Manager

Reviews For: Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna

Category: Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Comet GP-3 Dual Band Base Antenna
Reviews: 45MSRP: 89 (street)
Description:
Dual band (146 - 446 mhz) base station antenna. Fiberglass construction. Max power 200w. Length 5'11". Weight 2lbs 12 oz. SO-239 connector.
Product is in production
More Info: http://www.cometantenna.com
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
00454.9
N5RZX Rating: 2019-04-16
Product As Described Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Replaced a single band 5/8 wave with this in anticipation of getting a dual band rig. This antenna is allowing me to hit repeaters I never could have with the previous antenna, and the SWR is less than 1.2/1. I have mine attached to an old satellite dish arm, mounted on the side of the house. Not ideal, but works! Quality is outstanding. Everything is sturdy, heavy feel. Even came with cable wrap for waterproofing the connection. I would recommend this antenna (at least on 2m). Well worth it.
W5KVV Rating: 2018-11-20
Excellent Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
I have always been leery of hammy grade fiberglass antennas. I've had a few in the past that were pure garbage. However, this antenna is a breath of fresh air. It actually works, as advertised.

Construction is good. The materials appear to be of good quality. I much prefer the one piece mast over the larger two piece masts. I went over the antenna prior to install and couldn't find any joint or fitting that would require extra weather proofing. Not so with the two piece masts. The added gain of the bigger antennas is worthless if the antenna is full of water. I'll take longevity over gain any day of the week.

My antenna is 20' AGL. It's fed with TMS LMR400. VSWR as measured from my Anritsu Site Master S331C is 1.2:1 or less across 144-148 MHz. 440-450 MHz is slightly higher, 1.2:1 - 1.4:1 at band edges.

If you need a well built omni that won't break the bank and has a small footprint, I highly recommend the GP-3. I plan on ordering a couple more just to have on hand. The bang-to-buck ratio is hard to beat.
KQ4WH Rating: 2018-03-21
Great light Antenna Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Had a home made duel band "J" Pole antenna up about 30 feet, was just using with a 2 meter radio. Feed line was about 60 feet of mini 8. Purchased the GP 3 and 100 feed of low loss coax. Installed the GP 3 at 20 feet for testing and comparing. Even through the GP 3 was 10 feet lower, it was 2 S Units better on any repeater within range. This is a great Antenna, it is very light and has small wind loading. Currently have it at about 40 feet and an picking up stations I have never been able to hear before. I would absolute purchase again
KR5P Rating: 2018-03-20
Survived Two Hurricanes Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own three of these antennas. One of them was the first base antenna I bought after I was licensed in 2006. It went up on a metal mast on our chimney which put it at about 50 feet (two story house). The metal masts got bent over by hurricanes and tropical storms but the antenna survived. I finally took it down and replaced the mast with a fiberglass mast and a newer GP3 but the original would probably have been fine to leave up there. I live 10 miles from the Gulf of Mexico south of Houston so the environment is a bit harsh for shiny things on roofs.

Ron Parker, KR5P
VA3PDG Rating: 2017-02-16
Great Performance Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I own 3 of these. One is at the top of a 80' Tower, and has been for about 3 years. This antenna is great! Stands up to the wind and winter here in southern Ontario and performs really quite well. For the price, this is a great bit of kit imo.
K3ZXP Rating: 2016-10-16
great antenna for my needs. Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
I upgraded to this antenna in our new house and it has been up about 4 months. before thins had a Ringo ranger and a mobile antenna in the shack. it's mounted a chain link fence pole on the peak of the house about 25ft in the air. On this antenna i hear repeaters I never heard before and simplex stations that I didn't hear in the past or were scratchyI hearth all clearly. Last week when the south east got a hurricane we got heavy rain and wind gusts of up 60 + mph. also live in a very open area with large farm fields behind us. this antenna looks and works like the day I put it up.
KC9AAX Rating: 2016-02-27
Great antenna - lightweight, good performer Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
This antenna is a big improvement over the J-pole that I was using. It is much better on UHF and I am able to hit DMR repeaters in my area that I couldn't hit before. It is very lightweight and provides excellent protection from the elements. It is well made, very easy to install and I expect it will last for a long time.
VE7ABC Rating: 2016-02-05
Works as it should Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
A nice looking (neighbor friendly) antenna that performs. Easy to put together and install. I've got it about 5 feet above the BBQ hut_ 15 feet above ground - on a piece of 1 1/2" galvanized pipe and it allows me to work various repeaters with no problem. Have only tried one simplex contact (about 50 miles away) and was told that I had a good S8-S9 signal. The quality is very good and I'm happy with my purchase.
KY4TS Rating: 2014-08-13
Workhorse antenna! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
The RACES team I am involved with has several of these in use at the county EOC, a few fire departments, several hospitals and in our 2 mobile command posts, as well as a couple in emergency shelter kits. I've used them on tripods with 16' push up poles during county wide events at check points. They always perform to spec with no additional tuning required.
NZ0T Rating: 2013-06-18
Solid antenna! Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have owned my GP-3 for several years now. It is lightweight, well made and has low SWR over both bands. A move meant I had to take my tower and antennas down and when I was putting everything back up at the new QTH I managed to drop my GP-3 from 30 foot. This broke the fiberglass cover leaving only about an 8 inch stub but the copper inner workings of the antenna were fine. I found a piece of PVC pipe that fit perfectly, glued it over the stub and put the antenna up. It worked perfectly until a huge storm blew the PVC off - guess I didn't use enough glue! The innards of the antenna drooped and blew around in the Kansas weather for about 18 months until I finally was able to bring the GP-3 down a couple of days ago. I cleaned it up, re-flowed some of the solder joints and tried fitting the PVC back over it. It worked great! This time I used copious amounts of JB Weld to glue the PVC on and put the antenna back up. It works like new with SWR as low as ever. I know this is an extreme example and NGC would certainly not recommend doing what I did but I'm sold on how well built these antennas are.