Manager

Review Summary For : Pan Adapter MyPanAdapter.com
Reviews: 30MSRP: 70
Description:

Panadapter/Band Scope

What is a Panadapter? A Panadapter is short for Panoramic Adapter. The simple answer is that it allows us to see a panoramic display of the band our radio is tuned to...We can see every signal over the entire band.

Most SDR (Software Defined Radio) Panadapters display less than 200 kHz of bandwidth because they rely on the sound card. My Panadapter system does not use the sound card and can display as much as 3 MHz if you choose, and you can change that to suit your needs as easily as sliding a slider in the software. You can see the whole band.

Often Asked Questions

Q. Do I need to buy anything else?

A. No, my system is complete and come with everything you need.

Q. What if I need help?

A. I am an email away. And if necessary, I can talk you through every step on the phone.

Q. Will I lose any functionality?

A. You will lose no functions. Your radio will work just as it always has.

Q. Are changes reversible?

A. Changes are easily reversible

Q. Do I need to solder anything to my board?

A. Everything plugs in. There is no need to modify your rig*.

Radios currently supported: FT-920, FT-950, FT-1000D (not MP), IC-756ProII,III, TS-480SAT/HX (kits cost from $65 to $70)

Product is in production
More Info: http://mypanadapter.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00304.8
W0AMP Rating: 2015-04-24
Excellent & Cost Effective Pan Adapter Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I am amazed at how well this Pan Adapter works and how fun it is to operate! This is the least expensive and simplest way to add a Pan Adapter to your rig. I have the software running on an 8 year old XP laptop with Intel Centrino Duo Processor interfacing through with my FT-950 and it works very well! Steve tells me it will work even better on a faster PC or Laptop, which I plan to do in the near future. Steve's written & video instructions are very clear and easy to follow. I had it up and running in about an hour. I highly recommend it!
W7UUU Rating: 2015-04-23
Wonderful addition to my FT-950 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Steve has really put together a terrific system with his panadapter. Just a simple cable installation to the rig (it does require you to go inside the radio but Steve gives very detailed instructions and it's very easy to do). It took less than 30 minutes to have a 24" wide panadapter screen up and running, with that on the left and HRD (free version) on the right. All you need to supply is the monitor, computer you surely already have running well, and rig control software such as HRD.

