Manager

More Info: http://www.icom.co.jp/ham/products/ic-7400/index.html
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
15484.5
VK5FDMR Rating: 2007-07-20
Well priced, great performer! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Hi, I have had the use of the Icom 7400 a few months back whilst my friend went on a holiday and I have to say that it is one excellent little radio. I found the menu system to be easy to understand and work out and all major functions are easy to adjust. Recovered audio is excellent. The DSP is excellent and is very easy to use. Tailoring the TX audio is a breeze and once adjusted I was getting great audio reports. The radio performed faultlessly on all bands. A great performer on 10m and 15m with many stations worked in the US and EU and all with great audio reports. I did also try the radio on 2m and wow it works a dream. It has excellent Rx and is easy to use. The screen is easy to read and well set out. If I had the money I would definitely purchase one. Another great radio from Icom.

Best 73 de Dave VK5FDMR
G7KTM Rating: 2007-07-17
Fantastic! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Ok i just had to add a review of the Ic-7400. Now i have a mint as brand new TS870s which was the best radio i have had to date. lovely kenwood sound and audio. but The IC-7400 can hear and remove alot more with its filters and DSP than the kenwood can. 144-145 also works very well, having had an FT-847 some 6 months ago this 7400 is better than the earth sation on 144-145. so far i cant fault this 7400. It has very good audio out and some very good audio reports back on TX. I found the controls easy and seting it up for personal prefrence was also straight forward. easy menu's and once you have been round them a few times it becomes 2nd nature. I cant see me needing anything else, but there again i said that about the TS870s when i got it! the 7400 is a great Radio and now in the 2nd hand market for decent price's! grab one if you can.
G1MQQ Rating: 2007-05-25
niggling problems Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Started having niggling problems after two and half years.
Audio output from rear jack disappeared. Not the end of the world. Dealer fixed it but took 3 hours and 150 mile round trip.
Display doesn't always illuminate first time.
Control interface now gone down (must be rig because 706MkII still fine and using same interface cable and HRD)

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by G1MQQ on 2005-09-20

I've had this rig a full 12 months now and used it on all bands and most modes. Increasing familiarity with it just makes it more impressive.
I stand by everything I said in my original review.
----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by G1MQQ on 2005-01-15

I was initially attracted by the bargain offers available on this rig, but it would still be a good buy without the freebies (Desk mike and speaker). I was assured that the ctiricism of the IC 746 pro didn't apply to the IC 7400 and the 2 year warranty is reassuring, time will tell. 'It does what it says on the box', just better! It seems a bit plasticky and some of the controls are a bit 'lightweight' compared to the Kenwood it replaces,but these are the infrequently used ones, mic gain, rf power etc, and I treat my rigs with care and respect and don't need 'Bomb Proof'.

G1MQQ
SV1EEX Rating: 2007-05-17
Excellent performer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
My primary qth was cursed with vy high qrn from nearby electrical lines.Couldn't get on the air unless the rain washed up the insulators at the local power transformers.

My previous rigs were all yaesus (FT-857/897) and couldn't beat down the qrn in general terms even with the use of mfj noise canceller. I decided to give a test with a friend's ic-7400. I couldn't believe my ears that the qrn was defeated by the IF-DSP and I began to hear stations that wouldn't even exist on the 897 f.i.

When I switched the rigs on the same antenna I got the feeling that the dsp equipped on my previous rigs was nothing more than a contribution to a bad joke.

The audio reports for this excellent rig are vy pleasing and with a plethorae of filtering options IMHO.

The only con I have already met is the crystal stability in digital modes but the cure is simple and inexpensive too. Just look for the cotton wool mod.

Haven't tested yet 2m in depth but had a couple of distant ssb qso's with ease and without bothering to apply the internal pre-amp.

Compared to a 756 pro II that I had the chance to put aside on the same antenna and on non-volative propagation conditions( as far as the audio quality is concerned) the result seemed identical both in rx and tx and without any doubt some reports pointed the 7400 as winner.

If you plan to work cw on contest mode also a nice surprize awaits you in the keyer menus with the internal "keyer".

I believe that the rig deserves every euro/$$ you pay for and offers performance that others pay much more to obtain.
M3OML Rating: 2006-12-27
Best HF set owned VHF could use some help Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Hi all I have been using IC-7400 for about a month now very good radio on HF and vhf TX however RX on vhf is not very sensitive not the end of the world The DSP is the Best i have used and am enjoying the radio.

Would buy again hovever budget for a 2meter masthead preamp
M0FRH Rating: 2006-12-10
Very pleaesed Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Have had my Icom IC-7400 for a month and very pleased with it. Nice to have controls you can see and not hidden in menus, my last set was a FT100D. Receving good reports on transmitted audio both on 2 mtrs FM and HF ssb. DSP works well on clearing up incoming QRM and QRN. Looking forward to using in 80 mtr SSB club championship comp next year. 73s
EI5FK Rating: 2006-07-19
Good but problem Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Great radio but backlight gone, guess I will have to send it back to ICOM-UK along with my 756pro2 that has memomry scan problems, thank God for my trusty FT-847.....Icom need to get their act together
M0EDY Rating: 2006-06-20
buy one now Time Owned: more than 12 months.
go and buy one now. forget the ft857 the icom will
out perform it on all bands / modes .and with very good atu and a full 100watts on all bands.
need i say more a great radio i have had my one for 3years now also comes with sm20 mike
G8WVW Rating: 2006-03-10
Great radio! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Mine is an earlier model which has had both the HRX line problem (www.qsl.net/k5lxp/projects/746Pro/746ProNoTX.html) and TX driver overheat problem (http://home.gwi.net/~mnadeau). While these repairs have been irritating, the radio is otherwise excellent and new radios should not suffer the same fate. The IC-7400 is my HF standby and PSK set in the ZD8I DX shack and also doubles as my Marine band VHF transceiver and air band monitor. Having the VHF included is a real bonus over the much more expensive IC-756 PROIII. One small niggle is that the memories cannot have an alphanumeric tag programmed via the PC cable/software as Icom did not include any command in the CI-V specification for this radio to do it.

I am giving the IC-7400 a 5 even with the problems I have had on the basis that newer radios will be fine and it really is an excellent radio.

Regards to all,
Ian.
ZD8I, Ascension Island.
GM0VDL Rating: 2006-02-03
excellent Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I have had my ic 7400 for only two weeks and have found that the receiver better than my ft1000d. Reports on audio quality on transmit have been very favourable. Over all, a great rig. I think it is the best rig I have ever purchased