Manager

More Info: http://www.icomamerica.com/en/products/amateur/hf/7610/default.aspx
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
164844.5
K4BNC Rating: 2019-11-05
Good performance; some interface annoyances Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have had the 7610 for a couple of months now. I have used it for casual operaating, a little DXing (VP6R) and some severe contest environemnts (40m during CQWW SSB). I also used it on FT8 on both HF and 6M. I am thoroughly satisfied with the performance.
Therefore my comments are mainly about the user interface - both good and bad.
The obvious - the display is beautiful and clearly shows all the needed data.
In general, the physical buttons are dedicated to a single function - no shift to an unrelated function. I like this choice. However, it does mean that the band buttons do not double as a numeric keypad. This means no physical buttons for direct frequency entry (which I do not miss) or for direct memory channel selection (which I do).
There are multiple menu buttons - the multi-function button, the quick menu and the regular menu - with no obvious logic as to why a given item resides on which menu. For example, power level is on the multi-function menu while drive level is on the quick menu. Incidentally, the power level is settable separately for 6M versus HF; I found no mention of this in the manuals. Otherwise, I found the manuals readable and quite complete although it is again not obvious how basic versus advanced was selected. Having the manuals online prior to purchase is a big plus.
Although an external keyboard is connected; it cannot be used for all cases where text needs to be entered (e.g. memory labels).
Finally I find it very annoying that some often used functions do not have physical buttons. Adding an inch to the height could have prevented this. This is my list of what I would have liked to see buttons for.
VFO/Memory select
Mode select - I got around this a bit by having the 3 band stacking registers set to the most used modes - one each for CW, SSB and Data.
Why are notch and Digi-sekect less worthy of a button than Noise blanker or noise reduction.
N4UE Rating: 2019-10-31
I made a OF error Time Owned: more than 12 months.
There has been LOTS of complaints of screen failures, some multiple times.
Clearly, there IS an issue. I have been very happy with my 7610 and had no issues of any type.
I recently did some rearranging of my shack. The 7610 has it's own 19" monitor and the PC and my TS-890 share another, identical monitor.
As I finished, I was shocked to see an ugly blue-gray background on my 7610's screen. Both monitors had a jet black background as did the 7300 and TS-890.
Thanks to the 7610-tech Groups.io, I had several suggestions to check the 'Display Type'.
That was it, 'somehow' (?) I had switched Types.

I felt better, because subsequent posts showed I was not the only operator unaware of the difference between 'Type A and Type B'.
All is well, again.

I must add this caveat....I only have between 5-10 hours total on the 7610.
Why? I always go to the 7300 first.

ron
N4UE
K8ALM Rating: 2019-09-15
I enjoy using this rig Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had my 7610 for quite a while now with no issues and it is a solid rig for my operating habits. The display is bright and has none of the issues I've read about from other owners. My biggest gripe however is I wish there was a simple means to throw a 5 watt carrier to tune my external tuner. I don't like the idea a having to buy a gadget to do this nor do I like having to switch to RTTY and pressing PTT. My solution to this was a bit of homegrown software using VB and the F4 key. Functionality built into the rig would be a better option. Perhaps this functionality can be provided with the next firmware update. ICOM are you listening?
K6USN Rating: 2019-09-08
Enjoying my IC 7610 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have had my IC 7610 since January 2018 and have had no issues. It is solid and dependable and I plan on keeping it a long time. I have been a ham 60 years and it's a rare radio that does not have some start up issues to address. I have had no problem with my screen or pre amp.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by K6USN on 2018-01-03

