Manager

Product is in production
More Info: http://sites.google.com/site/markstcxo/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
AE4G Rating: 2017-02-02
Great TCXO Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
My Kenwood TS-590SG had significant frequency drift with the stock oscillator.

Like another reviewer I considered the cheap Chinese TCXO’s that are available. I wanted to know if anyone had ever correctly tested the Chinese TCXO’s. This led me to Mark – the creator of the W7MLG TCXO.

Mark’s research revealed a significant flaw in the cheap imports. They had noticeably increased phase noise.

I now have a W7MLG TCXO and am very satisfied. Before I installed it, my radio would drift ~22Hz over 30 minutes. The W7MLG TCXO drifts less than 1Hz over an hour – excellent performance.

Furthermore, it is half the cost of the OEM TCXO.

Note: W7MLG was gracious to mention me in the credits of his website for my minor contributions during the development of this product. However, I have no financial interest in his work and I paid full price for my TCXO.
M0GYO Rating: 2017-01-27
Why buy the original TCXO Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I would like to repeat what the first review said.
Great performance and a simple and issue delivery from USA to UK with no extra charges.
Followed the progress of the build and when it arrived it was value for money at half the cost of the original unit.
K3WYC Rating: 2017-01-26
Outstanding alternative to Kenwood SO-3 Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I was an enthusiastic supporter of Marks's TCXO development and tested several prototypes. I'm now using the current production version Rev K. I have no financial interest in this product.

Like many TS-590 owners I had purchased a cheap Chinese "TCXO" rather than the much more expensive genuine Kenwood SO-3. These Chinese oscillators appear to have good frequency stability but there was always the nagging doubt that there must be a problem with them if they were so inexpensive. It turned out that this problem was phase noise.

You can find Marks's phase noise measurements here:

Details of the development and build of the W7MLG TCXO can be found here:

I have an W7MLG TCXO installed in both of my Kenwood TS-590S rigs. My independent measurements confirmed that the TX phase noise was significantly lower that the previously purchased Chinese TCXO. Frequency stability has been good and I have not needed to adjust either TCXO since it was installed.

Why use the W7MLG TCXO instead of the genuine Kenwood SO-3?

Equivalent performance for stability and phase noise
Less than half the cost
No soldering required
Keep Kenwood oscillator board for re-fit if needed

Andy k3wyc