Manager

(Packet, PSK31, RTTY and C4FM), with 100 Watts of HF/50mhz Capability
(50 Watts VHF/UHF). High-resolution full color 3.5" TFT Touch panel for
superior operability and visibility, High Speed Spectrum scope with ASC
(Automatic Spectrum-scope control) built right in. Internal High Speed
Automatic Antenna Tuner included in the package.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=102&encProdID=D24F60F33816ED8BE5568D7E2B5E2131&DivisionID=65&isArchived=0
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
54.41694
AE6PL Rating: 2016-12-06
Very Impressed Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I published an earlier review regarding an inoperable key jack. As so often happens, the error was the biologic entity working the paddle. In my childlike enthusiasm to leapfrog to operating prior to fully understand what I was doing, I set the proper mode on the 991 to the appropriate keyer settings, but neglected to appreciate that the RTS software re-writes the setting. I neglected to choose the proper keyer settings on the software.

So now all is right with the world and using the rig to its full potential. It delivers what it promises.
VE3PTC Rating: 2016-12-05
good all rounder Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
i have the 991a, updated model which i purchased to replace an ageing ft 847.
its almost the opposite of the 847, as that model tended to focus more on vhf and uhf than hf.
my only gripe is you cannot switch out the vhf and uhf amps, like the 847.
however, as a "do it all" radio, it does fit the bill really well. good sensitivity, and a quiet receiver. im very impressed with the dnr function, and its certainly the best one i have used so far.
also, the noise blanker works very well too, especially on line noise. the nb on the 847 is non adjustable, so this is a major upgrade.
its not a contest radio, but the tools it has to combat qrm do a creditable job.
it takes some time to set up the extensive menu to your configuration, especially the 3 band eq, but once set, you are off to the races !!
plenty of audio drive, my mic gain is set at 15.
just wish yaesu would drop that terrible mh31 mic. it does nothing for audio quality.
im not terribly impressed with if dsp filtering on most radios. on this one it works well enough although i would not describe it as "brick wall" filters as one manufacturer goes on. for example, my 1000mp with inrad roofing filter, and cascaded 2.1 and 1.8khz narrow filters shows the 991a a clean pair of heels when the going gets tough.
anyway, to recap, what it does, it does do it well enough, and despite some running up and down the m -list function, i like it. its a nice update/upgrade on my 847
AB5N Rating: 2016-12-02
Actually Great.... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
OK, so some early users of the 991 had finals blow out. I'm sure Yaesu fixed it in the later runs (like mine). I've run this radio full-out in all modes and it's solid. Good things: Super low price, Excellent TX audio, Very good RX, Shack in a box, C4FM, Best Digital noise reduction I've ever used and every feature known to man. BAD: Antenna tuner won't tune random wires, spectrum display isn't constant (but is nice), only 100 memories and draws an amp on RX (a lot for portable/camping use). For $900 net, nothing else can touch it.
R4FBC Rating: 2016-11-14
Excellent portable transceiver! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I am one of those hams who are called "Yaesu-fan". All my transceivers and portable radios made by Yaesu.
I purchased the transceiver FT-991 to replace my FT-450AT, who worked for 6 years. FT-450 are not arranged so that the IF Roofing Filter had a very broad band of 15 kHz, which is why I often hear several stations operating on adjacent frequencies. In addition, the FT-450 receiver is very noisy.
FT-991 much like the best receiver with low noise and high selectivity. It has a narrow Roofing Filter 3 kHz and 32-bit DSP. It is also very easy to use color touch screen, with a panoramic view and a colored waterfall.
However, all is not well. Adjusting many settings it is only done through the menu. Also static panoramic view of the fact that no separate receiver for it. To update the pan activated primary receiver, and at the time of updating the sound is interrupted for a second. This has been fixed in the new model FT-991A.
In addition, the FT-991 operates on VHF bands, but I have not tried it yet.
Summary - Yaesu created a very good portable transceiver having a high-quality low-noise receiver, color touchscreen, HF and VHF bands. I liked it very much!
Sorry for my bad English ...
AA7WP Rating: 2016-11-06
Second set of finals blown Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I like the radio, but all of the sudden there is no power out. I bought the radio used. I have a MFJ 998 tuner and a random end fed wire antenna (132ft). I went from 100W SSB down to 10-20W output. Yaesu replaced the finals. It took one month to get it back. I had it for a week or 10 days, and I again have no power. I might think it was my fault, but I had an Icom 735 here for that month, and never had a problem losing power or blowing the finals. The software had been updated (by me) so that was not the problem.
I think I'll get an Icom 751A and loose my digital blues.
AB4D Rating: 2016-11-06
Nice all in one Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I recently purchased a Yaesu FT-991 to replace an older FT-847. The FT-847 and FT-991 are similar for most basic operating. The FT-847 has an advantage for satellite work with that unique feature. However, the FT-991 is equal or better in most everything else. HF performance is improved, and the feature set is more extensive with the addition of the color screen/scope, Parametric EQ, C4FM, and touch screen.

