Manager

AVVid

322 VZ County Rd 2714

Mabank, TX 75147

Phone: 214-850-0973

The phone is a cell phone and cantankerous. If no answer leave
a message
and I'll
return the
call.

Working on Kenwood equipment only. No warranty work.

Best contact is via e-mail, I check it several times a day.

---------------------------

NOTE:

2 Feb 2019

After 38 years of repairing amateur radio equipment and being over
70 years old
the
fire has about gone out. My wife and I have decided to take an
extended
sabbatical and
see some of this great country of ours.

To this end we will not accept repairs after February 15, 2019.
All radios received before that date will be repaired and returned to
the owners. The 30 day warranty will remain in effect.

We have both enjoyed what we have been doing and have the best
customers in
the
world.
I will continue to provide help via the internet and limited phone help
during our
extended sabbatical.

This fall we will re-evaluate and determine the next step.
I appreciate your understanding.

Clif Holland KA5IPF

Product is not in production
More Info: http://www.avvid.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
002274.9
WA0VYB Rating: 2012-02-19
TS-430S Great! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I was not a member of this service, but joined just so I could put in this review. Clif did a great and thorough job on my TS-430S. If I ever need any more service on my Kenwood rigs, they are going straight to him. This is the man. What more can I say?
KD4TGM Rating: 2012-01-18
Excellent communications and service!! Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Clif is honest, reliable, responds fast to emails, really knows his stuff and is reasonable.... Need more be said?
After reading some of the previous reviews I though who better to trust my long in the tooth TS-940S to. He has help me to put this fine piece of Kenwood history back on the air for hopefully another 25 years. Thanks to a job well done!!
WB8HWO Rating: 2012-01-04
Most Professional Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Sent my 940SAT to Clif in April last year. Today a different problem put the radio out of service. I contacted Clif to ask about shipping it back. Clif ask me to do some specific checks advised what action to take and resolved the problem via e-mail. I don't know of any other repair service that equals that level of service excellence after the sale. Clif is genuinely interested in the hobby and his fellow hams not to mention eminently qualified in the Kenwood line.
N5IZ Rating: 2011-12-12
ts480sat repair Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
i sent my ts 480sat to cliff and he repaired it in due time and did a great job.at a reasonable price..great job.thanks cliff..73 ray n5iz
N9BTU Rating: 2011-12-02
Spot-on repair-Fast turn-a-round Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
As far as Clif's work goes, he is the best when it comes to Kenwoods. Shipped my 940 to him where it appeared to be stuck in the transmit mode all the time. Cliff said his turn-a-round time was about 3-4 days and he was actually faster than that. Got radio back fully aligned and as good as new.

Now, for Clif's attitude and communication....he is a little lacking in this department which I can offset by the speed, quality, and price of his repairs. However, when I thought I had a problem-which actually turned-out to be an incredibly high noise level due to a neon light in the shack and not his repair, he was a little indignant that I would even question his repair. Granted, he was right and you have to admire a man who is so confident in his work that he defends his work sight unseen,but a lot could happen in shipping that while not negating his work, could make you "both right". I wasn't, but he was not particularly anxious to believe me and take another look at the radio.

Like I said, it all turned out well and his repair was perfect. I guess when you have been delighting hams for as long as Clif has, you can be a little crabby and a tad "rightious"! I am grateful that we have a Clif still doing this kinda work and doing it well.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by N9BTU on 2007-01-06

After posting three times for Elmer help with my TS-940S acquired from the wife of an SK and it's intermittent receive and transmit, and trying every mod I could get my hands on, I finally got recommended to Clif by another well-known Kenwood Guru who was moving his shop and temporarily out-of-business. Clif responded via email very professionally and diagnosed my problem to the "tee". He offerred to take my radio in and turn it around quickly, but said that if I would follow his advice, I might save shipping a heavy rig a long distance. He nailed the problem first try and got me going. I had tried repeatedly to fix it myself to no avail.
When it comes to Kenwoods, especially after what I have heard about factory service, I would not hesitate to use Clif. His repair included and upgrade and I now once again am in love with this oldie but goodie 940S. I can only wonder if the geniuses attracted to the hobby by the no-code requirement will have Clif's skills.. I guess we will see! Clif is excellent-nuff said.

Bill N9BTU
N5XJT Rating: 2011-10-22
Great service at a fair price Time Owned: more than 12 months.
It's getting hard to find a qualified technician to repair the older Kenwood hybrids and when my TS-530 went lame recently it was a "no brainer" to send it to Clif. As usual (this is my third time to use AVVid since '96) the rig was ready when promised and the price to repair the bandswitch, NAR switch and to align was more than fair. In addition Clif provided some good tips to keep the rig going. Can't ask for more!
KB6HPD Rating: 2011-08-30
Great Service! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Clif serviced my Kenwood and had it back to me with in 10 days. Fair pricing and excellent work.

Thanks Clif!!
N4KC Rating: 2011-08-25
Didn't fix it, but... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
So, after a vicious thunderstorm, my beloved TS-2000 would not power up. I pulled it apart and did all I knew to do, but I could not fix it. Based on reviews here, I contacted Clif. He suggested a couple of things to try first but finally emailed, "Guess it has to come in."

My only complaint was I received no confirmation that he got the radio (my FedEx tracking let me know, though), nor any idea of how long it would take to look at it. When I emailed Clif a week later and asked, he tersely told me "two to three weeks until it comes around, just like everybody else."

Sure enough, two and a half weeks later, he let me know the control board was gone, almost certainly a victim of a lightning surge. He gave me an estimate for replacing it, but reminded me--as I knew--that lightning-damaged radios could have other problems that he would not see until he replaced the control board and did a full alignment. And other parts could be weakened and might go later. I can only imagine how many folks get a working radio back from repair and then blame Clif when it dies two weeks or two months later.

When I told him I was filing an insurance claim (with ARRL Hays Affinity -- review elsewhere) he offered to do a full written diagnosis, including the explanation about lingering problems.

All in all, Clif did a good job as far as I can tell of diagnosis. Once the main problem was identified, he communicated well, too, and was honest and clear in what he told me. Though he ended up not fixing my radio (we junked it), I would certainly use him again...with the Kenwood TS-590S I am going to buy with the replacement insurance money...but I hope I never have to. Follow the clear instructions on the Avvid web site and you should have as good an experience as possible under such circumstances.

Don N4KC
www.n4kc.com
www.donkeith.com
KE5DFK Rating: 2011-06-22
Great Work Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I give AVVID a 5, found and repaired the problem at a reasonable cost in a timely manner.

I sent Cliff a Kenwood D700 that was no longer receiving on 2m. Another tech had already looked at it and could not find the problem. Cliff found and repair the problem, an internal break inside the multilayer-ed board. His repair was performed in a timely manner at a VERY REASONABLE cost. I met Cliff at the Belton, TX swap meet and found both Cliff and his wife to be very nice and informative people. I would not hesitate one bit sending any kenwood gear to Cliff.
K4NCT Rating: 2011-04-29
Great Kenwood Amateur Service Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I shipped my TS-940S Kenwood to Clif for a full alignment and transmit issue that i had with my rig and received it back in like new condition,performing as good as it did when i bought it new back in 1990.Clif is a super guy to do business with and very knowledgable on Kenwood gear.Very pleased with the work on my gear and very pleased with the quick turnaround time as well.I highly recommend Avvid for all Kenwood repairs.Give Clif a try if you want quality repairs on your Kenwood Amateur Gear,you will be glad you did.