Manager

Review Summary For : ACOM 1000
Reviews: 181MSRP: 3250 USD
Description:
HF+6M Linear Amplifier

The ACOM 1000 HF Linear Amplifier is the world's best value in an amateur HF amplifier. The ACOM 1000 gives you a comfortable 1000 watts output on all amateur bands from 160 through 6 meters.
Power Output: 1000W PEP or continuous carrier, no mode limit. Uses single 4CX800A (GU74B)
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.acom-bg.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
151814.9
UNCLEIKE Rating: 2019-05-29
Excellent! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Three sets of finals in the 600S and I switched to the Acom 1000. I personally know four hams with multiple blown solid state amps from different manufacturers. I just don't think high power solid state is here yet. This Acom 1000 is built like a tank, protects itself beautifully, performs flawlessly every time, on every band. It is a short learning curve to retune with band changes. I have gladly traded rugged reliability for 21st century solid state promises. Acom is a fantastic company and I will buy from them again.
WU7X Rating: 2019-05-10
Superior performance and support Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This is an update to my 8/28/2017 review. Within six months of acquiring the amp it fizzled out on me. Several emails to DXE with no response. So I emailed the factory in Bulgaria directly. Within 24 I was in contact with one of their techs. Working with him via email it took less than a day to diagnose the problem (bad tube and primary board). Replacements were sent to me immediately along with excellent written instructions, with clear color pictures, describing how to replace both and then how to neutralize the tube. The only expense was to ship the broken parts back to them. Since then I have made literally thousands of digital contacts using the amp without a hiccup. This means running it for hours at a time on a 50% duty cycle with 200-300 watts output. It doesn't get hot, it just keeps going. The protection built into it has saved me several times from my stupid late night errors. I don't think a manual tuner can get any better than this. It is staying on my desk for the foreseeable future. Dare I say perfection? Thank you ACOM support!
SO5BCT Rating: 2019-04-20
Amplifier ACOM 1000 Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Fantastic amplifier. I have been using it for several years and have never had problems with it. He worked both stationary and portable on trips to the area and worked very well. The only problem is his too big weight.
W9DZ Rating: 2019-02-17
No Issues Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I am the second owner of this amplifier and have owned it for four years. I have never had any problems and can attest to the fact that the built-in protections work. I know because I have tested them. I use it almost exclusively on SSB and CW and have done a little AM work on 6M running 250W of carrier. SSB and CW usually 800-900W. Tube is still putting out full power with 40 to 50W of drive. Spare tubes are available on eBay from highly rated vendors in Europe. I bought one from Ukraine for $175 including shipping. It sits on a shelf should I ever need it.
W3HKK Rating: 2019-02-13
Summary of issues Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Read nearly 200 posts on this amp, which are glowing. Only three noted hardware issues: 1. my $500 tube (installed + shipping both ways= another $160) died after 1 yr 3 months; 2. another had a relay issue; 3. another paid for a new transformer.

ACOM stictly adheres to their 1 yr tube warranty and 2 years for the rest of the amp. Beyond that, YOU pay. So dont dally if you think you have a problem. Also be prepared to pay for shipping both ways on top of repairs. For an amp, that adds up.

Im not saying the warranty is poor, just that it is strictly adhered to, and it is up to the owner to monitor the condition of your amp and notify ACOM. Out of warranty repairs ( tube or xfo) are gonna cost you around $700.

PS As others have noted, older designed amps last forever. My old Dentron Clipperton L lasted 20+ years with heavy contesting use and two changes of the finals. Not sure that will happen with newer amps. Id be curious how well the OLDEST ACOM 1000's last, and what their usage was. As said, overall other than mine's short lifespan, it is a very good amp.

Earlier 4-star review posted by W3HKK on 2019-02-11

My prior glowing review has to be dialed back a notch due to the original tube lasting just 14 months before output dropped off dramatically.

In retrospect, it appears the original tube was defective as received, but I didnt act on it until 14 months had passed and the tube out of warranty. (My bad.) I was so happy to receive the amp and not interested in shipping the big heavy thing back, as it put out 1000w on the hf bands, but would only put out 350w on 6m before the overcurrent interlock kicked it off line. Since I did very little 6m work, I didnt worry about it.

