Manager

Manager - NA4M
Manager Notes

Reviews For: Datong FL3

Category: Filters, Audio: (DSP and others)

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Datong FL3
Reviews: 18MSRP: £64.95 (GBP)
Description:
Variable High Pass/Low Pass/Notch Filter
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
K7JOE Rating: 2018-06-06
Makes Old Analog rig complete Time Owned: more than 12 months.
Picked up a Datong FL3 at a hamfest for $30. What a bargain. With the supply of classic crystal ladder filters declining and price increasing, this audio filter is quite a bargain. Rather than $120 for a 1st IF and $80 for a second IF filter, I put this in line and presto .... can decrease the bandpass to 100 hz ! 350-500 hz sounds great on cw and gave it a test run in a recent CWT and it worked great. Really nice to add some selectivity to old boat anchor (and even more modern) gear. I'm not much for SSB, but apparently this thing works great on SSB too. If you find one, buy it ! It's headed to field day along with the boat anchors and mid 1980's HF backup rigs for a complete workout !
W5JV Rating: 2016-06-04
Datong FL3: Wonderful Filter Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
Despite hearing about the FL3 for a long time, I only recently acquired one. In comparing the difference between the receive of my Elecraft K1 with my K2 w/dsp, I could not help but notice how quiet and more pleasing the K1 sounded. Being unhappy with the K2 w/DSP harsh audio, I tried an Idiom Press SCAF-1 to see what effect it would have. The result was a conversion of the raspiness of the DSP'd audio into a quiet background I used to hear on a nice receiver. I was really pleased with the change and that raised my interest in how other filters might work. So, armed with this interest I found and purchased a Datong FL-3 and it is everything I could ask for in an audio front end. The Auto Notch is superb and the CW Filtering makes me feel as if I have a new transceiver. Not sure I can say it slices & dices (as some report) but it is quick to use, easier than the menu panels and you can just leave it in place for a more enjoyable session. If QRM pops up, you just genty tweak one of the filter positions and its gone. Lately I have been experimenting with finding a best menu selection fit to go along with these and having more fun than I have had in a long time. YMMV but I wanted to leave this review for anyone who might have the interest in improving their transceiver audio. Cheers to all.
K7EXJ Rating: 2015-10-25
A Must for Older Rigs Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
For some reason the CW bug bit me (again!) last summer and I decided to gear up to get back on the air. I have had a Yaesu 767GX for over 20 years that was a top-of-the-line HF rig back then but it leaves something to be desired now; especially on cw. I found a Datong FL-3 on eBay along with a nice Kenwood power supply, an old but serviceable 2m and a couple other bits and pieces (for $179).

It took me a little while to figure it out (the markings on the panel are not intuitive - at least not to me) but once I did I was blown away by this filter's ability to slice and dice; at least on CW (which is the only mode I've been on with it). It makes my old Yaesu a much more useful rig on CW.

I see that the introduction to these reviews indicates that the FL-3 is in production and for sale at about $100 US. I don't think this is true. But if it is, then grab one!
AE6RQ Rating: 2013-01-04
Best of Analog Design Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
This (and it's near-twin FL-2 which is identical except that the FL-2 lacks the auto notch filter) audio filter sure does a nice job for CW. No ringing - at all - and easily and repeatably adjustable.

For CW work, this filter shines against the older (early 90's) design DSP filters that I also have.

I have a couple of different SCAF filters and this compares quite nicely too.

OE3SGU Rating: 2012-07-17
Better than many DSP's! Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I was lucky to get one for a very reasonable price. The performance of this filter is simply amazing! The ANF is great, the BW filters are very versatile, especially in CW. This box beats many DSP's in some rigs. And the building-quality is unlike any other. It is a pity, that it is no longer produced as are so many former high quality products.
GM0WNR Rating: 2012-05-18
This time it's a keeper. Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
I've fallen in love again...... with this filter, it is quite literally sublime, I acquired it from a good friend who no longer needed it and what can I say but WOW! Never been used on speech as I'm into CW but on this mode it is superb. I've had these filters before but always eventually parted with them, but this will be a keeper, I'll make sure of it! I use an IC736 with FL100 for CW and I find this combo with the FL3 is killer for CW. I keep a SCAF in-line with the FL3 in case there is any really heavy QRM, but to be honest the FL3 manages to cope with >90% of the noise fighting duties. A keeper for sure this time.

