Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : HyGain TH6DX
Reviews: 18MSRP:
Description:
Directional beam for 10/15/20m - 6 el.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.hy-gain.com/
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
KX2T Rating: 2018-05-13
A Time Classic TRi Band Beam Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Threw over the years from the 1970's to 1980's I have owned two of these big tribanders plus in the late 80's bought a TH7 but to be honest I think Hy Gain went the direction of the dual driven element only to keep up with the BS add's from KLM at the time. That feature only broadened the SWR but did nothing for what I would call gain bandwidth. I still feel the original TH6DXX had better gain on all three bands then the TH7 did, why well the spacing was an overall better compromise in the TH6, simpler feed system and if you cut the antenna for the low phone settings its swr was not bad at band edges but Hy Gain though that if they added another driven element that most of us would want the newest version and they were right on the money as far as a marketing ploy but the performance IMO went down. I still remember a local ham who had up a KT34XA and my TH6 never had taken a back seat to him either on strait comparo's or in a DX pile up but that changed with the TH7, then it turned around and the TH7 was last. The original TH6 was fine tuned on a real antenna range were the TH7 was more so marketed in add copy, the overall Q of the system was better on the TH6. I no longer have these antennas but when we move south I hope to find a used TH6 and recondition it, to me that tribander had real balls.
KB9ECA Rating: 2018-05-13
Great antenna Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Got mine from a silent key in Milwaukee had it up ten years then moved to Florida. Three hurricanes later need a new one. This antenna works like gang busters. Strong and functional.
AD4GB Rating: 2012-01-28
Best 6 element Triband ever! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I was at a friends qth and spotted something shiney onder a pile of leaves, when I realized what it was I asked what he was going to do with it, he said it was missing some parts and he was going to scrap it but if I wanted it take it home, so I did. I ordered the missing parts from Hygain, reassembled it and it workes great! That was 6yrs. ago, I have made 100's of dx contacts all over the world and always get good reports. It has great F-B rejection, not to bad on the sides and great forward gain and covers the entire bands on 20, 15 and 10 meter. It is a shame that it is no longer in production. If you get a chance to buy on you better grab it!
MM0YET Rating: 2010-08-13
Fantastic performer Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Bought my TH-6 still new in the box from a silent key sale - the person selling it on his widow's behalf had thought it was a TH-3.

I test assembled it in my garage yard, and then dismantled it into 13 pieces (boom, and the two halves of each element) and carried it a mile home.

A few months later I acquired and fitted a 35ft fixed lattice tower, and another 2 weeks later had the TH-6 at the top of it (It spent those two weeks lying flat on my sloped roof!).

There then ensued a planning permission battle, which I won (it was reported on eHam at the time, and in my local press).

I've moved out of my parent's house now, but the TH-6 still remains and occasionally I still get to use it - the intention is to set up an RF remote control for the station at my parent's hosue so I can continue to use it.

My most recent contact with the aerial was an IOTA station in Bulgaria - barely readable at my QTH with a 20m wire dipole, just readable at my parent's on a 20m wire dipole, and S9 +40 on the TH-6!

It's in a windy location, and I've already had to take it down (support pole wasn't up to the job) and reinstall it, but I haven't had any elements or traps work loose yet.
N4CT Rating: 2010-03-23
GREAT ANTENNA Time Owned: more than 12 months.
USED ONE OF THESE IN YAOUNDE, CAMEROUN 1969-1972 AS TJ1AW. ALOT OF PARTS BUT IT REALLY WORKED GREAT!
KC7YRA Rating: 2010-03-23
Wow, Just WOW!! Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Got this antenna used from a feller who had it sitting in a barn. I took a little time to fix it up, but nothing serious.

I have it mounted up at 50ish feet. What a performer!!! This antenna has proven itself to be very reliable. Even in the high mountains of Wyoming, this antenna has shrugged off the wind as if it were nothing. The tower is mounted on top of a tall hill that gets blasted with wind. The antenna will rock, shimmy and shake, but stand it's ground.

It also has proven itself (once again) extremely robust in the frigid cold. Even at -50F, the antenna and it's plastic parts have remained stable and intact.

Perhaps not the biggest nor highest gain, but it really does perform. I would classify it as a "large medium" in the world of HF tribanders. With a boom of 24 feet, it certainly is no easy task to mount it securely. If you do though, you will be pleasantly surprised by it's performance.
K7ABV Rating: 2009-05-04
A Classic Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Have used this antenna for 34 years, been up in over 85 MPH wind..snow storms and rain...I have never done a thing to it and have worked All Countries with it for Number 1 Honor Roll status...I know their are better antennas out their..but, this thing just keeps going like the bunny...for me it is a keeper...I don't plan on replacing it any time soon...It is dependable for sure
W7VO Rating: 2009-05-04
Great antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I got this very tired antenna in a trade for a slightly used Cushcraft A4S, and what a deal. After replacing all the plastic bits, some clean up, and stainless hardware, it went up just in time for the 7QP.
Almost a thousand QSOs later, I was surprised how many positive comments I got on how loud my signal was.
I don't think there is a better 3 ele tri-band beam up there, but with the 24 foot boom it is a monster to install!
N3NEP Rating: 2008-11-17
Thumbs up for me Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Wow, I got this second hand and replaced all the plastic parts with new and replaced all the element clamps with s.s. hose clamps. I currently have this on a 40ft tower and I'm turning it with a ham IV rotor. I have noticed that all I have to do is turn in the direction I want to talk and walah instant DX. Just a huge difference compared to a dipole. It used to take 15-20 mins to get through a pileup and now 90% of the time I get through on the 1st or 2nd call.
N2QQF Rating: 2008-10-28
Incredible Performance Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Incredible Performance is all I can say. I recently purchase this antenna used for $75.00. It was simply missing two small elements and a boom to mast clamp. If you know this antenna you know that I still got an amazing deal. I was talking to a DL station in Germany today who has been looking for one and the cheapest he has found so far was about $400 Euros which is about $600.00 (US).

Anyhow, I previously had a TH3MK4 by Hy-Gain which worked nicely. I had that up for about a year now and I have been quite happy with the performance considering it was a three element. I have since replaced it with the TH6 and what a difference. I am doing s-9++ all over the place and I hear a lot more than I used too hear.

I have the antenna about 10 ft off my roof and 30ft off the ground. I have a 50ft tower that is being raised up to 70' and the antenna will then go on the tower but so far I am certainly pleased with the performance and durability of this 10 year old antenna. I was quite happy with the condition of the antenna. I cant belive how durable this antenna was considering how long it was in the air and now out of service.

There obviously has something to do with not only the care the previous owner took with the antenna but also the craftsmanship used by Hy-Gain. I was thinking of stacking the TH-6 over the TH11DX or TH7DX. I will submit a follow up report soon after it is mounted on the tower. If you happen to come across one like I did buy It.