Manager

(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
54.41694
N8FVJ Rating: 2018-01-16
Ok Transceiver Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Just got this transceiver today. The special price of $1209 shipping included was low enough to sell off my FT-847. I only plan to use this radio for 2 meter & 430mhz long haul SSB.
I suspect it is as good as the FT-847 on higher bands. Noise reduction is superior, but with the digital artifacts unlike the FT-847 that has limited performance anyways.

I find the HF receiver much better than the FT-847. I also compared the FT-991A to the Kenwood TS-590SG. I prefer the TS-590SG on HF for general listening vs the digital artifact FT-991A audio. However, I can actually hear a little better at times on the FT-991A.

I believe it is the best bargain for a HF/VHF/UHF transceiver on the market. The Kenwood TS-2000 is dated, although I never heard one. I did read the FT-847 heard better on 2 meters & 430mHz. The ICOM IC-7100 that costs less than the FT-991A just has odd ergonomics.

So, if you want a FT-991A, get it before end of January 2018 as the price will go up $200 when the instant coupon expires.
OE5NIP Rating: 2018-01-05
Great my FT-991 not A Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Hi Again!

I am happy with my Yeasu.

After last firmware the reveive is better.

The Transceiver is like a small tank.

I have seen a Test with the Transceiver vom I....

A Real Test and I am happy to take the Yeasu.

Firmwareupdate is ok.

I have made a lot of mistakes with switching Antenna an no problem.

It make a lot of fun to have qso and the say what a Strong Signal with only 100 Watt on 20 Meter and the Cobwebb Antenna very nice....

I thinking about to buy a second one for my car ....

73+55 de OE5NIP
PD0DDE Rating: 2017-11-28
Receiving mirrors on 2 meter Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Hello radiofriends, i have some problem with the 991A.
I own this radio from february this year.
When i receive a signal above S7-8 on 2m FM for example 145.275 i receive this signal also on 145.370 with a lesser strenght. This is not ok. This problem i notice also on other frequencies on 2m.
Using a second transceiver on very low power for making carrier on different frequencies.

I tested some frequencies but problem is on the whole 2 meterband:

145.725 > also received on 145.595
145.750 > also received on 145.605
145.775 > also received on 145.620
145.800 > also received on 145.630

So i send the transceiver to the shop i bought the 991A. They send it to Yaesu UK for service.

Last week i had contact by email with the service manager of Yaesu UK. He told me that the transceiver was "Checked and found to be within specification"
This Yaesu UK service manager gives to following reason why this strange fenomenon is normal, he says:

"The FT-991 has an exceptional receiver 0.11uv or better on VHF.
Therefore even with a selectivity of -60db or better you will hear the other signals"

This is a technical explanation from the Service Manager Yaesu UK.
And they send the radio back to the shop.

The Yaesu dealer were i bought my 991A called me today that the radio is back from UK. And guess what? They did the same tests with other 991A radio's, they have exact the same problem. That's the reason Yaesu said to me: "Checked and found to be within specification"

There must be a designerfault in that radio.

Be carefull if you want to buy this 991A radio!
KG7CW Rating: 2017-11-22
An excellent rig for home or portable use. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
My FT991 is exactly two years old and was purchased new. It has been used as my only rig for both home and portable operations. I have used it had almost daily since it arrived. I am active on 160 through 6 meters with a little 2 meter FM mixed it. It has been used for two field day operations, many cw and phone contests and for chasing lots of DX on phone, cw and digital. It has preformed flawlessly. The menus can get a little frustrating at times but it is an amazing piece of technology. I do not regret having bought it and would recommend this rig to anyone looking for a very compact portable rig that works well as a base station too.
AC6FJ Rating: 2017-11-06
Great Radio Now Better Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Have had my 991 for a year and a half (purchased 6/2016). No issues and thoroughly happy with it. Having the VHF/UHF plus Digital makes it a unique and incredibly useful HF rig, especially for portable use.

Just had it converted to 991A. The conversion price felt steep ($330), however, after factoring the original purchase price minus rebates and the current 991A price minus rebates, the upgrade only cost me $100. That’s hard to complain about. This upgrade fixes the only complaint I had with this radio. The active scope’s usefulness is night and day over the static one. Moving around and searching for signals has become much easier, faster, more efficient, and enjoyable.

The many and various filters are great for focusing weak signals and eliminating even the noisiest interference. I am constantly amazed at what I can tune in and how clear I can make it sound. While I don’t always feed it the most efficient antennas, the radio and its antenna tuner rarely balk, and bring in/send out signals without complaint. I’ve received many compliments on my audio even though I haven’t yet taken advantage of the many speech processing options.