I had a conversation with sales at Yaesu regarding the differences between the FT-991 and the FT-991A. Contrary to some information, the new FT-991A is not significantly different than the original FT-991. The only difference, the addition of a dedicated receiver for the band scope, so the scope can function in real time during receive. Otherwise the FT-991 and FT-991A are identical. Some websites are indicating a update program is coming, to add the band scope receiver to the original FT-991. I just installed the latest firmware, and the FT-991 now has the same full color scope as the FT-991A, but it can't scan the spectrum without muting the receiver, that is the difference.

On the air, reports have been good, using a MD-200 microphone. My main application for this rig is for FM and occasional SSB on VHF/UHF, and it works well for that. I did not test it on AM, as I have no interest in that mode.

Ultimately, for what I paid, it's an excellent value. It doesn't have a large footprint, and would be a great rig to take portable as well, as you get everything you need all in one box that is easy to move from place to place.

W4DXL Rating: 2016-11-04
Welcome to a 21st Century Marvel Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Not quite a week of ownership yet, I believe the FT-991 gets a lot of things right. Yaesu packed a lot of features and performance into a package that's just the right size for those of us who don't have an entire room to devote to the hobby. I haven't tried the internal tuner so I can't comment. Internal tuners really can't handle my G5RV anyway so that's not an issue. I have an auto tuner and a manual tuner that can both do the job. I bought a store demo FT-991 and got a fantastic deal, it replaced a 706mkIIG that was starting to have issues. The FT-991 has a superior DSP compared to any radio I've used so far. The only thing that isn't great is the AM transmitted signal. I might be able to fix that with a firmware update but I am going to proceed slowly since it works very well just the way it is in all other areas. System Fusion the way Yaesu does it is a much better implementation than D-Star and DMR. Fusion is very easy to use. Right size, right performance, right features, and right price. I trust any issues will show up during the warranty period and I know Yaesu supports their products.
W9JH Rating: 2016-11-01
No longer in production Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
The FT-991 was in production less than two years. Given the early problems with finals, the automatic tuner, and frequent firmware updates that fixed some things while creating other problems Yaesu pulled the plug.

My early FT-991 had no issues so I was one of the lucky ones, but I let the original firmware intact.

A decent rig for beginners or portable use.
2E1VAR Rating: 2016-11-01
Fantastic Time Owned: more than 12 months.
There's some real rubbish posted about this radio. It's fantastic ! Can't really tell the difference between this and my FTDX-3000 on HF. Slightly more fiddly to access features such as NR/shift/width etc. but hardly a problem if you want a small unit. Only gripe is 2nd hand values have dipped since the introduction of the IC-7300. Hardly surprising as that's a game changer.
991 is an amazing piece of kit and on par with the IC-7100, nothing between them.
Top band to 70cms with C4FM and ATU all in one box ! Great little rig, go buy one today :)
VE1VON Rating: 2016-10-29
Best Multi Mode HF out there Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
This is the best HF radio at this price you can get, I am extremely happy with it.
The Menu system is very intuitive and once you get over the learning curve you will enjoy using this radio. I’ve used this radio for DX and special event stations all over this summer, very portable and 100W when you need it.
I highly recommend this radio.