----------------------
Earlier 5-star review posted by GM0WNR on 2003-02-04

Only had this filter about a week or so, but already very impressed. I am mostly CW but do a little SSB and use it along with an unfiltered Yaesu FT840. I have been a ham for @ 5yrs now and I can say that this is one of the best buys I have made as it is so easy to use and so versatile. I have tried the Daiwa AF-606K and although good on CW, excellent in fact, I found it poor at best on SSB. I also find the FL3 a lot nicer looking (which is a factor more important than most of us will admit to). It has a strange power jack setup at the rear consisting of a 3.5mm jack socket - WEIRD!! There are 3 other sockets on the rear,all phono types, for audio in, out, and tape. The front also has a 1/4 inch headphone jack, power is 12V. It is very easy to use but the manual is very good, if anyone needs a copy then drop me an e-mail. On SSB , I find it very good, coping very well with most types of noise and even some unwanted hash within the audio passband, judicial use of the IF shift on the FT840 along with the FL3 usually sees off most unwanted stuff, and can render an almost lost QSO, to one where at least the important info can be gleaned. In CW mode however the filter really comes into it's own, the filtering it gives is not only excellent, but easy to achieve with only one rotary control being used. I think one of the most important features of any filter is that it should not only work as intended, but that it should also give the necessary effect without having to fiddle with the knobs too much, this only ends up with the operator spending more time fiddling and less time working people, in my humble opinion this filter does both of these things very well. Last but not least the auto-notch is a dream, it works very quickly, just take care not to leave it on in CW mode. I think a combination of this filter plus a 500Hz CW filter would be excellent.
26JLH Rating: 2011-04-29
good as dee yes pee shame i sold the last one, what a plonker Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
i had one of these filters and i sold it and got a cheap dsb filter.
well is sounded like a toilet dripping so i floged it on ebay oh well.
then i saw this other FL3,so i bought it, to be quite honest it beats the so called dsp filters hands down.
So if you do cw or digimodes as i do, get a datong FL3 its the best you can get, nothing even comes close as this filter believe me ive tryed.

jeff m6glh england ps they dont make filters like this anymore what a ,,,TERRIBLE SHAME,,,
NV2A Rating: 2008-05-22
fantastic piece of gear Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I know this is an old thread but feel obligated to rate such a fine product.

If you can't tune out an interfering station with this unit it's because the guy is sharing the same frequency. It excells at slicing out just the signal you want if there is any difference in their frequencys at all. I paid $175.00 for mine at Dayton about 10 years ago and would not part with it for anything. I have an Icom 756 Pro III but it's digital receiver ain't got nothing on this Daytong FL3. If you have analog gear you need an FL3 wether or not you know it !!

In the DX club I belong to we used to call the Auto notch filter the "search and destroy" button!

N0PL Rating: 2008-05-01
Superb Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I had placed the unit on the shelf some years ago when I moved and had forgotten about it. I recently pulled it out and hooked it up to my Kenwood R1000 receiver. The R1000 sensitivity is OK but selectivity is lacking. After putting the FL3 in line, it was like using a "new receiver". It is absolutely amazing. I have an outboard SCAF filter and the FL3 is superb over the SCAF. I did a search on the web and found another FL3 and I bought it. I have an outboard DSP unit and I prefer the FL3 over the DSP unit (audio is cleaner/clearer). If you get a chance to try one, I'll bet you will buy it.
K9XT Rating: 2005-08-17
A superb audio filter and a true classic! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I recently was able to purchase a new in box Datong FL-3 Multi-mode filter, after having sold an FL-2 many years ago. I had forgotten about the quality of the Datong products and just how well the FL-2 and FL-3 filters work.

I encourage anyone looking for an audio filter to search for a Datong FL-2 or FL-3 and buy it immediately! If you see one at a hamfest, don't walk by it thinking it will still be on the table in an hour!

Its a shame that the Datong multimode filters are no longer readily available. This is a true classic of amateur radio.