Then comes last week when out of the blue the overcurrent interlock shut the amp down immediately upon pressing the Operate button. Twice.

DXE quickly advised it was under warranty and to ship it to their contracted tech in NY, which I did. He promptly called me to advise I had a tube issue, and ACOM had a strict 12 month warranty on the tube, but a 24 month warranty on the rest of the amp. Hence, it would cost me $495 out of pocket to get the tube replaced, plus return shipping.

Considering the rapid decline of the tube and the money already spent shipping the amp in for repairs, it made sense to go ahead with replacement.

The amp IS easy to use, quiet, and will directly tune an antenna with up to 3:1 swr which almost obviates the need for an external high power tuner. But since I have one, I use it when swrs go above 1.5:1 to lengthen the amps life. So much for that theory.

FWIW: my usage is mostly contesting- 95% cw, 5% ssb. No digital. About 3500 qso's per year. The driver is an IC7610.

Moral of the story is: be sure to test your new amp on all bands for full output power. Highest band first. If it fails, then contact your dealer immediately.

N2SLO Rating: 2019-01-23
Excellent as expected Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I waited almost 1 1/2 years to finally pull the trigger on this amp. I passed my General last year, so I wanted something for HF in addition to boosting 6M power. After reading all the reviews, I bought one. The amp performs great. The protection worked a few times. I was on 17M, only with my internal antenna tuner and my Imax 2000 (not efficient), and with about 450 watts and 30 minutes of FT8 contacts the amp told me to power down, SWR issue. Great, passed the test. During the recent VHF contest, I was putting through about 600 watts with SWR all weekend of 1.3 but with the ice storm, the antenna finally froze. The amp told me to power down. I have never run this above 600 watts, barley breaks a sweat and runs cool. Easy to tune, easy to use and plenty of monitoring functions ( forward/reflected power), SWR, RF drive, DB gain, and many more. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for- a true and tested design and quality. The amp was brutal to pull out of the double boxed package, a mini work out at like 50 pounds. Very happy with my first HF amp purchase, I have several big amps for VHF/UHF and this one is a keeper for HF.
K0COM Rating: 2019-01-16
Did not dissapoint Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Bought it new and only let it go when an opportunity to upgrade to a 2000a came along. While the 2000a does auto tune and that's a nice feature, having to tune the 1000 was not a big enough reason to change. But when considering both auto tune AND twice the output, well.....

When the bands improve and 6 meters becomes more viable, I'll look to get another Acom to cover that band as well.

Great products, great support. Great performance!
N9AOP Rating: 2018-12-17
Excellent and Reliable Time Owned: more than 12 months.
3 year review.
I use this amp 2 hours a day 5 days a week. It works as well today as it did when I first got it.
Art

Earlier 5-star review posted by N9AOP on 2016-11-11

I have had this amp for exactly one year and bought it from DX Engineering. I use this amp for one hour in the AM and one hour in the PM 7 days a week and have had no trouble because it works just as it is supposed to. It replaced a 10 year old TT Centurion. I was considering the Acom 1500 but the additional few watts were not worth $1000 to me. If your antennas are under a 3.0 SWR you won't need a tuner.
Art
M0HDX Rating: 2018-12-09
Best Kilowatt on the market. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Used for 7 years most days,Same tube full output.my spare GU-74B valves continue to gather dust.

The best reliable kilowatt amplifier out there.

Jim M0HDX

Earlier 5-star review posted by M0HDX on 2015-04-06

Acom 1000 2 year update.

Used daily without a single problem and very very reliable,superb clean signal.

The rolls royce of amplifiers and the guys at Acom deserve all the credit for building such a well engineered product.

A definite keeper.

W2OSR Rating: 2018-12-05
Very Good Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Heard a pop a few days ago with the amplifier in standby. Tried tuning up using CW on 20 meters. No power out. Will try again. Up to now it has been fool proof and very reliable. It is about 5 years old.

Earlier 5-star review posted by W2OSR on 2013-07-15

I've had the amplifier for a month now. It is extremely easy to tune. I had problems on six meters. After troubleshooting the problem was traced to a MFJ lightning arrestor that was breaking down at anything much over 100 watts. I hope six opens up so I try it out. With 60 watts of drive the power out is in the high 900's.