I have had this new radio for several weeks and have found it generally easy to program and with a wide variety of options to fit most any ham's wishes.
Aside from a few questions answered in the Advanced instruction manual, this is not a difficult radio to master. I am on the back side of 70 and even Old Timers can feel comfortable with this radio from the beginning.
WA6JKN Rating: 2019-07-30
Awful Display & Customer Service Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I was an early adopter (November 2017) and at first loved the IC-7610. It was not long before I started to experience problems. I experience the mystery tone and No RX. This was fixed via firmware. Then the ADC Heat-sinks came lose. My solution was to design a Dual ADC Heat Sink Spring clip to ensure no foreign object damage as Icom's fix to repress the heatsinks pressure sensitive adhesive (PSA) did not work. Then the Display screen experienced gray and burn-in and had to use my external monitor to see better. Even the replacement screens are failing too! I was told by Icom back in April a new display screen supplier was selected and testing was underway. Worth the wait, I thought. Today, Icom told me that what I was told back in April 2019 was not true and there is no solution yet and does not know when this will be resolved. The IC-7610's diplay is awful and I expected better Customer Service! I would not recommend this radio.
K2VF Rating: 2019-07-11
Wish I bought the TS 890 first Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I loved my Icom 7600 and felt that the 7610 would be a winner. The screen was grey in one corner and the receive was noisy. Did not take more then a few days to send it back as a few members I knew did so.Bought the Kenwood TS 890 and was very happy.Bottom line be careful hopefully they will work the bugs out but should have never released it.
KL4QG Rating: 2019-07-10
Nice radio needs to upgrade volume not loud hearing impaired Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I had 7610 few months and just got newest Ten Tec Omni VII+

I was shocked Omni VII+ pulled more SSB stations out of mud than the Icom 7610

Thing icom has going for it is NR but icom needs do something
About ssb filtering perhaps they need use Collins filters like Omni VII+

I’m almost deaf the volume never gets were I need it with 7610
were as Omni VII+ makes people sound like they are sitting in
next chair

Icom does nice with Heil ICM Mic
My son happy with 7610 so I’m going give it to him ,I’m keeping Ten Tec Omni VII+

Your be happy with 7610 if you have normal hearing if your hearing handicap than try Omni VII+
ZS4U Rating: 2019-06-27
18 Months down the line and still excellent! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Had the radio for 18 months now and it still looks and works just as great when I got it in 2017. It is a keeper!

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by ZS4U on 2018-01-03

I've had the whole ICOM line - 7800,7700,7600,7300, 756 all flavours, 746 PRO, 7000, 706 all, 703 etc. The 7300 was a game changer and what surprised most was the price tag vs the performance. I think an expectation was created that the 7610 would be this high performance radio with a low price tag..... The 7610 is correctly priced as a mid-range radio and conforms adequately wrt functions and performance. There is a lot of negative response on the price ie. "was it worth the extra money" etc. Yet, when a 7700 is purchased (single receiver and only 100w more) then it is ok to pay $6000 on a special?! The 7851 is $10000 plus and not one is complaining about that either....

This is a fine upgrade from the 7600 - and, yes - it is worth the extra money if you understood what I was trying to say previously. The dual, independent, receivers work well - combined with a split spectrum scope gives an edge over competitors like Elecraft and Yaesu. The external display capability combined with digital modes makes operating PSK and RTTY quite simple. The RSBA-1 software works seamless and you can even use the mouse on the spectrum scope of the RSBA-1.
No radio can or will be perfect to all but as for me this radio is an absolute pleasure to use and I think that it is a perfect fit in the market of mid-range radios when functionality and price tag is considered.
OE1TRB Rating: 2019-06-21
Perfect radio Time Owned: more than 12 months.
A great SDR transceiver from ICOM, I use my 2 radios on daily basis , they run fine , display is brilliant as on the first days. Quit receivers and easy handling compared to other producers hold the Quality Levels rather high.
cherio Thomas
K2JX Rating: 2019-06-18
Quality Issues Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Although I do like the quiet receiver, and the bells and whistles in this radio, I have had the TFT gray out issue. Now after spending $175 to ship the radio out to Kirkland Washington STATE, from Long Island for warranty replacement, I now have a new problem, Preamp 1 is dead. This radio replaced an Icom 7200 which was trouble free for the years I owned it. Very disappointed that a $3000 radio should have two fails in less than 1 year. If Icom paid for shipping under the so called warranty I'd have Preamp 1 repaired, it's just too costly to ship and insure for trip across the Country. Hopefully the finals don't fall off as others have experienced.