Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Astron RS-35M
Reviews: 163MSRP: 169.95
Description:
Astron 35 amp (ICS), 25 amp (continuous) linear regulated power supply.
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
331634.6
KD2JF Rating: 2019-11-12
Too much hum Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have both the RS-35 and the RS-35M and both hum all the time. They are reliable, stable,heavy and will last a long time. But they hummmmmmmmmm all day and drives me crazy. Replaced with a switching supply and will never go back.
W4HWD Rating: 2019-07-17
Everlasting Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I’ve reviewed my RS-35M on here years ago but I must review it again. I just got back on the bands below 30MHz after a 12 year absence. I bought an Icom 718, but did not buy a switching power supply - instead I pulled out my dormant RS-35M that I bought in 1989 and guess what? Fired right up. Yep. 18 years of continuous use, followed by 12 years of storage, and I’m using it again. 30 years. Still running strong. If Astron is still making these the way they used to, get one - it will probably outlast you.
NC6M Rating: 2019-07-07
Hum Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I own this supply for about a month. Since day one it exhibits random bursts of 60 Hz hum (low load of a few amperes). Astron customer support blames variation of the power line frequency and advise to tighten the bolts (!). That does not sound right to me. I am asking for complete refund.
N8FNR Rating: 2019-04-06
Great power supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
After 15 years my RS-35M failed. I have an external LED power meter on it and it was rocksteady at 13.9v until this week. Suddenly it started flickering between 13.9 and 14 and then the fuse popped. Tried a new fuse and that popped. Tried a new AC cord but the fuse still popped. Well 18 years is not too bad in my book so I ordered a new one from Dx Engineering. With free shipping it was $240 and I got it in two days. The new one is a lot nicer as the meters are now lit with LED's and there are two Powerpole outlets on the front of it.
K6QT Rating: 2018-12-16
Best power supply I've owned! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've owned an RS-35M for a couple years now. It has worked to perfection. Just plug it in, screw the polarized leads to the back, and turn it on. It's ready to go. I had some MFJ (watch out!) switching power supply (can't remember which). I should have read up on different hams' experience with it. Many a ham had cried over the loss of all their radio equipment plugged into the thing. One day I turned it on and even though the voltage was set to 13.5, the voltage went out of control; the meter was just pegged, and 3 radios got fried! Cost me a couple of grand. Then some nice and experienced ham at an HRO in California said if there was any supply he would buy, it would be the Astron RS-35M. I bought it immediately (and bought all new radios, to my chagrin!) and haven't had a problem. Very good workhorse; it can go on for hours and days at a time with reliability.
KB9ERU Rating: 2018-04-15
Illuninated Meters. Sweet!! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I retired my trusty old RS-35A with a new RS-35M when I recently upgraded radios.

After unboxing and powering up, I immediately noticed the illuminated (LED backlit) meters.

Astron, just when I think your product couldn't get any better - you go and install LED backlit meters. Nice!

Everyone knows that the RS series are stable and dependable workhorses. I've installed quite a few in the LMR world back in the day. I would expect many years of faithful service from this RS-35M.

...did I mention the illuminated meters? hihi...
WB2LCW Rating: 2018-02-25
Dependable Power supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I bought my RS-35M used from a ham in Queens NY.
It worked very well but once in a while it would oscillate the voltage. I hunted around and found a
solder joint on the circuit board that was not that shinny. I removed the solder from the PCB pad.
I scrapped the component leads with a razor knife to remove any oxidation and re-soldered.
The power supply has been rock solid ever since.
I bought it used and Ive had it five years since.

KG7OR Rating: 2017-11-14
Dependable Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I bought the '35M for my new HF transceiver due to my experience with an RS-20M that has powered my VHF base stations for 27 years. That one has been so dependable that I've never thought about it in all that time except to turn it on and off. So far (one month) my '35M has lived up to its little brother's reputation. The brightly illuminated meters are a nice touch.
AI4WC Rating: 2017-07-08
My second look... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Yesterday, because of my poor eyesight and frailty, I mistakenly thought I was reading amps instead of volts on my RS-35M. The PS was working perfectly! I am happy to know that my "former" good feelings for Astron have been restored, and I apologize for my error!
WB9MSM Rating: 2017-07-08
Excellent Power Supply! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned my Astron RS-35M for over 16 years and it works GREAT! Kind of like the energizer bunny . . . Just keeps working! Highly recommend as a power source for any ham shack. You won't be disappointed!