others that keep our radios alive. Based off this Invoice, I would have no issues recommending him to anyone that needs service. When and if.. I ever need service, certainly.. I would recommend him. Frank KG9H
NP3ST Rating: 2017-09-09
EXECENT,PROFESSIONAL SERVICE Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
HAVE A 480,OF A FRIEND,SENT TO A KENWOOOD CENTER FOR SPECIFIC PROBLEM,CAME BACK NOT REPAIR,BUT ALSO WITH ANOTHER ISSUE. I RECOMMENDED AVVID TO MY FRIEND,AND I SENT IT IN FOR HIM. TOOK SOME TIME,BUT WORTH IT,CAME BACK AS NEW..ELECTRICALLY!! MY FRIEND IS HAPPY CAMPER NOW,GOOD COMMUNICATION,AND LOW COST INCLUDING SHIPPING,WILL RECOMMEND AVVID TO ANY KENWOOD OWNER.THANKS AVVID!!
K9LDO Rating: 2017-08-13
Excellent Service Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I had a Kenwood TS-440S I wanted to be checked over after non-use of 20 years. I chose to drive to Clif's instead of mailing and am glad I did. Clif is someone that is a pleasure to meet and talk with. Plus he went over the Kenwood while I waited. He also sold me the caps I needed to repair a Kenwood TS 820 I had that was my fathers. I would drive to Clif's if I ever need another Kenwood repaired and highly recommend him to all.
WD2B Rating: 2017-06-30
Kenwood TS50 repair Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Cliff is an amazing technician. He not only repaired my bad TS50 but did preventive maintenance as well by replacing many parts and capacitors that hadn't failed but were likely to fail, aligned it and did it all in only a few weeks. Even before the repair job he explained how I could fix it myself however I wasn't experienced with SMD parts so elected to have him do it. The repair costs were very reasonable as well. It now works better than when it was new. You won't find a better Kenwood repair tech anywhere. I can't recommend him highly enough.
KY4TS Rating: 2017-06-13
Clif Knows his stuff! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
When the 220 module in my TM-742 quit working, I was at my wits end trying to track down the problem. Another ham told me to check Clif out. Sure glad I did. After a couple emails, I sent the 742 on it's way to Texas. Within a very reasonable amount of time, Clif emailed his diagnosis and estimate on how much it would cost. His rates are very reasonable and his turn around time is excellent. He even included a print out of his diagnostic test from his service monitor. The old Kenwood is now back in the car and working just fine. Thanks Clif!
KI5LU Rating: 2017-04-11
Cliff is truly a gift to the Kenwood amateur community Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Another reviewer said "Cliff is truly a gift to the Kenwood amateur community"

His thorough diagnosticc and price pleasing work on my TS940S showed that the reviewer had it right.

I drove 200 miles to deliver the heavy 940s since i don't trust the shippers. Meeting Clif in person made that travel investment even more worthwhile. (If you travel, remember that that the VZ means he is just across the Van Zandt county line.

KD2WO Rating: 2016-12-22
Cliff, went out of his way to help me out with my dilemma. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I wanted to post a question on my Kenwood TS-850S to inquire if the filters I had were the correct ones. However, for whatever reason it was, each time after logging in I found I couldn't post. I had my radio sitting upside down with the bottom cover off awaiting the installation. I finally found AVVid and looked over their site and decided I'd drop Cliff an email to get my question concerning the filters answered, before installing them. Much to my surprise, Cliff emailed me back within a couple of hours, telling me to just go ahead and install all three as they were the exact filters for the radio.

It doesn't get any better than that. Thanks Cliff!

KD2WO