Great product that's a super addition to any shack - see the whole band at once! My FT-950 is a totally new rig with this
W2NER Rating: 2015-04-04
Great pan adapter but communication could be more responsive. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have installed this on two rigs and computer systems, Yaesu FT-2000 and my current ICOM 7600. Both running on apple hardware using windows 7 and bootcamp. Works well. He put together all the part nicely to offer it to the hobby. I had a small problem after upgrading some hardware and could not get the pan adapter working again. Sent him three emails to get some guidance and no response at all and this was weeks ago. So, can't fault the hardware, But his communication is slow when he does respond and it seems getting some guidance or support for issues you may have, your on your own from my experience.
AE5YJ Rating: 2015-04-04
spot on Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
As others have mentioned, quick install and awesome instructions. Just installed it in my FT-950. My previous setup I used an Alinco DXSR9T and an RTL/Upconverter combo connected through DDE and HRD. It worked ok, but my secondary receive antenna wasn't as good, and that meant hearing stronger signals and barely seeing them on the waterfall. This setup uses the tuned antenna and is the perfect match. Kudos to Steven for a great package and great support. Very friendly guy, good product. Recommend highly.
VE3KEH Rating: 2015-02-15
Another happy customer... Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I heard from a buddy that Steve had just recently produced a version of this product for the Kenwood TS-570D/S transceivers, and we both immediately placed an order, which blessedly arrived within a week. Installation was as 'friendly' as advertised. Including opening the cover, drilling a hole and installing the socket and cable to the on-board IF port, as well as software installation, the entire process took under an hour and it worked like a charm right away! The instructions are clear and simple. My only advice is to read them carefully first, and watch the videos that Steve has made showing how to configure the software, and then follow everything 'to the letter'! It takes a bit of fiddling to 'home in' on the settings so that both the receiver and HDSDR audio output sound alike, but in the process you get to learn how to use most of the program controls and features. One small problem that arose is worth mentioning. The day after initial installation I did a Windows Update on my Windows 7 system, and inadvertently downloaded an optional driver for the HDSDR, which was likely recognized by Windows as it was plugged into a USB port. Since Steve provides a special driver (dll) for the Pan Adapter, this updated driver caused the HDSDR software to not run, and I had to uninstall and reinstall and reconfigure a second time. Steve had warned in his instructions to not let Windows install its own driver. I found out why! In future I'll check optional updates more carefully before downloading them, and/or will unplug the HDSDR before installing them. Hope this helps!
VK5SA Rating: 2015-02-07
Good as gold on an IC-7410 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Quick installation, and Steve supplies the fiddly bits of information needed to get it up and running in a hurry.
It's a buzz to see a station pop up anywhere in the band, and be able to go straight to it.
I'm driving my IC-740 with HRD and HDSDR for the dongle, and they all interface beautifully.
W6NFL Rating: 2015-01-17
Works Fine Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Had this up and running in well under an hour. Works perfect with the IC-756 PRO3. No soldering inside the radio (under the bottom lid)because the rig has an IF Out port ready to be plugged into. The step by step software setup instructions made it easy to get it up and running. I have CAT control on the rig but really, if you don't want to point and click on signals via the software and your mouse then all you need is what comes with the package. A slight delay between the rig and the pan adapter but if you just mute the software's audio (Mute button on the software interface)better off just listening from the radio. Your rig itself is not effected in any way when using this software except now you can see the entire band if you want to via this pan adapter software. You can adjust the speed and countless other adjustments to fit your visual needs. $70 gave me an awesome addition to my station!
N8PAP Rating: 2015-01-08
Steve lands another happy...no absolutely thrilled custormer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I recently bought one of Steves panadapters for my FT-920. I was thrilled at the thought of having a bandscope for my favorite rig. I recieved my package in the mail in just a couple days and the very next day before work (evenings) I went out to the shack to get started on installing the IF output jack in my radio. I wasn't expecting to have this done in just a few minutes time but I gotta tell you it took longer to convince myself to drill a hole in my beloved radio and to find a place to drill such hole than it did to actually do the installation! I have to say inside a half hour I had the covers back on, the dongle hooked up to the radio and the computer and was looking at the entire 40 meter band and then some. One hitch came up and please before you think it was product related, let me assure you it wasn't. My waterfall display and bandscope were reading in start stop start stop increments of about 2 seconds on and about 3 seconds off. I feared that it was due to the ancient PC tower I was running. I sent an e-mail to Steve to get a second opinion and within a few hours my inbox was ringing. Steve asked the details of the computer I was running and told me what upgrades would help. It doesn't take a super computer to make it work folks but you will need at least a dual core processor and a little bit of available RAM. I run the shack with the hand me down PC towers from the house, the kids get the best for school and ole dad gets the trade-ins. I am still running an old hand me down with stock sound card, a 1.8ghz dual core processor with under a gig of ram and I can use HDSDR, HRD, DM780, HRD Logbook and browse the internet and the waterfall and scope are seamless!!! Steve has picked up the ball where Yaesu dropped it. I can't be happier with my "inexpensive" panadapter. It's worth at least twice and more what I paid for it. I have used panadapters on high end radios before and they don't have near the options I do with HDSDR and Steves product.

Before you ask, I don't know Steve and I took the liberty on my own to be on a first name basis with him because of the piece of mind he offers in his support.

Thanks Steve for a great product that has made it an easy decision not to have to upgrade the transciever! It is brand new again and I don't have to study a poorly written user manual for days to learn how to use it!!!!
W2BLC Rating: 2015-01-06
Great product Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This little device works fine with my TS480 (my favorite rig of all time). It took just a few minutes to run the mini-coax into the rig and to plug it in (no soldering). I noticed no discernible change to the receiver with the mod (Good news). I just followed the easy instructions and within a half hour I had a workable panadapter (28" wide). An elegant answer to the lack of a panadapter for my 480.

Support is only an email away and is very good.

KB9UMT Rating: 2015-01-03
Inexpensive Pan Adapter…see all signals on the whole band! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Inexpensive Pan Adapter…see all signals on the whole band!

Ever want to see the whole band and every signal on a band to see what activity is where? It is quite a visual site to see Ham Radio is alive and well when you can visibly see all the activity and every mode on a whole band. If you are looking for something fun and inexpensive to add to your shack and Ham Radio then give this a try. You can search around and find an even cheaper way to do this but Steve KA9MOT has put together these kits and all you need to do this without any modifying of your radio….and Steve is a great guy to deal with plus will help you via email or even the phone if needed. Bought one of these mypanadapter kits and was up and running using it on my IC-756proII in no time.