Manager

More Info: http://www.ohr.com/wattmeter.htm
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00414.8
WB0FDJ Rating: 2018-04-13
Great QRP accessory Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I built this kit a couple or three years ago. The board is really pretty straighforward and professionally done. A fair amount of "wiring" for the switches. When I got finished I had trouble with the 1 watt scale: it wouldn't calibrate to full scale. So I set it aside and there it sat.

This week I got it out, went completely through the calibration process (tricky but do-able) and by simply working the pot back and forth got the 1 watt range to do it's thing. This is a very nice accessory to have. I now know that my Diamond SX-200 it accurate down to about 3-5 watts but not so much in the milliwatt range: no surprise. I got out all my old rockmites, SW kits and the Cub and checked my outputs. They are a little better than I knew! A couple of the Rockies were around 1 Watt.

So if you need something really tailored to QRP operation this is the ticket. I've been very impressed with all of my Oak Hills products. Recommended for the regular QRP operator, especially if you work down into the milliwatt range.
KN2A Rating: 2016-01-05
Beautiful! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have to say that the quality of the WM-2 Kit is outstanding. It was a joy putting the kit together. This is my second one. The first one was lost in a move...

A QRP / QRPp operator MUST have this Watt Meter in his/her shack.

Thank you Oakhills Research!

joe kn2a
KM4IXK Rating: 2015-06-28
A nice analog watt meter. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This is the third OHR kit I built and it works as wonderfully as the other kits do.

It is nice to have all the little boxes match too.

The analog meter give me a warm fuzzy as it swings back and forth while having a CW rag chew :) it has fwd and rev abilities so you can use it to determine your antenna SWR. It is quite accurate all the way down to milliwatts and is perfect for a QRP rig.

The most important thing to me is that OHR is there to answer questions if you need help. They're a wonderful company to work with.
N5IP Rating: 2014-06-10
Nice kit and great accessory Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I just completed this kit. No missing parts, simple layout, with plenty of room on the board and an excellent manual. Alignment was simple with a digital VOM and a little patience tweaking the pot for voltage.

Scan earlier review for tips, including NR7F's clever idea for using hex wrenches to align the panel decals. They glided into perfect position.

This was a quality kit and I'm looking forward to opening the other boxes in my order and building the Oak Hills DD-1 Digital Display and OHR100S 40M Rig that were part of my order.

QRP kits and operation revived my interest in Ham radio. And, while building the simpler rigs I've learned more about the theory of radio than I ever did from preparing for the FCC tests.
KA0HVE Rating: 2013-09-02
Great product! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
My old SWR meter isn't at all accurate at QRP or QRPp power levels and I didn't like the reviews for other low power SWR/wattmeters. I've never built a kit before but I knew the WM-2 is what I needed. I ordered it.

I put the kit together the past 2 days and aligned it. Everything was very easy to do with the good instructions. I aligned it dead on with my DMM.

It works great! Now I can be certain of what power level I'm operating at and that my antenna is tuned up properly.

People mention the difficulty with the decals and that had me concerned until I figured out a simple way to do it. Turn the cabinet upside down on a flat surface, peel off the backing, and attach the decals using the flat surface for the top edge of the decals. They lined up perfectly.

I'm very pleased everything went together so well.

I've been using it for only a few hours now but it's exactly what I expected and does exactly what I want from it.
GW4OKT Rating: 2011-10-05
Rugged QRPp wattmeter Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Good quality PCB & meter. Takes about 4 hours or so to build and very easy to align. Looks a little 'vintage' but works well. It would benefit from having a strengthening bar between the front & rear panels to prevent bending inwards. the manual is very good and easy to follow. This is a good basic/intermediate kit.
WO4S Rating: 2010-10-30
Works great... a must for QRPp Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
The WM-2 has been indispensable for my Tuna Tin QRPp transmitter. Building it was straightforward, although the front and real panel decals are tricky. Use the utmost caution when applying them, as they are easy to misalign, and impossible to slide once contact has been made with the panel. When I messed up one of my decals, OHR sent me a replacement right away. As others have mentioned, the trim pots are touchy, especially R6. Although I initially built my WM-2 with the el cheapo 3/4-turn stock trim pots, I eventually ordered 20-plus turn replacement pots from Newark, which made calibration infinitely easier.

