Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : PAR OA-50 6 Meter Omniangle
Reviews: 110MSRP: 99. USD
Description:
Triangle shaped antenna. Horizontally polarized whose pattern
is within 0.8db of being a perfect circle. Exhibits a wide
bandwidth.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.parelectronics.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
34.71105
VE6MB Rating: 2019-11-07
Excellent Horizontal Omni "Loop" Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Having owned a number of PAR Electronics antennas in the past, this one doesn't disappoint. I have very similar comments from the others......all things being equal with other "loop" type antennas, this one seems to perform the best....and works better than a simple dipole too.

I only have one (minor) nit-pick....I wish the antenna was rated with a higher power handling rating....the limit on this antenna is 200W (vs. 1kW for their moxon antenna).
WA9TGT Rating: 2019-11-06
Excellent! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I recently installed a 6 meter OA-50 Omniangle Horizontal Loop antenna. It’s actually the first pre-manufactured 6 meter antenna I’ve ever bought. One of the reasons I decided on the OA-50 over some other loops was because it has a more uniform Omni directional pattern than other loops and also because of it’s simple unique design. It also has a built in Balun and it’s very light weight. The OA-50 is manufactured from quality materials, I believe all 6061 Alloy Aluminum.

When I first mounted it at about 30ft up, I connected a short 10ft RG-8x coaxial jumper to it and checked its resonant frequency. I initially pre-set the 2 tubular elements ends to protrude exactly 1” out past the square boom as recommended. My AA-55 Zoom Rig Expert indicated it’s resonant frequency to be approximately 50.175 MHz. After a couple minor adjustments in the 2 tubular element lengths I had the resonate frequency set close to 50.275 MHz a nice comprise between 50.4 & 50.125 MHz. It only takes about 1/8” movement of each of the tubular element lengths to change it about 100Kc’s

The OA-50 has been working very well so far. Dale W4OP offers wonderful technical support. The shipping was fast and I was provided a tracking number to track it’s shipment.

Would I buy again? Absolutely!

I’m very pleased with my purchase!

Donnie Garrett / WA9TGT
WB0FTY Rating: 2019-07-09
Excellent Antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have been using the OA-50 Omni antenna now for over a year. It is a great antenna. It was easy to assemble maybe 10 minutes and 10 minutes to tune by the instructions. SWR is 1.1 to 1. I have made many contacts with it and is built well. Dale Parfitt is a pleasure to deal with and will answer any and all questions posed to him. You can't go wrong for the money.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by WB0FTY on 2016-08-16

Have had this antenna now for 3 months and I am extremely pleased with it. I contacted Dale and his help and service is second to none. Generally my questions were answered via email within a hour. This antenna is a great antenna and works extremely well. Even when the band is not at it's best at 32' I have had several question my antenna with 100w. Anyone getting one won't be sorry.
AE2L Rating: 2019-02-28
Fantastic antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I purchased this antenna primarily for use on FT8 with sporadic E. I was not disappointed to make FT8 E skip contacts with this antenna. It's built like a tank, easy to set up and easily transported for portable work. Tuning is predictable and easy. You can't go wrong with a PAR!
KM4NYI Rating: 2018-09-11
Simply The Best Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
After running a single square "squalo" loop for several years, I recently decided to upgrade to a pair of Omniangle's, and couldn't be more pleased.

To begin with, Dale Parfitt (owner of Par Antennas) is a pleasure to deal with. Every e-mail was answered within an hour, the antennas were shipped quickly, and he was great about answering my questions. That kind of superior customer service is hard to come by these days.