The Icom 7300 wasn’t released when I bought this radio so the purchase was a no-brainer. Even after the 7300’s release, I think I have the better radio FOR ME as I frequently operate portably and regularly use the VHF/UHF and the C4FM/Wires-X modes. While the 7300 sure is a nice rig, and appears to have the advantage with user interface, the 991A seems to have a leg up in versatility and the extra bands I utilize.
AD4C2006 Rating: 2017-11-02
GREAT RADIO Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have been using this great radio for one month now and my review will be a comparison with my previous radio that I used for a whole year, the exelent IC-7300.
1- Ergonomic speaking although the IC7300 is a more attractive radio,the FT991A performs better is some functions. The menu of the 7300 is not so extensive than the 991A but again there are more parameters to adjust in this Yaesu radio.I feel more confortable operating the 991A because its easy way to set things.
2-Receiver.
My surprise has been to find that the 991A ia less noisy than the 7300, most of the time I can pull weak stations from within the band noise when I can't do it with the 7300.
One function that for me is really outstanding in this 991A is the DNR called NR in the 7300, its amazing how well it cleans a noisy band and makes the voice of the station talking so clear as if he be on FM, it absolutely clean all the noise and it won't need to be so aggressive, I set mine on 3. The noise blanker on both radios work the same and won't distord at all the received audio.
The audio quality on the 7300 is slightly better than the 991A specially in the low end response but on the high end both respond equally.
The 991A is super sensitive so I have never need to engage preamp 1 neither 2, same performance on the 7300.
The filtering is great as well, it has a fixed not switchable 3 KHz roofing filter for SSB/CW that together with the well designed DSP will be able to hear weak stations close to strong signals using the Bandwith setting and moving the Shift, in this point I can not find any difference between these two radios.
I do work a lot of CW and I feel very confortable operating the 991A better than the 7300 although I am missing the CW automatic tune to be on the same freq the other station, the 991A don't have that useful function.For my old ears the sound of the 991A on CW is more clear than the 7300 so I can be wearing for longer time the headphones even with narrow BW as 100 Hz without any ringing noise.
Transmitter
1- For the ones who loves to be on ESSB, good news, this 991A can go down to 70 Hz and up to 3100 Hz, in this the 7300 goes down to 40 and up to 2900 Hz, to achieve these wide BW with the 991A you will have available three very good parametric mic equalizers in wich you are able to set the frequency, level and BW of each one something that is been already a tradition on all Yaesu radios since the FT990,FT2000, etc.
I found the MD100 to be the best sounding mic to use with my 991A after testing some.
Something I do not like is the missing knob or control to adjust the TX power output, you have to find it within the long menu and assign it to the key labeled CS.
The VOX works perfect as the 7300 as well, is very sensitive.
The monitor sounds real good,I will say almost identical to my own voice after I hear me in other radio so they have corrected the "fake" audio response in previous radios as in the FT2000, this time you can trust in what you hear.
Something I have noticed is that to make my solid state amp (ALS1300) 1200W I need 50W in the IC7300 but to make same PEP power in the FT991A I have to set it to 60W so it look like the peak power in the 991A is lower and there is no way to change any parameter like a in the 7300.
In general I am very pleased with the performance in HF of this FT991A. I have not test yet the VHF/UHF section of this radio for not having yet any outside antenna. That will be a future review.
Kudos to Yaesu for having made an excellent radio for an affordable price.

Hector
AD4C
M0HSG Rating: 2017-10-31
Firmware Issues Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I would just like add to my comments below as per 30th October. I tried a newer laptop that correctly downloaded the latest TFT firmware revision proving that the Yaesu website has the correct software revisions. It looks as though my existing laptop needs to have some MS software installed first before the firmware can be downloaded. It does state this on the Yaesu website which I neglected to read first. I would add however that the TFT firmware is not the easiest of the 3 types to download into the transceiver.
KB6HRT Rating: 2017-10-24
It's BETTER yet! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Brought a FT991 on Black Friday 2016 when the FT991A had just came out, thought I was going to use the radio for UHF/VHF only and the radio worked just fine for that, first part of 2017 started thinking a full time scope would be nice, called Yaesu an they put me on a list about 2+ month long, Yaesu would call me 2 weeks before the radio could be worked on, after 3 months not hearing from Yaesu went to HRO traded it for the 991A, now 6 months later am so happy I did, because the 991A is a dream using, I am an old guy, love this radio! The incoming audio is a pleasure to listen to, output audio is very good with stock mic. Using headphone you hear everything with little to no background noise. a real + an the touchscreen seams better than the 991s. it hear distant stations clearly to my ear...............
....................kb6hrt

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by KB6HRT on 2017-03-02

Brought the Yaesu FT991 at Black Friday Sale 2016 been using the radio on 10m-2m and 440 , had the FT857 before this radio. In my view this is a big step up the ladder with great audio on receive,
its easy to use the audio on transmit is very good using the stock
mic, to say I am happy is an understatement. Called Yaesu this morning an asked about upgrading the radio to a FT991A, they put me on a list which is very long at this time, they will call me 2 weeks before my number comes up, then the turn around time would be around 2 weeks, I am all in on doing so, this radio is such nice fit for what I use the radio for................kb6hrt
WM4RB Rating: 2017-10-24
PA Failed Twice Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Before the warranty expired on my FT-991 the PA failed twice. Yaesu fixed it right away both times but neither time admitted the radios where having any PA problems. Radio has been working great ever since the last repair. I like the radio and use it a lot.

Mike, WM4RB
W7PM Rating: 2017-10-23
Great Radio with terrible problems Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After a few months in the shack, my Ft-991 (Original) PA died. Out of warranty by a few months. There were a bunch of original FT-991's that failed. I sure wished Yaesu would have extended our 1 yr warranty to the three year warranty the FT-991A comes standard with.
I'm surprised there isn't a class action suit started for all the FT-991 owners with PA and tuner failers, or is there?