The WM-2 is an outstanding product, but I'd recommend three improvements to make it even more outstanding:
1) Some sort of alignment tool for the decal application
2) 20-turn or greater trim pots
3) Minor tick marks on the meter scales for greater precision.

Also, I did not notice any trace of tobacco smoke when I opened the package from OHR, and I'm very sensitive to that smell.
W0GI Rating: 2009-10-14
Great Meter of QRP Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I built my kit today, and it was a breeze. The instructions are very good. There are only two toroids to wind, and it isn't a big deal to wind them.

I read some reviews about it being flimsy for the money. I don't agree. The rotory switches, and other parts are high quality, as is the meter.

The only issue I had was adjusting the calibration voltage on R6. It is touchy as was mentioned, mostly on the 100mw voltage. However with a little work, you will get it set to the correct voltage. It really is a minor issue, it just adds a little time to the process. But once done, you won't need to touch it for quite a while.

On the alignment subject, I read a review, that stated you better get it right as you then clip the jumper and you can't align again. Not true, just put a glob of solder on the jumper for future alignments. Easy.

If you do QRP, this is the meter to get. For more accurate rig alignments alone, this meter is well worth the money.

5 stars as there is nothing else like it for QRP.
K6WHP Rating: 2009-06-20
A Revised Opinion and Good News! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I would like to amend my previous review to (1) bring joyous news and (2) correct some bad math on my part.

Firstly, I made a grievous error when I said Marshall Emm was a[n] SK. The glorious news was that I was in error; Marshall (one of the finest you will find in this hobby of ours) is very much with us.

Secondly, Marshall informs me that my purchase of the WM-2 was after he took over the stewardship of Oak Hills Research and I had paid $89.95 + s&h in November of 1999. Using that as a baseline, the increase in price from that amount to the current $109.95 is more than reasonable considering the inflation we have experienced on "other necessities"..

..and, let's face it, a good QRP[p] watt meter *is* a necessity. That you can build it yourself and calibrate it very simply is a treasure beyond price. And, as I said, the WM-2 is a very good instrument -- especially when compared to a Bird watt meter or similarly higher-priced ones.

If I have any regret, it is that is that the OHR-500 is now an SK, ao to speak. I had built and used one of those and eBayed it so that I could purchase an Elecraft K-2. I miss that OHR-500, a sturdy and whisper quiet radio.
WV4R Rating: 2008-10-02
Wattmeter_WM-2 is Truly QRP Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Wattmeter_WM-2 is Truly QRP

I have quite the story to tell about my very SPECIAL WM-2 wattmeter which I used for many years until I recently got talked out of it by a ... you gessed it... a QRPer!

One CHRISTmas many years past, NT5W/Atlee surprised me with a gift of a FACTORY WIRED WM-2. I believe he told me at the time he ordered it, he was the first purchaser to order it Factory Wired so you can imagine how long ago!

I went thru the QRP craze and when the dust settled, I felt no need to transmit Less than 15-25watts so my Special WM-2 sat in a zip-lock baggie on the shack shelf for a while.

When I opened the box my unit looked good cosmetically with no damage.

My WM-2 did not smell of stale cigarettes nor did it have cigarette ashes inside the box. Of course I was only too eager to compare this wideband unit with my Bird Model 43 with 5w and 10w slugs. Amazingly, the accuracy was the virtually the same! The current drain is very low and No R.F. got into it. I like the ole analog meter design too.

So, for design, execution, low power consumption, reliability & Factory built/tested for a fair price, my WM-2 easily earns the WV4R “FIVE” star rating.

73 es GOD bless…. murf/WV4R.