Manager

eMail Subscription

Review Summary For : Icom PS-125
Reviews: 77MSRP: 299.95
Description:
This is a 25 amp continous and 30 amp peak power supply. It was built to match the Icom IC756 PRo and PRo 2
Product is in production
More Info: http://
# last 180 days Avg. Rating last 180 days Total reviews Avg. overall rating
15773.5
WR0F Rating: 2019-10-26
I keep buying these used Time Owned: 3 to 6 months.
When we bought our Icom 7610 we went looking at the almost matching PS-126 but price was too high. We stumbles upon the PS-125 on ebay and it came with the 6 pin to 4 pin adapter. It has worked flawlessly with no noise into the receiver. When we bought our ICOM 9700 the 1st thing we looked for was another PS-125 . The power supply is so flexible when you have that adapter cable 6 pin to 4 pin . It works great for portable operation when we drag out the Icom 7000 for field day use as it is light weight . Its over priced new but find a used one for $135 price range and be happy. I have 3 with no fan noise
WB0MCO Rating: 2016-12-08
Works for Me Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I agree with W8NIC, I have two in use right now.
They make fan noise but not to the point of being
loud. If you want loud stop by and listen to the
fan in my Alpha Amp.
W8NIC Rating: 2016-12-08
We All Bicker About Stupid Things Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I've had mine 2 of them, for 9 yrs now without a problem and I bought them USED!!!!. People complain about the fan noise that really isn't that bad..... other p/s make the same noise.
It's terrible that very many of us would complain via social media about something so stupid that a few people will consider petty.
Oh well..................
VK3RX Rating: 2014-09-23
Good but could be better. Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I have a PS126 that I've done the OZ1DB mod to so it runs at low level continuously, rather than roar into life every few minute like it used to. Recently the fan has started screeching for a minute or so on power up. At the moment I've cured that by turning the PS126 on its side. Looks like I'll have to pick up one of the Mouser replacements.
KI6OSH Rating: 2014-09-05
Flawless... Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This came with my Icom 746 Pro purchased in 2008 and has worked perfectly since. Noise not a factor to me, the fan is heard but barely. A power supply that is not too large and works as it should. What more can you ask for?
W5WSS Rating: 2014-08-08
Nice Product Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I acquired mine at a ham festival for $100 though I agree that the price is expensive when purchased new. The quality and performance is excellent with quiet stable DC power to spare for my IC-718. The configuration option is nice although I do not need to make it match dimensions. I have been using the supply with the IC-718 since 2008 with flawless service.

DAVEW5LP Rating: 2013-10-24
Great power supply Time Owned: more than 12 months.
This is a great power supply. A little pricy but mine has lasted a long time with no failures. Fan noise is not nor has ever been an issue; hardly ever notice it.
PE1RTC Rating: 2011-12-17
Too noisy for the money Time Owned: 6 to 12 months.
Have used one with an Icom 756 pro. It works well, with no spikes on shortwave, as some power supplies of the switching type do. But in my opinion the fan is too noisy. I've selled it and bought an SPA-8230. You don't hear the fan, no spikes and i can get 3 of these supplies for the price of one PS-125.
WA5KPE Rating: 2011-08-22
Get an Alinco Time Owned: more than 12 months.
I got the PS-125 "free" with my IC-756ProIII as part of the closeout deal. I am glad I did not pay for it. The fan was loud from the beginning and started screeching after about three months. I just set it aside and forgot about it. I hooked up my long time Alinco DM-330MV which is silent. I found the PS-125 the other day and decided to replace the fan with one with the same part number and specifications from Mouser. This fan is just as loud as the original but it does not screech. The PS-125 fan is much louder than my ProIII fan cooing a hot radio. The noise is a deal killer because I often operate psk in the family room with other family members present.

----------------------
Earlier 0-star review posted by WA5KPE on 2010-03-27

I received the PS-125 "free" with the ProIII. A screeching cooling fan prompted me to write this. That just started. When operating normally in the receive mode the fan cylcles about every 45-60 seconds. It comes on for any transmission. It was loud and annoying even before the screeching started. In contrast my Alinco DM-330MV which I have used for five years almost never turns the fan on even when transmitting; and when it does it is very quiet. I guess that is why they have to give away the PS-125 because nobody who knows anything about the PS-125 would voluntarily pay for one.
PY1FR Rating: 2011-05-22
Silently and without EMI Time Owned: 0 to 3 months.
Although some friends reporting problems of fan noise from PS-125, I did not present this problem. The fan kicks in quite silent. Also have not noticed any problems related to EMI. I just think its pretty high price so I rate 4.