Unpacking and assembling the Omniangle antennas took less than 10 minutes each, and about 10 minutes to adjust for resonance. The instructions say to tune the antenna for 1:1 a little higher to keep the lower end of the band good in wet weather, which I did. A good rain shower revealed a slight lowering of frequency at resonance, but it was a minimal amount. I ordered the optional phasing harness to stack the antennas, and was very pleased to see it had no ill effects on the SWR readings whatsoever. Every single piece of the antenna and phasing harness is first-rate quality. I put the Omniangles on a 45' push-up mast, with a 6 meter vertical on top. The top loop is at about 40', and the bottom one 13' below that. The excess phasing harness coax is looped and tied off at the center feed point.

All that being said, the real question is how does it perform, and the answer is flawlessly. I have tested it with about 20 stations within a 100 mile radius on SSB and AM, and have received signal reports showing an increase over my old single square loop of between 1 and 5 S units. A friend with a service monitor noted a 7db signal increase on sideband, and on AM my signal increased from 10uV to 20uV. Of course, the summer "E-Skip" season has now ended, so propagation on 6 meters is scarce, but I did manage to make a couple of ground wave contacts on FT8 between 150 and 250 miles away over the weekend, and I'm sure I wouldn't have been able to do that with my old single square loop.

All this, and a fair price too. The cost of the Omniangle is less than the competition's square or round loops, and the quality of the materials and machine work of the Par antenna can't be beat. The phasing harness is half the price of the two major competitor's.

If you are looking for a high-quality omnidirectional antenna that performs, at a fair and reasonable price, and is built to last, get yourself a Par Omniangle. You'll be glad you did.
KB9ERU Rating: 2018-09-09
Great Antenna!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
After getting my feet wet on 6 meters with a homebrew dipole on FT8, it was time for an upgrade.
I emailed for pricing, and received a fast response with an estimated ship date.
Payment was made, and I’m happy to report that I received my antenna faster than the estimated ship date.

Instructions are crystal clear, with reference to an online assembly video. Nice touch.
Fit and finish is flawless.
Assembly and tuning was a snap.
The antenna is super lightweight. Great for portable operation.
On air performance is impressive given its size.

If a horizontally polarized omni directional antenna is what you seek, the PAR OA-50 is the one to get!
N1IPU Rating: 2018-08-09
Very Happy Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Having had Dales antennas before I decided to buy and OA-50 along with 2 meters and the 432 version. Excellent quality and only having the 6 meter version up 16' I am impressed at the reports I have been getting during openings and local nets. Just ordered another and a stacking kit.
M1ABK Rating: 2018-06-21
Simple, effective, works Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Fast dispatch to the UK for both the OA-50 and OA-70. Simple to assemble with low SWR on both models which was great. Standard of materials and construction is superb.

Quite early days but so far they both work well and are truly omni-directional as far as I can establish. Don't expect any gain (other than ground gain due to height etc.) but the result for me has been viable 50Mhz and 70Mhz antennas where a yagi simply isn't allowed outside, which when the band is open allows me to make some good contacts around Europe, best DX this season is over 7,000Km so very pleased.

Summary don't expect gain or a directional antenna like a yagi but they do work really well as a low noise omni directional antenna,if that's what your looking for you wont be disappointed !
KF2T Rating: 2018-05-04
Just the Thing Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Have had one of Dale’s Moxons for many years. Solidly built, flourished up and down rural roads in Nevada while 6m roaming.

Then I moved to the East Coast - DC. A smaller solution was needed for my balcony-equipped QTH.

Got an OA50 mounted today at my temporary QTH on the third floor, more as a proof of concept and validation. Tuned up smoothly and immediately worked great! Local noise is somewhat lower, but signals are better. A fellow a couple hundred miles away, who occasionally picked me up on the old dipole, called to ask what I had changed — the results were that obvious. He was hearing me more often, and louder. Only thing different - the OA50.

Can’t wait to see how it plays up another 110 feet at the new place.
N4SJW Rating: 2017-07-26
Another perfect score Time Owned: N.A.
Not much to add to all the other excellent reviews. several dB gain above a vertical, perfect for 6M digital, small foot print, excellent price and shipping . . . what more can you ask for? I'm having a ball on 6M JT65/FT8